News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Quo Vadis GOP?

Started by Syt, January 09, 2021, 07:46:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Larch

Admiral Yi

Quote from: The Larch on November 25, 2022, 07:39:09 PMIt's the beanie, right? So edgy.

It's a watch cap, which is pretty edgy.  Jack Nicholson killed the watch cap in One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest and The Last Detail.  And his only competition is Matt Walsh's neck beard.

The Larch

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 25, 2022, 08:47:20 PM
Quote from: The Larch on November 25, 2022, 07:39:09 PMIt's the beanie, right? So edgy.

It's a watch cap, which is pretty edgy.  Jack Nicholson killed the watch cap in One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest and The Last Detail.  And his only competition is Matt Walsh's neck beard.

Aren't they basically the same thing? A beanie and a watch cap, I mean.

grumbler

Quote from: The Larch on November 25, 2022, 09:02:36 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 25, 2022, 08:47:20 PM

Aren't they basically the same thing? A beanie and a watch cap, I mean.

I think that generally a watch cap is considered a type of beanie but fits more closely to the top of the skull than other types like ski caps.  Lots of other beanie types don't have the folded rim like a watch cap or ski cap.

So, yeah, basically the same thing but not always termed that way.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Razgovory

Jack Posobiec is a Nazi.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

The Larch

QuoteTexas Governor Greg Abbott sends two busloads of immigrants to the DC residence of VP Kamala Harris on Christmas Eve - one of the coldest nights on record.

The Republicans insist on shamelessly and cruelly using vulnerable people as political weapons. At least DeSantis sent them by plane rather than by bus.

Richard Hakluyt

Quote from: The Larch on December 26, 2022, 04:05:39 AM
QuoteTexas Governor Greg Abbott sends two busloads of immigrants to the DC residence of VP Kamala Harris on Christmas Eve - one of the coldest nights on record.

The Republicans insist on shamelessly and cruelly using vulnerable people as political weapons. At least DeSantis sent them by plane rather than by bus.

more details on this outrageous behaviour :

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2022/dec/25/kamala-harris-migrant-buses-christmas-eve-texas

I'm surprised this is even legal; but perhaps it isn't; Republicans don't seem to put much store in obeying the law of the land.

mongers

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on December 26, 2022, 07:19:10 AM

more details on this outrageous behaviour :

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2022/dec/25/kamala-harris-migrant-buses-christmas-eve-texas

I'm surprised this is even legal; but perhaps it isn't; Republicans don't seem to put much store in obeying the law of the land.

Shameful.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

The Minsky Moment

This is apparently what passes for being a good "Christian" in today's America.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Admiral Yi

Have the migrants been coerced or tricked into going?  I've heard about investigations into that issue but not a lot about the results.

I called this stunt clever political theater before, in part because any Democratic counter-narrative is difficult to sustain. 

If De Santos and friends are imposing a burden on the destination states, then that's a burden the arrival states were already bearing.

If the migrants went up voluntarily, then they can't be cast as the victims.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 26, 2022, 06:37:38 PMI called this stunt clever political theater before, in part because any Democratic counter-narrative is difficult to sustain. 

if that is so, it says awful things about our national character.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Admiral Yi

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on December 26, 2022, 06:45:45 PMif that is so, it says awful things about our national character.

You chopped out the part where I explained why it doesn't say awful things about our national character.  That's not like you.

Jacob

It's still shitty to send them to someone's house, independently of whether they want to go.

grumbler

There are mechanisms for moving refugees from the arrival states to states that have prepared to take them.  Such mechanisms don't serve De Santis's political objective, though, so he bypasses them to create political theater at the expense of the refugees.  There is certainly benefits to De Santis to doing this, as one of our posters here thinks that it is admirable because "clever."  It certainly does not benefit the refugees, who are just doing what they are told and then being dumped somewhere that is not prepared to receive them.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

grumbler

Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 26, 2022, 06:50:38 PM
Quote from: The Minsky Moment on December 26, 2022, 06:45:45 PMif that is so, it says awful things about our national character.

You chopped out the part where I explained why it doesn't say awful things about our national character.  That's not like you.

You explained nothing, you just stated something for which there is no evidence.

Bayraktar!