News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Quo Vadis GOP?

Started by Syt, January 09, 2021, 07:46:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jacob

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on October 20, 2022, 04:04:50 PMThey will do it to push through the national abortion ban.  The party has become more radicalized now than it was then. 

Forgive my ignorance of basic American legislative process... if the GOP controls both houses they can pass a bill to outlaw abortion, but wouldn't Biden refuse to sign it? Is it worth it for them to kill the filibuster for a bill that won't be signed? Or is there a way they can force it into law anyways?

grumbler

Quote from: Jacob on October 20, 2022, 04:36:44 PMForgive my ignorance of basic American legislative process... if the GOP control both houses they can pass a bill to outlaw abortion, but wouldn't Biden refuse to sign it? Is it worth it for them to kill the filibuster for a bill that won't be signed? Or is there a way they can force it into law anyways?

It might be worth doing to say that you did it, even if you couldn't over-ride a veto.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

The Minsky Moment

Thinking logically about the legislative process works misses the point.  This is a party divorced from reality and addicted to performative politics.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Jacob

Okay, my assumption was that they'd only kill the filibuster for an actual result - and you think that's incorrect. Fair enough.

But my core understanding is correct? That as long as Biden is president, the Republicans won't be able to pass national anti-abortion legislation even if they control both houses?

grumbler

Quote from: Jacob on October 20, 2022, 05:27:20 PMBut my core understanding is correct? That as long as Biden is president, the Republicans won't be able to pass national anti-abortion legislation even if they control both houses?

Correct.  It takes a 2/3 majority in both chambers to over-ride a veto.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Jacob

celedhring

:huh:

QuoteRep. Anthony Sabatini
@AnthonySabatini
·
Oct 20
"I answer only to God and to History."

-Francisco Franco
Rep. Anthony Sabatini
@AnthonySabatini
Anyone who criticizes the above tweet is extremely un-American

He's just a Florida State Rep that lost the primary for the US Congress. But still...

The Larch

alfred russel

Outreach to conservative hispanics?
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Valmy

Did Francisco Franco speak English? Or is this his cousin Francisco Franco from Jacksonville?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

The Minsky Moment

It's a true statement.  Franco does now answer only to God and history.  And he has a lot of explaining to do to both. 
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

The Larch

Quote from: Valmy on October 21, 2022, 07:24:35 AMDid Francisco Franco speak English?

Quite poorly, or at least he was able to readi it phonetically. There's a video of him sending a message to Britain at the onset of the SCW to defend his position that should be somewhere on Youtube.

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

The Larch

Is that an FBI lineup?

Admiral Yi

Tim Pool wins edgiest.