Main Menu

Did I miss anything?

Started by Jacob, January 07, 2021, 10:35:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tamas

Quote from: Jacob on January 07, 2021, 12:38:08 PM
Quote from: Tyr on January 07, 2021, 12:12:57 PM
How long has it been? :unsure:
Me.... Bought a house, lived through the starting salvo of the end of the UK, kid on the way, dog and travel plans delayed, rediscovered tangerines.

A little over two years I think... when I click on a thread and go to the last unread post they seem to be from around Nov 2018 or so.

Congratulations on the house and the soon to be parenthood. Where's the house?

Two years?! Welcome back Jacob!

I have left the gaming industry and become a British citizen in fairly quick succession. The former kind of added to the list of things to be schizophrenic about. I am alternating between loving to be rid of it and missing it terribly. :)

Sheilbh

Jacob! :w00t: :hug:

Lovely to see you. Not much has happened for me. I went away and came back.
Let's bomb Russia!

Richard Hakluyt

Josquius

A little over two years I think... when I click on a thread and go to the last unread post they seem to be from around Nov 2018 or so.

Thanks.
I'm still in Newcastle at the end of it all. Foreign partner though so I'm not trapped here, certainly don't plan to put the youngling through the English education system.
██████
██████
██████

Tamas

Quote from: Tyr on January 08, 2021, 06:02:38 AM
certainly don't plan to put the youngling through the English education system.

Why not? :unsure:

Syt

Quote from: Tyr on January 08, 2021, 06:02:38 AM

Thanks.
I'm still in Newcastle at the end of it all. Foreign partner though so I'm not trapped here, certainly don't plan to put the youngling through the English education system.

I thought you'd send them to Eton, if a boy.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Josquius

QuoteWhy not? :unsure:
In my experience even a Dutch hogeschool gives better education quality than a top 20 British uni. A decent European uni shits all over a British one.
At the lower level the system just seems fundamentally setup better elsewhere in Europe too. Far less focus on studying your arse off for one exam on one day that determines your entire life and more based on assessments over your time at school.
The British system is also way too obsessed with people who are good at exams with kids who have a more practical mindset being basically just thrown on the scrap heap.

Then there's the more recent developments in the UK with the push to instill more nationalism, the general societal shittiness, etc...

In my mind I've got the first years of primary in England being fine but once education starts getting serious they're better off elsewhere.

Quote from: Syt on January 08, 2021, 07:01:09 AM

I thought you'd send them to Eton, if a boy.
I'm from the complete opposite end of the class system. :p
██████
██████
██████

Maladict

Quote from: Tyr on January 08, 2021, 07:32:27 AM

In my experience even a Dutch hogeschool gives better education quality than a top 20 British uni.

Languish meet!

I have a lot of contacts in the Dutch International School sphere, let me know if you need something.  :)

Josquius

Quote from: Maladict on January 08, 2021, 07:55:41 AM

In my experience even a Dutch hogeschool gives better education quality than a top 20 British uni.

Languish meet!

I have a lot of contacts in the Dutch International School sphere, let me know if you need something.  :)

10 years too late there, I did my erasmus in such a place :p
Remains to be seen exactly where in Europe we end up. Hopefully not just in Switzerland, parts of France nearby seem the economic option for the moment though god knows. Fully intend to impress upon the kid that Europe is their country and they can go wherever they want though.
██████
██████
██████

mongers

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Maladict

Quote from: Tyr on January 08, 2021, 10:29:32 AM

I meant for the kid, so rather a few years too soon.

mongers

Quote from: Tyr on January 08, 2021, 10:29:32 AM
Quote from: Maladict on January 08, 2021, 07:55:41 AM

Languish meet!

Remains to be seen exactly where in Europe we end up. Hopefully not just in Switzerland, parts of France nearby seem the economic option for the moment though god knows. Fully intend to impress upon the kid that Europe is their country and they can go wherever they want though.

I predict that Try, despite his best efforts, will sire two or three little englanders, who'll want to move back to UK and join the successor to UKIP, the EIP.

:P
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Jacob

Quote from: katmai on January 08, 2021, 12:28:12 AM
I spent 2019 in Washington state working and trying to get n touch with my danish-Canuck friend to see about visiting Vancouver <_<
2020 has been spent living in frozen wastelands of Alaska.

Pretty sure you could've reached out on Facebook if you actually wanted to talk to me  :lol:

Jacob

Quote from: Tamas on January 08, 2021, 05:07:50 AM
Two years?! Welcome back Jacob!

I have left the gaming industry and become a British citizen in fairly quick succession. The former kind of added to the list of things to be schizophrenic about. I am alternating between loving to be rid of it and missing it terribly. :)

Thank you! I'm still in games. I assume you're still in some sort of software dev, right?