News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

How will Trump go?

Started by The Larch, January 06, 2021, 06:20:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

How do you think Trump will leave the presidency?

Impeachment
1 (4.3%)
25th amendment
2 (8.7%)
Not until the 20th of January
18 (78.3%)
Something else (describe)
1 (4.3%)
He'll somehow pull it off and won't leave
1 (4.3%)

Total Members Voted: 22

Jacob

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on January 07, 2021, 10:57:19 PM
Still need 2/3 to convict in the Senate. Not going to happen.

Right. Yeah that's a non starter.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: DGuller on January 07, 2021, 11:48:08 PM
I'm still hoping that a lot of Republicans are happy to kick Trump while he's down, as long as they can be sure that they can kick him to death.  A lot of them are probably horrified at the thought of being held hostage to him indefinitely, just like they have been the last four years.  However, if Republicans do turn on him, they'll only do so if they can do so nearly unanimously.  It will either be 92-7 or Democrats with Mitch again.

You mean Mitt, right?
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

DGuller

Oh, right, it's probably not likely that Mitch McConnell will be the only GOP yes vote.

Valmy

If Mitch went along it would provide enough cover to get 2/3rds though.

It doesn't look like Warnock and Ossoff will have their election results confirmed until about the time Biden is sworn in as President so that kind of reduces the odds.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

DGuller

Mitch doesn't just have to go along, he also has to make sure that few of any Republicans get to grandstand as the one true defender of Trump.  It has to be a near-unanimous denunciation so that no one is left to lead the charge.

Syt

Quote from: DGuller on January 08, 2021, 01:25:33 AM
Mitch doesn't just have to go along, he also has to make sure that few of any Republicans get to grandstand as the one true defender of Trump.  It has to be a near-unanimous denunciation so that no one is left to lead the charge.

Not going to happen. They're too fearful of of losing the resentful white vote. I mean, over 100 Republican Representatives voted against the certification of the vote. That amount of hostility didn't make it into Congress by accident.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

DGuller

Probably not, but loss of power can come very suddenly, especially in authoritarian systems (and Trump's power is very authoritarian in nature).  If everyone decides that now is the time to turn on the alpha male, then what was unthinkable yesterday can become inevitable tomorrow.  It's not like Trump has been an asset in elections lately.