News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Jesus Christ this is insane.

Started by Berkut, January 03, 2021, 01:00:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DGuller

It's also a professional curiosity.  How can a workers' compensation coverage leave someone not fully covered for medical expenses?  I know it's a shitty way to get your medical expenses covered, and I know that laws can limit the compensation you get for a partial permanent disability like losing a hand, but treatment and rehab should always be covered fully, I would think (though you may be required to get treatment from Dr. Nick Riviera).

Tamas

Quote from: DGuller on January 20, 2021, 11:49:06 AM
WTF, how can it be that not all medical costs of on-the-job shooting are covered?

WTF

grumbler

WTF, how can it be that not all medical costs of on-the-job shooting are covered?

I think that the medical and rehab costs are covered, but not things like being on disability and so getting only something like 60% of your pay.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Berkut

I think there are also potential costs that would be not covered - insurance is going to cover whatever is considered the standard of care, which is not necessarily the same thing as the best possible care.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

grumbler

Quote from: Berkut on January 20, 2021, 09:55:07 PM
I think there are also potential costs that would be not covered - insurance is going to cover whatever is considered the standard of care, which is not necessarily the same thing as the best possible care.

Good point - quality of the pins used, for example, or the specific types of rehab programs.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Valmy on January 20, 2021, 03:03:26 PM

It is just the way our system works. Glad the community stepped up to help.

Anything really serious happening to you will leave you basically bankrupt even if you have insurance. 'Murica.
Our system doesn't work
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Berkut

0 rows returned

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Berkut on May 17, 2022, 07:08:08 PMKind of crazy is takes this long to get an open and shut trial started.

Actually, that's a pretty good time for a capital attempted murder case in the middle of pandemic backlog. Loudon County apparently didn't get rolling on their jury trials again until this past January.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: CountDeMoney on May 17, 2022, 07:31:21 PMLoudon County apparently didn't get rolling on their jury trials again until this past January.

January of '21, LOL.  Fuck, it's '22.  nvm

Berkut

Shooter was convicted on 10 of 12 charges, including both attempted capital murder charges, and the felony malicious wounding, which all carry life sentences. Sentencing won't be for a couple months though.

0 rows returned

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Berkut on May 28, 2022, 12:50:42 PMShooter was convicted on 10 of 12 charges, including both attempted capital murder charges, and the felony malicious wounding, which all carry life sentences. Sentencing won't be for a couple months though.
Good to hear.

What were the charges that he was acquitted on?

How is your nephew doing?
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Berkut

Quote from: jimmy olsen on May 28, 2022, 08:49:05 PM
Quote from: Berkut on May 28, 2022, 12:50:42 PMShooter was convicted on 10 of 12 charges, including both attempted capital murder charges, and the felony malicious wounding, which all carry life sentences. Sentencing won't be for a couple months though.
Good to hear.

What were the charges that he was acquitted on?

How is your nephew doing?
Two charges of criminal wounding or attempted wounding or something like that.

The two Wal-mart employees in the room were wounded as well - they were both hit with bullet fragments, almost certainly from the bullets that hit Camron. But Cam's partner shot the suspect, and the defense argued that there was no real way to know which fragments hit the wal mart employees.

Now, that actually (legally) doesn't even matter. Even if you could prove that the fragments came from Camron or his partners gun, the responsibility is still with the criminal who caused the gunfight to happen. I think he was charged with 12 counts, and the jury wanted to find him innocent of *something*.

Camron, overall, is doing very well. He has likely permanent nerve damage in his left leg, so won't ever be likely to run again, but he is able to walk pretty well now. 

0 rows returned

grumbler

Quote from: Berkut on May 29, 2022, 07:45:33 AMCamron, overall, is doing very well. He has likely permanent nerve damage in his left leg, so won't ever be likely to run again, but he is able to walk pretty well now.

My understanding from the news reports is that he will be unable to continue as a policeman.  Is that true?  If so, does he have other plans made yet?  Ther3e's money to be made in school security.  Independent schools in particular are likely to be looking for someone.

Bayraktar!

Berkut

Quote from: grumbler on May 29, 2022, 01:30:31 PM
Quote from: Berkut on May 29, 2022, 07:45:33 AMCamron, overall, is doing very well. He has likely permanent nerve damage in his left leg, so won't ever be likely to run again, but he is able to walk pretty well now.

My understanding from the news reports is that he will be unable to continue as a policeman.  Is that true?  If so, does he have other plans made yet?  Ther3e's money to be made in school security.  Independent schools in particular are likely to be looking for someone.
<whince>

Yeah, well, that is a good question.

He likely will never pass the physical requirements for a typical police officer, is my understanding.

He might actually go get a degree. Which I am trying to encourage. Of course, his mom will want him to go to Liberty University or some nonsense like that.

0 rows returned