EU links future funding on rule of law, Hungary & Poland threaten budget veto

Started by The Larch, November 16, 2020, 11:52:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

I feel Hungary keeps sending insults in order to start a war to break vassalage. :P
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Tamas

Quote from: Syt on November 30, 2020, 04:51:27 AM
I feel Hungary keeps sending insults in order to start a war to break vassalage. :P

:lol:

For sure, though, I am fairly certain some EU leaders (and Orban) look at these stolen grant money as a sort of tribute paid to keep the periphery in the EU's orbit as opposed to Russia (and possibly China, as Orban has been making a LOT of shady mega-deals with China the last couple of years).

Tonitrus

Quote from: grumbler on November 29, 2020, 10:39:33 PM
Quote from: Monoriu on November 29, 2020, 09:06:08 PM
The EU should stand for Earth's Union.  It should aim to be a single market for all, with total free trade, no tariffs, a single set of trade rules, and a single currency.  Anybody who wants those can join.
You'd have a hard time convincing governments to give up their monetary power.  Single currencies only work if there is a single political economy across the single currency region.  You really think the Chinese Occupation Government is going to give up its political-economic decision-making to Brussels?

If we're going to give them the "COG" moniker, we should go with Chinese Overlord Government.  :nerd:

Sheilbh

Latest story I've seen on this is that Hungary and Poland aren't backing down. The Commission are preparing for an emergency budget which will be smaller than current spending but is allowed until the proper budget is agreed. In the meantime Hungary and Poland would get less money (and the four frugals would lose their rebates) with the emergency budget but no-one's budging.

There's also talk that the Commission's looking at a creative solution on the covid recovery fund, which means something outside the treaties or based on a very tortured interpretation. I think that's probably right because countries are going to need that money soon (if they don't already).
Let's bomb Russia!

Sheilbh

Poland is open (and I assume Hungary is too - since they're coordinating very closely on this) to supporting the budget on condition that it comes with a binding explanatory note that the rule of law mechanism is only to be used in relation to the use of EU funds.
Let's bomb Russia!

Tamas

Seems like a deal is near, brief reading suggests to me the idea will be neutered beyond all recognition and business as usual will resume.

Sheilbh

I hadn't realised but apparently in Poland it's the junior coalition partner that is most strongly against this. The Justice Minister from that party tweeted yesterday: "If the regulation linking the budget with ideology comes into force, it will be a significant limitation of Polish sovereignty... We do not agree to this!!!"
Let's bomb Russia!

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

Quote from: Tamas on November 30, 2020, 04:37:17 AM
That, sir was not an empire but Hungary proper.  :P

Besides, nobody thinks leaving the EU could move us back in time to that.

Croatia and Romania don't want to join the Magyar Commonwealth?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Valmy on December 10, 2020, 02:49:12 PM
Quote from: Tamas on November 30, 2020, 04:37:17 AM
That, sir was not an empire but Hungary proper.  :P

Besides, nobody thinks leaving the EU could move us back in time to that.

Croatia and Romania don't want to join the Magyar Commonwealth?

It would only be Transylvania, so not Romania proper.  :P

Valmy

I am sure the benevolent leaders of the Magyar Commonwealth would make an exception.

Duque de Bragança

Only as vassals, at best. To protect them from the Turk, of course.