Has the Trump presidency changed you, politically?

Started by Oexmelin, January 10, 2021, 01:00:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

I'm wondering/hopeful that while social media is doing the right thing now, it'll build momentum for lawmakers to do something to reign in their outsized influence on society.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

jimmy olsen

Moved from moderate democrat to FDR style new democrat favorable to the Sanders/Warren wing of the party.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

The Larch

Quote from: jimmy olsen on January 12, 2021, 07:03:12 AM
Moved from moderate democrat to FDR style new democrat favorable to the Sanders/Warren wing of the party.

And to think you used to be a neocon during the Bush era...  :P

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Threviel

Concurrently with Trump, Bush and all this neo-conservative movement there's been a similar development in Sweden. Our old Nazi party branded itself as conservative and has grown from <1% to 20ish % stable. My old conservative/liberal party went social liberal, gained power for 8 years and then with the loss took a sharp turn right and is now a new style conservative party going on about harsher punishments and lower taxes wanting to rule in coalition with the old Nazi's and the Christian fundamentalist party.

The other rightist parties have either gone into irrelevance or gone full out retard libertarian.

The Social Democrats on the other hand won the 2014 election and have been ruling somewhat competently since then.

Myself, I'm an old style social liberal or sometimes conservative. I have nowhere to turn. And with GOP and Trump I've come to realise that I should perhaps not go for blind party loyalty and instead vote for the responsible, somewhat misruling Social Democrats rather than the Conservatives trying to rule together with the old Nazis.  :cry:

Valmy

Quote from: Oexmelin on January 11, 2021, 07:46:18 PM
Quote from: Valmy on January 11, 2021, 05:11:55 PM
Our system is pretty draconian, I don't think our people are...generally.

Ask your African-American colleagues, just to confirm. 

I mean African Americans voted for Trump at a rate larger than other Republicans in the past so clearly some of them decided to treat him as just another candidate to vote for.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

viper37

Quote from: Oexmelin on January 10, 2021, 01:00:33 PM
I asked the question before. I am asking again, as we near the end of the Trump presidency.
I seem to be much more centrist than I was.

But I've just been basically told by my best friend that weaks like me do not deserve the freedom to live if it means he's forbidden from seeing his girlfriend after 20:00.  That might have changed my perspectives too.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Valmy

Quote from: viper37 on January 12, 2021, 08:23:52 PM
But I've just been basically told by my best friend that weaks like me do not deserve the freedom to live if it means he's forbidden from seeing his girlfriend after 20:00.  That might have changed my perspectives too.

Huh?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Jacob

Quote from: Valmy on January 12, 2021, 08:30:06 PM
Quote from: viper37 on January 12, 2021, 08:23:52 PM

Huh?

Viper's friend is an anti-masker who thinks that he should be able to see his girlfriend when he chooses during the pandemic, and if Viper is a weakling who dies from that well that's just too bad.

(at least that's my read)

Oexmelin

There is a curfew now in Quebec. We are not supposed to go out of the house after 8 PM.
Que le grand cric me croque !