News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Xmas / Holiday Season 2020

Started by mongers, November 15, 2020, 08:14:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

viper37

I'm used to seeing most of my family during Christmas.  Some are just too far away, or have scheduling conflicts they can't resolve, but I still see most of them between Christmas and the New Year.

On my mother's side, I haven't seen my family for a year.  Christmas was the last time I saw them.  I was sick for the New Year's dinner so I stayed home.  I was sick at my birthday so I stayed home.  I was supposed to see them mid march for my cousin's son birthday... Fucking Chinese.

On my dad's side at least, I saw some of them.  One my cousin from Montreal dropped by in June after taking a vacation in the eastern part of the province, we had a lot of fun, especially with the kids :)  Her dad dropped by a week later too, and I met some of my uncles and aunts in Quebec city, in a restaurant, before the mask mandate, in the brief period where gatherings were permitted.

Still, I can't see my cousins, I can't see my extended family in Ontario, I can't see the ones I'm closest with for a while longer. :(
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

mongers

I think I'll have to 'lay the law down' for the extended family, to ignore the Johnson Xmas truce and continue with a stricter regime; otherwise I think I'll have to wash my hands of the situation.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Maladict

It will probably be me, my parents and sister+husband and kids. My gf is still debating whether or not to go see her family in the US, it's a tricky one.

Syt

I usually spend Christmas Eve with friends' family, but I will skip this year for sure.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Tamas

Quote from: Maladict on November 26, 2020, 06:08:33 AM
It will probably be me, my parents and sister+husband and kids. My gf is still debating whether or not to go see her family in the US, it's a tricky one.

For me and my wife there were two considerations: age of family members to visit, and implications of local restrictions.

I was already very hesitant to potentially expose my aging parents and elderly grandmother, but I considered perhaps properly isolating myself from them for the first few days and doing it that way.

But then Hungary decided to basically forcibly quarantine people in hospital if they deem them a risk upon their border crossing, so risking that happening to my non-Hungarian speaking wife was right out.

Maladict

Quote from: Tamas on November 26, 2020, 06:26:30 AM
Quote from: Maladict on November 26, 2020, 06:08:33 AM

For me and my wife there were two considerations: age of family members to visit, and implications of local restrictions.

I was already very hesitant to potentially expose my aging parents and elderly grandmother, but I considered perhaps properly isolating myself from them for the first few days and doing it that way.

But then Hungary decided to basically forcibly quarantine people in hospital if they deem them a risk upon their border crossing, so risking that happening to my non-Hungarian speaking wife was right out.

My parents have been out and about this whole year, not being stupid or contrarian but definitely taking more risks than I have. Most of my friends have been noticing the same difference with their parents, must be a generational thing. But my parents will be having people over for dinner at Christmas, if not me then someone else.

Eddie Teach

Older people have had longer to accept that death is a part of life. In many cases, a welcome one.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Legbiter

My parents have not required me nagging them, thankfully. Christmas will just be me and my immediate family (us, mom and dad plus my sisters). That's my risk tolerance.
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

Darth Wagtaros

Very little.  We'll get each other some small things and donate more to Toys for Tots I guess. Maybe some Zoom calls with family.
PDH!

mongers

Merry Xmas you sad bunch of old tossers. :cheers:

KRonn

I don't have the usual plans of having dinner with family and relatives. Most are staying within their own family group except that grandparents might visit  to see grand kids but keep their distance and no family dinners. We've all been talking on the phone and texting good wishes and sad that we aren't getting together. Saying we're looking forward to a return to normalcy next year.

I was going to cook something or buy a take out meal but I had cooked a big batch of chicken soup earlier in the week so I'll be having that. Going to the market tomorrow early during senior hours and will buy a ham or instead burger for meat loaf, something like that.

mongers

Quote from: KRonn on December 25, 2020, 03:19:29 PM
I don't have the usual plans of having dinner with family and relatives. Most are staying within their own family group except that grandparents might visit  to see grand kids but keep their distance and no family dinners. We've all been talking on the phone and texting good wishes and sad that we aren't getting together. Saying we're looking forward to a return to normalcy next year.

I was going to cook something or buy a take out meal but I had cooked a big batch of chicken soup earlier in the week so I'll be having that. Going to the market tomorrow early during senior hours and will buy a ham or instead burger for meat loaf, something like that.

Hey, KRonn good to hear from you, glad you dug ourself out of the latest pile of snow, have a Merry Christmas and New Years. :cheers:

Josquius

Drove home and hung out with parents, gf, and aunt. Lots of food. Weird and different to normal but felt long and I'm shattered.

I'm not sure I will even make midnight on new year
██████
██████
██████

Barrister

We invited a single mom and her daughter that we're long-time friends with (and not in some act of charity - she's a Provost at the U of Alberta).  They came over on Christmas Eve and Christmas morn, we're on a pause now while kids play with toys, then we're heading to their house for Christmas dinner.  Also lots of FaceTime calls with extended family.

It's been nice. :)
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.