What does a BIDEN Presidency look like?

Started by Caliga, November 07, 2020, 12:07:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oexmelin

Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 27, 2021, 10:34:27 PM
Ah, that's a different argument than the one I was responding to.

I was saying you can out organize reduced voting hours etc.

I agree you can't out organize Republican election officials overturning election results.

Ah, yes.
Que le grand cric me croque !

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Oexmelin on July 27, 2021, 10:26:43 PM
Considering the Republican Kool-Aid right now, I am not sure that even some huge margin - like 80% - would convince them it's not a steal.

On the contrary it would convince them even more that it had to be a steal. 
All data is interpreted to confirm the hypothesis.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

garbon

Given the average of politicians as of late, weird to think Obama isn't yet 60.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

celedhring

:D

Kinda curious about that Trump mid-term "bump".

Admiral Yi

Only in You Kay right?  So probably connected to his stupid tweets about Brexit.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 31, 2021, 04:39:04 AM
Only in You Kay right?  So probably connected to his stupid tweets about Brexit.
No - it looks like everywhere bumped at around the same time. And by the looks of it it's 2019/20. I've no idea - maybe the Arab-Israeli deal with Saudi and the UAE? :hmm:
Let's bomb Russia!

grumbler

The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Sheilbh

Just to go back to the ranking conversation - 1943 book "They Also Ran", where biographer Irving Stone gave his view on defeated presidential candidates and, in this amazing cover, gave a visual impression of what he thought of each of them v their opponent:

I feel like this would probably look a little different maybe - but maybe not (and good God he hated Harding :lol:)
Let's bomb Russia!

Eddie Teach

Probably a puritan who hated Harding's hedonism.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Admiral Yi

Finding it difficult to fit a pattern to Stone's biases.

Maybe anti-slavery + idealism?

Sheilbh

Given that it was 1943 and then updated for 1944 I sort of thought maybe some high New Deal idealism - but he doesn't really seem to rate FDR that much and it just doesn't seem to fit.

I mean it looks like a fascinating book and was last updated in 1966 - can't find a copy anywhere:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/They_Also_Ran

I particularly like that he groups them by profession/background.

But Stone wrote biographical novels like The Agony and the Ecstasy about Michaelangelo, later adapted into the film. So maybe he rated interesting/novel candidates highly (a man after my own heart :lol:)?
Let's bomb Russia!

Valmy

Man what the hell was wrong with Henry Clay Mr. Stone?

I figure Douglas and Lincoln are actual true to life scale there.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

grumbler

Quote from: Admiral Yi on August 02, 2021, 05:46:27 PM
Finding it difficult to fit a pattern to Stone's biases.

Maybe anti-slavery + idealism?

It looks to me like he thought the quality of a president was a function of the extent to which they were accused of violating the US Constitution.  That's the only list that would have Lincoln, FDR, and Andrew Fucking Jackson all near the top.

The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Sheilbh

Wasn't the sort of 30s/40s/mid-century America the peak of Jackson's reception though? Man of the people and an inspiration and ancestor of the huge reforming energy of progressivism and then the New Deal in taking on vested, entrenched interests and standing up for the common man. I don't know if it's when they started but wasn't it very much the age of the Jefferson-Jackson dinner?

That reception then changed as mainstream concepts of the people and the common man expanded.
Let's bomb Russia!

Valmy

Quote from: Sheilbh on August 02, 2021, 07:16:02 PM
Wasn't the sort of 30s/40s/mid-century America the peak of Jackson's reception though? Man of the people and an inspiration and ancestor of the huge reforming energy of progressivism and then the New Deal in taking on vested, entrenched interests and standing up for the common man. I don't know if it's when they started but wasn't it very much the age of the Jefferson-Jackson dinner?

That reception then changed as mainstream concepts of the people and the common man expanded.

Even if you love Jackson I just found the dismissing of the Henry Clay as surprising. Maybe he just really hates high tariffs and internal improvements.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."