What does a BIDEN Presidency look like?

Started by Caliga, November 07, 2020, 12:07:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mongers

Afghanistan is beginning to have echoes of South Vietnam in early 1975.

The midnight flight from Bagram doesn't have good optics.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

DGuller

It sucks that clearly a sustainable government couldn't take root in the country, but you can't be propping it up indefinitely.

The Brain

Quote from: DGuller on July 07, 2021, 07:20:10 AM
It sucks that clearly a sustainable government couldn't take root in the country, but you can't be propping it up indefinitely.

You guys are still propping up Washington though?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

DGuller

Quote from: The Brain on July 07, 2021, 07:21:27 AM

:huh: We laid him to rest more than 200 years ago.

crazy canuck

Quote from: DGuller on July 07, 2021, 07:37:41 AM

Ok Timmay

The Brain

Quote from: crazy canuck on July 07, 2021, 11:24:08 AM
Quote from: DGuller on July 07, 2021, 07:37:41 AM

Ok Timmay

^_^

Barrister

Why not?
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

DGuller

Quote from: Barrister on July 07, 2021, 11:32:42 AM

Why not?
Because military interventions are unsustainable on a permanent basis.  Maybe things would be different if we lived in a colonial age and could keep governments in power under threat of massive and unfair punitive actions, but alas that era is in the past.

Barrister

Quote from: DGuller on July 07, 2021, 12:27:07 PM

Why not?
Because military interventions are unsustainable on a permanent basis.  Maybe things would be different if we lived in a colonial age and could keep governments in power under threat of massive and unfair punitive actions, but alas that era is in the past.

Quick research suggests the US spends $45 billion per year on its military forces in Afghanistan, down quite a bit from it's peak.  That's not an insignificant sum, but seems to me to be a fair price for not allowing the Taliban back in power.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Barrister on July 07, 2021, 01:31:11 PM
Quick research suggests the US spends $45 billion per year on its military forces in Afghanistan, down quite a bit from it's peak.  That's not an insignificant sum, but seems to me to be a fair price for not allowing the Taliban back in power.

I don't see how the US gets 45 billion in benefit a year out of that deal.

Non-Taliban Afghans, instead of fighting for their country, moved to Germany.

Jacob

Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 07, 2021, 02:27:20 PM
Non-Taliban Afghans, instead of fighting for their country, moved to Germany.

I don't think that's completely accurate....

The Brain

Why not?

He knows that his country is a colony, you don't have to rub it in.

alfred russel

Why not?

There is a lot of talk on what the founding principles of the US were, but I think there is little doubt they included self-determination. If the people of Afghanistan want the taliban, they should get the taliban.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

grumbler

Quote from: alfred russel on July 07, 2021, 03:05:27 PM

Why not?

There is a lot of talk on what the founding principles of the US were, but I think there is little doubt they included self-determination. If the people of Afghanistan want the taliban, they should get the taliban.

The problem with that idea is that "the people of Afghanistan" is more than one guy, and they don't all want the same thing. 

The Taliban is basically the militia of the Pashtun tribes.  They have some support among the most fanatically Islamist members of other tribes, but not much.  The Pashtun are the largest ethnic group in Afghanistan, bit not a majority, and not all Pashtuns support the Taliban.

So, deciding what "people of Afghanistan want" is not even possible, let alone a useful tool in determining international policy towards Afghanistan.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

alfred russel

Taliban was in charge, pushed out by the coalition, fought for 20 years, and if they take over after all that time it seems reasonable to conclude that is as legitimate "self determination" for Afghanistan as independence was for the USA in 1776-1783.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014