Main Menu

What does a BIDEN Presidency look like?

Started by Caliga, November 07, 2020, 12:07:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

viper37

Quote from: alfred russel on February 12, 2021, 05:50:08 AM
Quote from: viper37 on February 11, 2021, 08:42:55 PM
Quote from: alfred russel on February 11, 2021, 11:51:03 AM
I think I might be able to make money. We will see how bad the carnage is on this very bad series of bets I've made, but if it isn't too bad I'll stick with it. Only I'll be a lot more conservative and update you guys periodically if I'm winning or losing.
didn't you have an option of offsetting these potential losses by taking opposite bets, sort of like how we close a deal on futures?

Yes, you can bet on both sides to reduce risk, but why would you do that? You get 90% of gains and 100% of losses (after taking into account the vig), so that is the one guaranteed way to lose.
it's called cutting your losses.  Like selling an underporming stock.  You sure are losing money, but not all of it.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Eddie Teach

When is losing less money better than losing no money?
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

crazy canuck

Quote from: Eddie Teach on February 12, 2021, 07:29:55 PM

When trying to lose no money will end up losing you more money.

Eddie Teach

Err, to lose no money all he has to do is not make a bet.

viper37

Quote from: crazy canuck on February 12, 2021, 09:57:50 PM
Quote from: Eddie Teach on February 12, 2021, 07:29:55 PM

When trying to lose no money will end up losing you more money.
This.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: Eddie Teach on February 12, 2021, 10:18:29 PM
Err, to lose no money all he has to do is not make a bet.
But it's been made already.

alfred russel

Quote from: viper37 on February 12, 2021, 06:58:34 PM
Quote from: alfred russel on February 12, 2021, 05:50:08 AM
Quote from: viper37 on February 11, 2021, 08:42:55 PM
Quote from: alfred russel on February 11, 2021, 11:51:03 AM
I think I might be able to make money. We will see how bad the carnage is on this very bad series of bets I've made, but if it isn't too bad I'll stick with it. Only I'll be a lot more conservative and update you guys periodically if I'm winning or losing.
didn't you have an option of offsetting these potential losses by taking opposite bets, sort of like how we close a deal on futures?

Yes, you can bet on both sides to reduce risk, but why would you do that? You get 90% of gains and 100% of losses (after taking into account the vig), so that is the one guaranteed way to lose.
it's called cutting your losses.  Like selling an underporming stock.  You sure are losing money, but not all of it.

I could just sell my bet at the current value rather than by an opposite bet. Taking an opposite bet gets charged a vig--no vig involved in closing a bet in a losing position.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Syt

https://twitter.com/atrupar/status/1360963559820320773?s=20

QuoteLindsey Graham suggests Kamala Harris will be impeached if Republicans take back the House next year
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Tonitrus

He's not wrong with his underlying point though...would anybody really be surprised if the current crop of Republicans wouldn't just start throwing impeachments willy-nilly?  Even if they're spurious, and DOA in the Senate, it will always be a good way to either grab headlines, or kill off some other political embarassment.

Sheilbh

Let's bomb Russia!

Tonitrus

They could impeach Hilary Clinton for that, even as a former SoS, sure.  A good bone to throw to the base.

Eddie Teach

alfred russel

Quote from: Tonitrus on February 14, 2021, 04:34:36 PM
They could impeach Hilary Clinton for that, even as a former SoS, sure.  A good bone to throw to the base.

90% of Senate republicans have already voted that holding such a trial after the individual has left office is unconstitutional. They couldn't hold a trial because that would be transparently hypocritical.

:P
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

mongers

Quote from: Eddie Teach on February 14, 2021, 04:35:36 PM
What is he accusing Harris of?

Un-American activity, that is her parent's because they both indulge in affairs with foreigners, something no true-blue Trumpist would ever consider.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Eddie Teach on February 14, 2021, 04:35:36 PM
What is he accusing Harris of?

She sent out a tweet supporting a NGO in Minnesota that raises bail money for BLM demonstrators.  That same organization bailed out someone was than charged again for possession of a controlled substance while also in possession of a firearm.  THE HORROR

Her real crime is of course something very different.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson