And we're back!

Main Menu

What does a BIDEN Presidency look like?

Started by Caliga, November 07, 2020, 12:07:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

grumbler

Quote from: Caliga on February 11, 2021, 10:40:04 AM
Here's a bit of advice for you: gambling is for idiots. :sleep:

Or for entertainment.  Accept that you will lose money and calculate whether the entertainment is worth the cost, just like any other entertainment.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

alfred russel

I think I might be able to make money. We will see how bad the carnage is on this very bad series of bets I've made, but if it isn't too bad I'll stick with it. Only I'll be a lot more conservative and update you guys periodically if I'm winning or losing.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Valmy

Gambling is a very bad investment dude...unless you already know the results but you don't strike me as the 21st century Arnold Rothstein.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Admiral Yi

Gambling with no vig is a break even activity if the odds are fair.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Valmy on February 11, 2021, 11:53:07 AM
Gambling is a very bad investment dude...unless you already know the results but you don't strike me as the 21st century Arnold Rothstein.

Some might even say it is not an investment at all.  :D

alfred russel

Quote from: Valmy on February 11, 2021, 11:53:07 AM

We shall see--though if I get crushed here I'll probably drop out. I will post updates.  :)
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)

DGuller

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 11, 2021, 11:56:00 AM
Gambling with no vig is a break even activity if the odds are fair.
:yes:  And sometimes, very rarely, but sometimes some players know enough to make gambling an investment for them (i.e. a +EV risky activity).

Tamas

No vig, what's that? You almost always have a service provider.

Like in online poker. If you are breaking even with other players you are in negative thanks to rake.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Tamas on February 11, 2021, 01:41:45 PM

Bar bets, online forum bets, etc.

alfred russel

Quote from: Tamas on February 11, 2021, 01:41:45 PM

Like in online poker. If you are breaking even with other players you are in negative thanks to rake.

I used to make money playing online poker. Extremely extremely limited money. I wanted to see if I could make money with just the house money, so years ago when poker was the rage I signed up on a site that gave like a free $10 without deposit and went to low stakes tables. After a month I had like $40 and then gave up.

viper37

Quote from: alfred russel on February 11, 2021, 11:51:03 AM
I think I might be able to make money. We will see how bad the carnage is on this very bad series of bets I've made, but if it isn't too bad I'll stick with it. Only I'll be a lot more conservative and update you guys periodically if I'm winning or losing.
didn't you have an option of offsetting these potential losses by taking opposite bets, sort of like how we close a deal on futures?
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

alfred russel

Quote from: viper37 on February 11, 2021, 08:42:55 PM
Quote from: alfred russel on February 11, 2021, 11:51:03 AM
didn't you have an option of offsetting these potential losses by taking opposite bets, sort of like how we close a deal on futures?

Yes, you can bet on both sides to reduce risk, but why would you do that? You get 90% of gains and 100% of losses (after taking into account the vig), so that is the one guaranteed way to lose.

Admiral Yi

Tonitrus

https://edition.cnn.com/2021/02/12/media/tj-ducklo-white-house-suspended/index.html

Not a scandal insofar as any impact on Biden or his presidency, but I think it easily can be said that if this occurred with a Trump staffer, the calls for a firing would be much more publicized, and I think justified in either case.

alfred russel

Quote from: Tonitrus on February 12, 2021, 03:37:11 PM
https://edition.cnn.com/2021/02/12/media/tj-ducklo-white-house-suspended/index.html

Not a scandal insofar as any impact on Biden or his presidency, but I think it easily can be said that if this occurred with a Trump staffer, the calls for a firing would be much more publicized, and I think justified in either case.

It would also be pushed off the front page within 12 hours after Trump tweeted something much worse, and with poor spelling and grammar to boot.