News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

What does a BIDEN Presidency look like?

Started by Caliga, November 07, 2020, 12:07:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

crazy canuck

We had a funny gerrymandering case in BC years ago.  A cabinet minister's riding was redrawn so that it included a very narrow long territory which attached to the rest of her riding.  It was a corridor of very high value homes in more downscale neighborhood.    It became known as Gracie's Finger.  When that government fell BC went with a non partisan commission similar to what Malthus described.

Admiral Yi

Sen. Susan Collins of Maine
    Sen. Bill Cassidy of Louisiana
    Sen. Lisa Murkowski of Alaska
    Sen. Mitt Romney of Utah
    Sen. Ben Sasse of Nebraska
    Sen. Pat Toomey of Pennsylvania

6 who voted impeachment trial constituiional

Valmy

So the usual suspects plus Cassidy who I admit I don't know much about.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Zoupa

Out of the 6, who will vote to actually impeach though?

4, maybe? Cassidy won't and Collins is a cunt.

Syt

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 09, 2021, 06:47:01 PM
    Sen. Susan Collins of Maine
    Sen. Bill Cassidy of Louisiana
    Sen. Lisa Murkowski of Alaska
    Sen. Mitt Romney of Utah
    Sen. Ben Sasse of Nebraska
    Sen. Pat Toomey of Pennsylvania

6 who voted impeachment trial constituiional

So are the remaining GOP senators saying that if an outgoing president engages in impeachable behavior and there's not enough time to go through an impeachment trial until after that president leaves office, then that president walks away without consequences? That would seem like a blank check to do whatever for any lame duck president.

(I understand of course that Republicans would happily reconsider their position if an outgoing Democrat president gave reason to impeach in the last week or two in office.)
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Tonitrus

That is what it sounds like to me.

For myself, I think the Constitutional position to proceed is ironclad.  That those GOP are taking their stand there I think only further exposes their intellectual bankruptcy.  It is the legal foundation (incitement to insurrection) of the case, when it comes to actual conviction/acquittal phase, that is far more debatable, and thus would be a more defensible position to take one's stand.

alfred russel

Quote from: Syt on February 10, 2021, 12:43:58 AM

So are the remaining GOP senators saying that if an outgoing president engages in impeachable behavior and there's not enough time to go through an impeachment trial until after that president leaves office, then that president walks away without consequences? That would seem like a blank check to do whatever for any lame duck president.

(I understand of course that Republicans would happily reconsider their position if an outgoing Democrat president gave reason to impeach in the last week or two in office.)

It doesn't seem like a blank check unless he is also somehow absolved from criminal charges.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Tonitrus on February 10, 2021, 02:02:47 AM
For myself, I think the Constitutional position to proceed is ironclad.  That those GOP are taking their stand there I think only further exposes their intellectual bankruptcy.  It is the legal foundation (incitement to insurrection) of the case, when it comes to actual conviction/acquittal phase, that is far more debatable, and thus would be a more defensible position to take one's stand.

I agree, but which vote do you think would be easier to explain in a primary?

Syt

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 10, 2021, 06:56:21 AM

Always nice when politicians make dumb decisions and take ridiculous positions because the reasonable way to act doesn't carry the vote.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

alfred russel

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 10, 2021, 06:56:21 AM

I doubt most senators are more concerned about primary challenges.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)

alfred russel

So a sad update on my life/the Biden presidency.

As some of you may remember, I bet $20k on the presidential election, mostly in low risk bets. Ended up winning about $4.5k. Kept rolling that over into other bets on other current events, and got up to $28k total ($8k of profits).

I have now bet most of that on cabinet selections. But it looks like there is more republican opposition to the education and EPA appointments than I thought, and I thought that there would be more cabinet approvals than there have been (I have $1,700 just on Gina Raimondo getting approved by March 1, and after I made that bet Ted Cruz put a hold on her nomination). I may be fucked and losing all my post election profits. :( Even worse, since I made some of these bets when they seemed low risk, I have almost no upside.

Eddie Teach

The House always wins in the end. You should know that.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Caliga

Here's a bit of advice for you: gambling is for idiots. :sleep:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Habbaku

The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Caliga

0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points