News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

What does a BIDEN Presidency look like?

Started by Caliga, November 07, 2020, 12:07:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrister

Quote from: Tyr on February 08, 2021, 05:56:54 PM
They voted yes on a referendum last year iirc?

Boycotted by pro-independence groups.

There's 3 factions in PR: statehood, independence, status quo.  None of the three have a majority support.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Barrister

Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

The Larch

Quote from: Barrister on February 08, 2021, 06:01:01 PM
Quote from: Tyr on February 08, 2021, 05:56:54 PM
They voted yes on a referendum last year iirc?

Boycotted by pro-independence groups.

There's 3 factions in PR: statehood, independence, status quo.  None of the three have a majority support.

The boycotted one was in 2017, IIRC. The one last year was not boycotted, AFAIK.

In any case, the pro-independence camp is a very minoritary one, they only got like 5% in the last referendum in which it was an option on the ballot.

Josquius

This is the more recent one

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2020_Puerto_Rican_status_referendum

The dreaded 52-48. Clear sign that Puerto Rico overwhelmingly wants to become a state, ban Spanish, and form a NFL team.
██████
██████
██████

FunkMonk

Considering the gains Republicans made among Hispanics in the last election, it isn't unreasonable to say Puerto Rico has a decent chance of sending a Republican to the Senate. PR probably has a better chance at statehood than DC.

I can't imagine DC ever achieving statehood, absent an agreement that, say, Texas splits into 2 states so they can send an additional 2 Republicans to the Senate.
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: FunkMonk on February 08, 2021, 06:17:48 PM
I can't imagine DC ever achieving statehood, absent an agreement that, say, Texas splits into 2 states so they can send an additional 2 Republicans to the Senate.

Most reasonable solution is folding DC outside a "federal enclave" back into Maryland.

Tonitrus

I tend to agree.  I don't think DC should be a state...either back to Maryland as Yi said, or maybe throw them a huge boon for lacking federal representation, such as making DC residents (and they'd have to very strict on verification of this to avoid exploitation) exempt from federal taxes.

Valmy

Quote from: Barrister on February 08, 2021, 04:53:05 PM
Quote from: Tyr on February 08, 2021, 04:43:41 PM
Thought to post in the Texas thread but didn't want to hijack....
There going to be any movement on Puerto Rico statehood with Biden?

DC is more likely.

It's not entirely clear whether PR wants statehood or not.  It would mean many profound changes to life on the island (They'd have to pay income tax, but would also qualify for other benefits).

Well they have voted for it multiple times now. But beyond that ut isn't clear at all.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Jacob

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 08, 2021, 05:59:34 PM
Shoot, my bad.  I thought the most recent was the three way split.

Just went to look it up. They voted 97% in favour of statehood, but with a 23% turnout. The pro-status-quo party encouraged a boycott, so read that as you will.

celedhring

Yeah, there has never been a strong and clear mandate either way. So for now everything defaults to status quo. I'm not cognizant enougn on PR politics to know if the issue truly important there, or they are just happy to chug along.

grumbler

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 08, 2021, 06:21:17 PM
Quote from: FunkMonk on February 08, 2021, 06:17:48 PM

Most reasonable solution is folding DC outside a "federal enclave" back into Maryland.

Yep.  Solves all the problems and has a precedent.  Maryland would need some compensation for all the tax-exempt properties, but that's just negotiating the details.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

grumbler

Quote from: The Brain on February 09, 2021, 07:47:04 AM
Can it be renamed Marylamb?

No, but you can find a woman there named Mary Lamb.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

The Brain

Quote from: grumbler on February 09, 2021, 07:48:55 AM

Is she into... kind of nerdy baby-faced Scandinavians?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

grumbler

Quote from: The Brain on February 09, 2021, 07:58:45 AM
Quote from: grumbler on February 09, 2021, 07:48:55 AM

Is she into... kind of nerdy baby-faced Scandinavians?

Add "who like to be spanked" and you're on to something.

Bayraktar!