And we're back!

Main Menu

What does a BIDEN Presidency look like?

Started by Caliga, November 07, 2020, 12:07:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrister

Quote from: Valmy on February 05, 2021, 01:42:05 PM
Quote from: Barrister on February 05, 2021, 01:40:02 PM
I can't believe that so many of your schools remained closed to be honest.  Having our schools open is one of the better things Alberta has done in fighting Covid.  There's been very, very little spread within the schools themselves.

Yeah our schools are open. I can see why we closed them at first, before we had more information, but now we have data that suggests that they can be opened safely. The high cost of closing those schools does not seem worth the price at all based on what we know now.

But in other jurisdictions (I keep hearing about NYC for example) they're closed.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Valmy

Quote from: Barrister on February 05, 2021, 02:06:14 PM
Quote from: Valmy on February 05, 2021, 01:42:05 PM
Quote from: Barrister on February 05, 2021, 01:40:02 PM
I can't believe that so many of your schools remained closed to be honest.  Having our schools open is one of the better things Alberta has done in fighting Covid.  There's been very, very little spread within the schools themselves.

Yeah our schools are open. I can see why we closed them at first, before we had more information, but now we have data that suggests that they can be opened safely. The high cost of closing those schools does not seem worth the price at all based on what we know now.

But in other jurisdictions (I keep hearing about NYC for example) they're closed.

I know. But NYC might be a bad example since they have been such a hot spot. It might make sense there where it might not in Alberta or Texas I don't know.

But generally we need to get schools open. Education, and all activities for kids, are really suffering during this thing.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

grumbler

The POTUS doesn't decide when schools open.

My school has been open since the beginning of October, with a two-week break after an outbreak of Covid that was not really related to school (a parent of the baseball team decided to have a team cookout). 

But this is in a small rural county with much less student interaction with crowds.  I think that things have to be decided on a case-by-case basis, which precludes a presidential order.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

HisMajestyBOB

Yeah. Schools in Fairfax county (densely populated DC suburbs) have been closed, reopened with restrictions, and are now closed again, but recently announced a reopening plan targeting mid-March. All of the (private) preschools we're looking at, however, have been open with reduced class sizes, social distancing, and other precautions.
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

saskganesh

Quote from: alfred russel on February 03, 2021, 03:55:48 PM

I realize I'm in the minority on this, but I think holding the trial now is a massive mistake.

I believe you are somewhat right, and there will be political loss over the short term, but they really have to. No other President has started an insurrection, went home to watch the spectacle on TV, and refuse to take phone calls while he was enjoying his show.

There just has to be a trial.
humans were created in their own image

Malthus

Quote from: saskganesh on February 05, 2021, 09:47:26 PM

I realize I'm in the minority on this, but I think holding the trial now is a massive mistake.

I believe you are somewhat right, and there will be political loss over the short term, but they really have to. No other President has started an insurrection, went home to watch the spectacle on TV, and refuse to take phone calls while he was enjoying his show.

I agree with this - not doing the trial would be a mistake.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Jacob

Quote from: Malthus on February 05, 2021, 09:59:38 PM
I agree with this - not doing the trial would be a mistake.

Yeah, if for no other reason than to bring more evidence of the organization into public view.

Admiral Yi

The trial has value in setting an historical record of the vote and compelling Republican senators to vote on something they would rather duck.

saskganesh

I'm reading Grant lost Reconstruction, because he did mass arrests but there was not enough legal followup, legal capacity and too many sympathizers in the judiciary.

Good luck, honestly.
humans were created in their own image

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

crazy canuck

Quote from: saskganesh on February 05, 2021, 09:47:26 PM

Imagine the political price of condoning the actions of the past president by taking the unprecedented step of not holding the trial in the Senate and the vote to impeach has already occurred in the House.

alfred russel

Quote from: crazy canuck on February 06, 2021, 01:44:56 PM

Imagine the political price of condoning the actions of the past president by taking the unprecedented step of not holding the trial in the Senate and the vote to impeach has already occurred in the House.

I was just curious so I checked wikipedia--if it is accurate it looks like it would have precedent for the senate to not proceed to a trial for an impeached official who left office.

That said: I want to be clear that I was in no way saying there shouldn't be a senate trial. I was saying that there shouldn't be a senate trial right now. The senate has only approved 6 Biden senior posts, and if they aren't approving more while the trial proceeds, we will likely be at 7 at the one month mark of Biden's presidency. The optics will be that litigating the past is more important to senate democrats than putting in place the administration, and I think the optics will have truth to them.

A couple months from now, that won't be the case.

The real trial for Trump shouldn't be in the Senate anyway. There should be a criminal trial--or more likely multiple criminal trials.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Valmy

Quote from: crazy canuck on February 06, 2021, 01:44:56 PM

Nobody is suggesting that though. Only that we get the important legislative agenda done first, and that is often done in the first few months of a Presidential term, and then we can have the trial. It sounds good to me if the trial will slow the vital legislation we need, especially with the crisis our nation is facing and the politically precarious position the Democrats currently are in. They need to have a big string of successes to take to the voters in 2022.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: alfred russel on February 06, 2021, 07:59:12 PM
I was just curious so I checked wikipedia--if it is accurate it looks like it would have precedent for the senate to not proceed to a trial for an impeached official who left office.

What precedent is that?
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

grumbler

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on February 07, 2021, 12:50:32 AM
Quote from: alfred russel on February 06, 2021, 07:59:12 PM

What precedent is that?

I think a couple of judges resigned rather than facing impeachment trials.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!