News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

What does a BIDEN Presidency look like?

Started by Caliga, November 07, 2020, 12:07:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Berkut

Why does anyone care what Republicans think?
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

alfred russel

Quote from: Berkut on February 03, 2021, 02:46:46 PM

Because there are filibuster rules and cloture rules that can grind everything to a halt so long as Democrats leave the rules in place, as they seem inclined to do.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

grumbler

Quote from: alfred russel on February 03, 2021, 02:51:33 PM

Because there are filibuster rules and cloture rules that can grind everything to a halt so long as Democrats leave the rules in place, as they seem inclined to do.

The Republicans already eliminated the filibuster for nominations, I believe. 
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Tonitrus

I though there were some issues with it being split 50-50 (despite the VP tie-breaker) and not a "real" majority, but I will admit to not being clued in on the details of any consequences from that.

alfred russel

Quote from: grumbler on February 03, 2021, 02:57:28 PM
Quote from: alfred russel on February 03, 2021, 02:51:33 PM

The Republicans already eliminated the filibuster for nominations, I believe.

I think they did, though you can still hold things up for 3 days or something.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)

Valmy

The Republicans are intentionally trying to fuck everything up to score big wins in 2022. You are about as able to get help from an arsonist in fire-proofing your house as to get reasonable cooperation from them. We have seen this game for a decade now and how they play it.

Maybe there is one or two who might be willing to cooperate in some circumstances but otherwise the Democrats need to get their own house in order and do everything they can with what they have. Expecting anything out of the Republicans is a fools errand.

Sure there might be one of two Republican Senators who might work with you on this issue or that issue but they are pretty disciplined under McConnell's leadership generally. Splitting them in a significant way on anything the Democrats might want to do is almost impossible.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

alfred russel

Quote from: Valmy on February 03, 2021, 03:12:52 PM
The Republicans are intentionally trying to fuck everything up to score big wins in 2022. You are about as able to get help from an arsonist in fire-proofing your house as to get reasonable cooperation from them. We have seen this game for a decade now and how they play it.

Maybe there is one or two who might be willing to cooperate in some circumstances but otherwise the Democrats need to get their own house in order and do everything they can with what they have. Expecting anything out of the Republicans is a fools errand.

Sure there might be one of two Republican Senators who might work with you on this issue or that issue but they are pretty disciplined under McConnell's leadership generally. Splitting them in a significant way on anything the Democrats might want to do is almost impossible.

I realize I'm in the minority on this, but I think holding the trial now is a massive mistake. The outcome is preordained--there won't be a conviction. The priorities right now need to be covid relief and getting a team in place. They are trying to rush covid relief in before the trial, but republicans are going to drag both out which is going to result in delays.

What is supposed to be a presidential honeymoon period is going to sidetracked with this trial and cause a rapid descent into the standard partisan nonsense, when the trial could have been in April or May when we naturally would be there anyway.

crazy canuck

In what fantasy world were any Republican supporters going to have a honeymoon phase with Biden

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: alfred russel on February 03, 2021, 03:55:48 PM
I realize I'm in the minority on this, but I think holding the trial now is a massive mistake.

when should it be held?
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

alfred russel

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on February 03, 2021, 05:06:11 PM
Quote from: alfred russel on February 03, 2021, 03:55:48 PM
I realize I'm in the minority on this, but I think holding the trial now is a massive mistake.

when should it be held?

A couple months from now.

Syt

Well, I guess we can lock the thread, it's decided:

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Valmy

Is that accurate though? I thought he was trying to get schools open ASAP.

Ah well. Hard to get good accurate information these days.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Barrister

I can't believe that so many of your schools remained closed to be honest.  Having our schools open is one of the better things Alberta has done in fighting Covid.  There's been very, very little spread within the schools themselves.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Valmy

Quote from: Barrister on February 05, 2021, 01:40:02 PM
I can't believe that so many of your schools remained closed to be honest.  Having our schools open is one of the better things Alberta has done in fighting Covid.  There's been very, very little spread within the schools themselves.

Yeah our schools are open. I can see why we closed them at first, before we had more information, but now we have data that suggests that they can be opened safely. The high cost of closing those schools does not seem worth the price at all based on what we know now.