And we're back!

Main Menu

What does a BIDEN Presidency look like?

Started by Caliga, November 07, 2020, 12:07:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

celedhring

Quote from: Malthus on January 27, 2021, 12:31:11 PM
Quote from: DGuller on January 27, 2021, 11:56:52 AM
I recall once listening to a report on some criminal justice reform in New York State.  It was casually mentioned that the reform was opposed by some because their districts have prisons.  I was beyond disgusted, it's like funeral industry lobbying against the Covid vaccine.

That is quite horrific.

The whole private prisons thing reminds me of the movie the Shawshank Redemption. It's line the evil warden's scheme to profit personally off of prisoner labour, but on a huge scale.

Heh, I'd have thought having a prison in your district would elicit a NIMBY response, not the opposite.

Tonitrus

In the US, those districts are typically very rural, and the prison is, or has the potential to be, the #1 source of employment/tax revenue.

In an urban/metro area, the normal NIMBY rules could easily apply.

Malthus

Quote from: celedhring on January 27, 2021, 12:36:25 PM
Quote from: Malthus on January 27, 2021, 12:31:11 PM
Quote from: DGuller on January 27, 2021, 11:56:52 AM
I recall once listening to a report on some criminal justice reform in New York State.  It was casually mentioned that the reform was opposed by some because their districts have prisons.  I was beyond disgusted, it's like funeral industry lobbying against the Covid vaccine.

That is quite horrific.

The whole private prisons thing reminds me of the movie the Shawshank Redemption. It's line the evil warden's scheme to profit personally off of prisoner labour, but on a huge scale.

Heh, I'd have thought having a prison in your district would elicit a NIMBY response, not the opposite.

The way some look at it, the prison is generating large sums of cash paid for by other areas in the form of tax money used to finance the prison - and that cash then benefits the lucky area the prison is in, in the form of jobs and other economic activities.

Thus, if the state passes laws that effectively imprison a large percentage of that state's lower class inhabitants, paid for by the dutiful taxes of the tax payers who are not imprisoned - and the prisoners are put to productive work, generating yet more local economic activity, which local politicians find beneficial (also with the possible benefit of undercutting the labour of those lower class inhabitants not yet imprisoned, thus increasing the prison population yet further! It's a virtuous cycle ...)
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

grumbler

Quote from: The Brain on January 27, 2021, 10:45:47 AM
Quote from: Berkut on January 27, 2021, 10:17:02 AM
I would get behind federal legislation making private prisons simply illegal, whether state run or otherwise.

Would this be constitutional? Non-rhetorical.

You could probably make the argument that it was a civil rights issue.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

The Minsky Moment

The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Oexmelin

Biden's Presidency will still have to contend with the Republican moral and political bankruptcy:

Proposed bill in Missouri: immunity to those who run over protesters with their cars; authorize the private use of deadly force against protesters.

https://www.stltoday.com/news/local/govt-and-politics/missouri-bill-would-allow-deadly-force-against-demonstrators/article_3ad28172-efb2-5b65-aa63-56f54d9a7585.html#utm_campaign=blox&utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social

Que le grand cric me croque !

PDH

Why not just arm the the cars with machine guns to cover all our bases?
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

The Brain

Does it have money for the perverted arts?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

grumbler

Quote from: Oexmelin on January 28, 2021, 05:55:59 PM
Biden's Presidency will still have to contend with the Republican moral and political bankruptcy:

Proposed bill in Missouri: immunity to those who run over protesters with their cars; authorize the private use of deadly force against protesters.

https://www.stltoday.com/news/local/govt-and-politics/missouri-bill-would-allow-deadly-force-against-demonstrators/article_3ad28172-efb2-5b65-aa63-56f54d9a7585.html#utm_campaign=blox&utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social

If that law passed, there would be so many antiabortion protestors gunned down on abortion clinic property that Jesus himself would cry for joy.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Syt

Quote from: grumbler on January 28, 2021, 09:59:33 PM
Quote from: Oexmelin on January 28, 2021, 05:55:59 PM

If that law passed, there would be so many antiabortion protestors gunned down on abortion clinic property that Jesus himself would cry for joy.

Silly, that law will only be applied to left-ish protests, of course.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Admiral Yi

Does this thread really need to be stickied?

DGuller

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 31, 2021, 08:48:29 PM
Does this thread really need to be stickied?
It does, if we want to keep it on first page.

katmai

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

alfred russel

Interesting scenario...only 6 cabinet picks have been confirmed so far, in large part due to a late start with the election nonsense.

Apparently the priority is now to focus on the budget/relief bill. Next week the impeachment trial starts. For some reason the senate is taking a week off at the end of the month.

Republicans are signaling that the budget/relief bill "requires" their undivided attention, as does the impeachment trial.

The takeaway is that unless something changes, cabinet appointments are going to be getting into place extremely late.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014