News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

What does a BIDEN Presidency look like?

Started by Caliga, November 07, 2020, 12:07:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

celedhring

Cruz always seems completely phony to me when he tries to play the Trump card. I assume republican voters will think the same.

The Larch

Syt

I read some posts that Biden gets instructions via ear piece because he apparently said "salute the marines" when passing marines without saluting them. Supposedly he was confused and repeated the instruction instead of following it. :tinfoil:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

The Brain

Write something inane and push the post button.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Tonitrus

Quote from: Syt on January 22, 2021, 07:55:28 AM
I read some posts that Biden gets instructions via ear piece because he apparently said "salute the marines" when passing marines without saluting them. Supposedly he was confused and repeated the instruction instead of following it. :tinfoil:

Saw the video, and on the face of it, comes across as depicted.  Could the audio have been spliced in?  Sure.  Is the President supposed to salute the Marines in that instance?  Not sure.

All the video sources I've found, as expected, come from right-wing sources.  So, who knows.

Tonitrus

If anyone cares (or if you think this is even some kind of importance), and wants to dodge the biased sources...here is a link to the original video, so the audio itself, at least, is genuine.

https://youtu.be/ZwvbQR887W0?t=12567

I also cannot be sure if the first word he says is "salute", though "marines" is pretty clear.  He could have been saying something else in reference to them.

If one were to want to nitpick...it was from the inauguration ceremony, and before Biden was sworn in, so technically not POTUS yet.  I don't know if that matters from a protocol perspective in this case...but what I do know is that typically the lesser rank should salute first, and the higher up returns the salute (in previous POTUS saluting gaffes, you will always see the Marine presenting, or already holding, a salute). These Marines don't salute at all, but they're also holding the door, and may be excused from that in this instance.  The USMC may also have their own protocol, I am not qualified to speak for them.

Sheilbh

Is it possible he's just saying "look at the marines" to his wife?

In the way that my dad (and I assume most older men) just sort of say what they see on holiday :lol:
Let's bomb Russia!

Razgovory

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on January 21, 2021, 08:55:19 PM
Quote from: grumbler on January 21, 2021, 07:21:13 PM
Quote from: The Larch on January 21, 2021, 07:00:46 PM
Quote from: garbon on January 21, 2021, 06:58:50 PM
I think it's probably best not to report on Greene at all. Will never be anything of value.

The competition for being the most terrible person in the House must be hard, but she's really working for it.

No one will out-stupid her, that's for sure.

When it comes to stupid, never count out Gohmert.

I still believe that sending Gohmert to Washington is a Texan plot to destroy the city by placing a man in the capital of such immense density that he can pull satellites out of orbit.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Tonitrus

Quote from: Sheilbh on January 22, 2021, 10:19:13 AM
Is it possible he's just saying "look at the marines" to his wife?

In the way that my dad (and I assume most older men) just sort of say what they see on holiday :lol:

Hard to say.  In my professional experience, when there is a word or two that you cannot fully make out, oftentimes you will fill it in either with what you want to hear, or more often, the first "worm" (this "worm" often comes in the form of someone else telling you in advance what is said, as in this case) that gets in your brain, and then you will always hear, and be convinced you hear, that "worm" until there is absolute proof otherwise.

Solmyr

If that's going to be the level of Biden's scandals, you should be pretty safe. :lol:

Tonitrus

Oh I agree.  Better than the issue of "ZOMG BIDEN DIDNT SALUT OUR HEROS!!!111", is the issue of; even if Biden does have aids giving him prompts via earpiece...is that really a big deal?

Tonitrus

Only because it amuses me...I took one of the shorter clips (I used this one: https://youtu.be/ZwvbQR887W0?t=12567) , and ran it a couple lower speeds (which Youtube lets you do)...and I am almost convinced that the person who tells him to "salute the Marines" is his wife, walking next to him.  You can see her tilt her head just slightly, and just barely hear something from her (she is further from the mic) say what is likely the same phrase.  She cannot confirm if he did or not, of course, because she is slightly ahead of him.

Otherwise we have to presume there is a "watcher" somewhere who gives him prompts at just the right times/locations. Which is:  :tinfoil:

crazy canuck

Quote from: grumbler on January 21, 2021, 06:48:02 PM
There are more "Generation x" six years after the first entered the Senate than there were "Baby Boomers" six years after the first entered the Senate.

I'll just note once again that this whole "generations" thing is moronic and those who think it meaningful are mistaken.  "Generation" does not mean random grouping of people and 20 years hasn't ben a generation length since the mid-20th Century, if even that late.  The current generational length (average age of a woman giving birth) in the US is 27 years.

While I agree that arbitrary assignment of generation identities is moronic, there has been a shift to people working much longer and as a result the positions they hold not becoming vacant for others to progress into.  The Senate is a bad example because it has been the place where the olds historically hang on.

grumbler

Quote from: crazy canuck on January 22, 2021, 12:49:36 PM
While I agree that arbitrary assignment of generation identities is moronic, there has been a shift to people working much longer and as a result the positions they hold not becoming vacant for others to progress into.  The Senate is a bad example because it has been the place where the olds historically hang on.

The "hanging on" bit is, indeed, a problem, but it isn't a new one.  Healthy life expectancies have gone up for a long time.

In Roman times, a man on the Cursus Honorum would enter the Senate at age 30 and reach the peak of his career at age 42, when he would stand for Consul.  Plenty of complaints in the late republic that older men were standing for consul and preventing the younger men from achieving the office in their year.

I'm not sure that there is a good way out of the problem of the ever-escalating "blocking the path" problem.  It's human nature to want to hang on to power, whether in business, politics, or family life.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

crazy canuck

Quote from: grumbler on January 22, 2021, 01:22:50 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on January 22, 2021, 12:49:36 PM

The "hanging on" bit is, indeed, a problem, but it isn't a new one.  Healthy life expectancies have gone up for a long time.

In Roman times, a man on the Cursus Honorum would enter the Senate at age 30 and reach the peak of his career at age 42, when he would stand for Consul.  Plenty of complaints in the late republic that older men were standing for consul and preventing the younger men from achieving the office in their year.

I'm not sure that there is a good way out of the problem of the ever-escalating "blocking the path" problem.  It's human nature to want to hang on to power, whether in business, politics, or family life.

I am fortunate that the folks 10-20 years older than me in the firm voluntarily and affirmatively gave over control.  Very different in other places where mandatory retirement policies needed to be put into place to remove overholding partners.  It worked out very well for our firm because it has become known as a place where an older lawyer (kicked out of their firm) can hang a shingle.  We have picked up some amazing talent that way and they play an active role mentoring our junior ranks.