News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

What does a BIDEN Presidency look like?

Started by Caliga, November 07, 2020, 12:07:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

It was a pretty shitty episode as well.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Solmyr

DGuller

Why would someone put on their mask so crooked? :bleeding: He can always use a mirror if he has such a hard time feeling out the center by feel.

Habbaku

The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Syt

So, Biden is starting to reverse the Trump legacy, just as Trump was trying to reverse the Obama legacy. Which Republican will try to reverse the Biden legacy?
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Tamas

Quote from: Syt on January 21, 2021, 12:05:19 PM
So, Biden is starting to reverse the Trump legacy, just as Trump was trying to reverse the Obama legacy. Which Republican will try to reverse the Biden legacy?

Ivanka.

Barrister

Quote from: Tamas on January 21, 2021, 12:09:40 PM
Quote from: Syt on January 21, 2021, 12:05:19 PM

Ivanka.

There is no chance in hell Ivanka is ever President.

Don Jr, on the other hand...
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Syt

I do find it problematic, though, when successive governments of opposing parties primarily try to revert what their predecessors did. Some of it is natural, due to opposing policies, but for Trump it seemed to be a staple, and obviously the Democrats want to undo his damage. I expect, though, that the next time the Rs have the power again, they will try to re-undo things.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Sheilbh

Quote from: Syt on January 21, 2021, 12:12:43 PM
I do find it problematic, though, when successive governments of opposing parties primarily try to revert what their predecessors did. Some of it is natural, due to opposing policies, but for Trump it seemed to be a staple, and obviously the Democrats want to undo his damage. I expect, though, that the next time the Rs have the power again, they will try to re-undo things.
So I don't mind it in theory because as you say it's partly in the nature of elections in a two party system. I think the bigger issue is that because Congress hasn't worked for some time a lot of the agenda of both parties is being implemented as far as possible by the executive. Whether that's lots of executive orders or the Paris Agreement being deliberately drafted in a way to avoid the Senate ratification requirements.

For some reason it feels okay for me to try and overturn, say, Obamacare. But it's more problematic that the lives of so many people because of their immigration status can be based on executive orders and that they'll just ping-pong on this - same for climate.
Let's bomb Russia!

mongers

I think there isn't an equivalence between Trump's trashing of US institutions or international involvements and most of Biden's new executive orders, it's not a ping-pong situation where those are two opposing sides either side of a balanced middle.

Trump was an extremist, exiting WHO, something the US had a major hand in setting up and funding was a hollow domestic political act, no other US administration had ever planned on leaving it.

Similarly leaving the open skies treaty was just wanton vandalism, damaging US national security by losing access to a useful set of international protocols.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

The Brain

Relax. A generation from now the US may have built a reputation for stability again.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

The Larch

Grey Fox

Quote from: Sheilbh on January 21, 2021, 12:32:34 PM
Quote from: Syt on January 21, 2021, 12:12:43 PM
So I don't mind it in theory because as you say it's partly in the nature of elections in a two party system. I think the bigger issue is that because Congress hasn't worked for some time a lot of the agenda of both parties is being implemented as far as possible by the executive. Whether that's lots of executive orders or the Paris Agreement being deliberately drafted in a way to avoid the Senate ratification requirements.

For some reason it feels okay for me to try and overturn, say, Obamacare. But it's more problematic that the lives of so many people because of their immigration status can be based on executive orders and that they'll just ping-pong on this - same for climate.

It all revolves again back to Moscow Mitch & the abortion issue.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Syt

—Stephen Jay Gould

Josquius

Wow. That is pretty close.
Wonder if she did it on purpose?
██████
██████
██████