News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

What does a BIDEN Presidency look like?

Started by Caliga, November 07, 2020, 12:07:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Malthus

Please let this thread remain boring as hell for the next four years ...
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Sheilbh

Quote from: Malthus on January 20, 2021, 04:10:18 PM
Early indications are good:
Let's bomb Russia!

crazy canuck

Quote from: Valmy on January 20, 2021, 03:53:25 PM
The military is popular. NASCAR and the NFL pay them to show up and perform at their events. Does the RAF not fly over and parachute into Everton-Liverpool matches?

Actually it is the military that paid the NFL.  And when that came to light, the NFL repaid the money.  It seems the practice has now stopped.

Don't know about NASCAR

Sheilbh

The military is popular. NASCAR and the NFL pay them to show up and perform at their events. Does the RAF not fly over and parachute into Everton-Liverpool matches?
:lol: Probably not the best game for that sort of thing. But no. You might get a military marching band at like FA Cup final or national team games and a few soldiers when its remembrance day but I feel like that's about it?
Let's bomb Russia!

DGuller

Sorry we couldn't keep you entertained, sir.  :(

Valmy

Quote from: crazy canuck on January 20, 2021, 04:27:28 PM

Actually it is the military that paid the NFL.  And when that came to light, the NFL repaid the money.  It seems the practice has now stopped.

Don't know about NASCAR

Ah. Wow I clearly got that backwards.

But the NFL, at least before all the knee-taking started, was huge in playing the patriotic "we love the military" card as much as possible. Things might be different now.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

crazy canuck

Quote from: Valmy on January 20, 2021, 04:35:15 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on January 20, 2021, 04:27:28 PM

Don't know about NASCAR

Ah. Wow I clearly got that backwards.

But the NFL, at least before all the knee-taking started, was huge in playing the patriotic "we love the military" card as much as possible. Things might be different now.

Yes, but it was paid patriotism - ie the NFL was getting paid to showcase the military they way they did. 

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Tamas on January 20, 2021, 03:53:51 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on January 20, 2021, 02:46:34 PM
Never paid attention to the pageantry of US inaugurations before.  A lot of militarism involved.

You can really tell that the US has not been thoroughly whipped and near-destroyed in a war like the Europeans. We have beaten this jingoist nonsense out of each other during the 20th century.

Hmm that's not exactly the vibe I get from the Hungarian politics thread.  Seems like Trianon revisionism is more in vogue these days than light balling.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Jacob

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on January 20, 2021, 04:56:10 PM
Hmm that's not exactly the vibe I get from the Hungarian politics thread.  Seems like Trianon revisionism is more in vogue these days than light balling.

They're trying to be heavy ballers?

HVC

Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Sheilbh on January 20, 2021, 04:13:05 PM
Early indications are good:

He has the Amtrak branded Peloton.
You can take rides through Youngstown and downtown Sheboygan.   The trainer is Jack LaLanne and the music is all from the Lawrence Welk band.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Malthus

Quote from: DGuller on January 20, 2021, 04:32:50 PM
Sorry we couldn't keep you entertained, sir.  :(

I want to be bored! 😄
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

mongers

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"