Main Menu

What does a BIDEN Presidency look like?

Started by Caliga, November 07, 2020, 12:07:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

viper37

Quote from: Barrister on January 19, 2021, 05:54:30 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on January 19, 2021, 05:38:44 PM
Quote from: Caliga on January 19, 2021, 04:24:43 PM
Also, Pence is trying to rehabilitate his reputation now, so going to Trump's bullshit thing isn't the smartest way to go about doing that.

I think there might be genuine disgust on Pence's part.  He's been the loyal lackey this whole time and all it got him was a band of crazy people who tried to lynch him.

He is now the best example of a politician who gave himself entirely over to Trump and got nothing in return.

He rode that Trump train almost all the way to the end, suffering any end of indignities in order to assure there was no daylight between him and Trump, but at the last hour found something that even he couldn't do - a blatantly unconstitutional move to refuse to count electoral votes awarded to Biden.

And in exchange he gets death threats and is excommunicated from Trumpworld.

We should of course be grateful that he did so and make some level of "room" for ex-Trump officials who did break from Trump, no matter how late.  But we should never forget the preceeding 5 years either.
he did ask for different legal advices first.  At least two.  It's not like he didn't entertain the thought.  I wouldn't sing his praise just because he's been backstabed by Trump
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

The Larch

It has been reported that Biden will sign 17 executive orders as soon as he's sworn in. Amongst those orders there'll be the following:

- Rejoining the WHO.
- Rejoining the Paris Climate Agreement.
- Blocking the funding for the construction of the border wall.
- Repealing the travel ban from a number of majority muslim countries.
- Allowing "Dreamers" to stay in the US.

A new Covid taskforce will probably be announced early next week.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Sheilbh

Also that he's going to sign up to Covax which will be huge news in distributing to many developing countries (and I really think it's morally wrong but also practically stupid to have very slow roll-out of the vaccine in the developing world).
Let's bomb Russia!

The Larch

Other measures that will be passed in the early days of the Biden presidency (no idea if as part of the 17 exec. orders or otherwise):

- Eviction moratorium until the end of March.
- Moratorium on the payment of school loans until the end of September
- Mandatory use of face masks and social distancing in federal buildings for 100 days.

The Brain

Quote from: The Larch on January 20, 2021, 07:55:14 AM
- Mandatory use of face masks and social distancing in federal buildings for 100 days.

Even for intruders?

The Larch

A more comprehensive list:

QuotePresident-elect Joe Biden plans  to sign 17 executive actions today in the Oval Office including:

-National mask mandate
-Establish a WH COVID-19 team
-Cease withdrawal from WHO
-Restore national security pandemics office
-Extend pause on student loan payments and interest
-Rejoin Paris Climate Agreement
-Government agency review focused on equity
-Extend federal eviction moratorium
-Rescind Census orders to exclude non-citizens
-Preserve and fortify DACA
-Revoke Muslim ban
-Rescind 1776 commission

Maladict

Sheilbh

America really is the world leader in marching band songs.
Let's bomb Russia!

The Brain

Dick Turpin is at the ceremony? Or did I mishear?

Tonitrus

Quote from: Sheilbh on January 20, 2021, 10:35:34 AM

Gotta keep the Nazis a distant second.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Tonitrus on January 20, 2021, 10:42:05 AM

American marching band songs are notably more jaunty :lol:

It's a really uniquely American/turn of the century sound. You even get it on things like the West Wing - I don't know what the equivalent musical cue would be in the UK.

Edit: It must be kind of crap being Dan Quayle and 30 years later still just survive as a punchline. Wonder why Al Gore isn't attending? :hmm:
Let's bomb Russia!

The Brain

Tonitrus

Quote from: Sheilbh on January 20, 2021, 10:44:19 AM
Quote from: Tonitrus on January 20, 2021, 10:42:05 AM

American marching band songs are notably more jaunty :lol:

It's a really uniquely American/turn of the century sound. You even get it on things like the West Wing - I don't know what the equivalent musical cue would be in the UK.

I was looking at Sousa's wiki page as an aside reading for this post, and it compares him to a Kenneth J. Alford, the "British March King'.  Though I think Sousa probably eclipsed him in overall fame/notoriety.

Habbaku

Dan Quayle, VP from over 30 years ago, is younger than both Trump and Biden.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien