News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

What does a BIDEN Presidency look like?

Started by Caliga, November 07, 2020, 12:07:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/01/14/biden-stimulus-package-details-checks-unemployment-minimum-wage.html

Uncle Joe's relief bill proposal.

Direct payments of $1,400 to most Americans, bringing the total relief to $2,000, including December's $600 payments
    Increasing the federal, per-week unemployment benefit to $400 and extending it through the end of September
    Increasing the federal minimum wage to $15 per hour
    Extending the eviction and foreclosure moratoriums until the end of September
    $350 billion in state and local government aid
    $170 billion for K-12 schools and institutions of higher education
    $50 billion toward Covid-19 testing
    $20 billion toward a national vaccine program in partnership with states, localities and tribes
    Making the Child Tax Credit fully refundable for the year and increasing the credit to $3,000 per child ($3,600 for a child under age 6)

Valmy

Oh look that local government aid Pelosi promised. And just throwing in $15.00 minimum wage...

Well good luck getting Manchin on board Joe.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

viper37

Quote from: jimmy olsen on January 14, 2021, 12:19:34 AM
Quote from: alfred russel on January 13, 2021, 06:00:17 PM
Quote from: Barrister on January 13, 2021, 05:08:05 PM
So McConnell has said there will be no rush to deal with the Trump impeachment - it can wait until after Biden is sworn in.

This has the effect of turning the whole problem over to the Dems and gets Trump, even after he leaves office, to still dominate the agenda even during Biden's first 100 days.

It isn't a nefarious plot--he really didn't have a choice. Biden takes office in 7 days. Aside from the reality that the Senate is in recess until then, how are you going to hold a trial in 7 days, presided over by the Chief Justice?

There's an emergency Senate rule that allows the Senate to be immediately called into session if the Majority and Minority leader agree. This is just Mitch pushing things down the line so he can take up some of Biden's time and see what other information comes out on this attack.
That rule requires unanimity of the Senators, IIRC.  Otherwise, they can not rule on anything.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

grumbler

Quote from: viper37 on January 15, 2021, 04:54:56 PM
There's an emergency Senate rule that allows the Senate to be immediately called into session if the Majority and Minority leader agree. This is just Mitch pushing things down the line so he can take up some of Biden's time and see what other information comes out on this attack.
That rule requires unanimity of the Senators, IIRC.  Otherwise, they can not rule on anything.

I don't believe that this is true - the Senate is in recess, not between sessions.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

grumbler

The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

viper37

Quote from: grumbler on January 15, 2021, 07:33:05 PM

I don't believe that this is true - the Senate is in recess, not between sessions.
In a memo a few days ago to Republican senators, McConnell had suggested the trial wouldn't start until Biden becomes president, saying all 100 senators would need to consent to change the Senate's schedule. He indicated that the earliest the Senate could take up any House-passed articles of impeachment against Trump would most likely be right after his term ends

I have no idea if it is true or not, but that's what he said.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

grumbler

Quote from: viper37 on January 15, 2021, 08:06:56 PM
Quote from: grumbler on January 15, 2021, 07:33:05 PM

In a memo a few days ago to Republican senators, McConnell had suggested the trial wouldn't start until Biden becomes president, saying all 100 senators would need to consent to change the Senate's schedule. He indicated that the earliest the Senate could take up any House-passed articles of impeachment against Trump would most likely be right after his term ends

I have no idea if it is true or not, but that's what he said.

I think that what he is saying is that the Senators who don't want to come back will deny the Senate a quorum.  It would be almost impossible to enforce a quorum in the few days allowed, and Senators wouldn't want a quorum to be established in the absence of a large portion of their own caucus, so they'd not show up for a special session unless they knew everyone in their caucus was going to.

The emergency action provision mentioned by Schumer would bypass this by requiring Senators to return to the chamber.

Bayraktar!

viper37

Ah.  Not what I thought it was.  Thanks for the clarification.

Barrister

Apparently tomorrow Mike Pence will attend Biden's inauguration, but will skip Trump's send-off, saying attending both would be "logistically challenging".

https://twitter.com/jdawsey1/status/1351584529652322310
(WaPo's White House reporter)
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: Barrister on January 19, 2021, 03:40:27 PM
Apparently tomorrow Mike Pence will attend Biden's inauguration, but will skip Trump's send-off, saying attending both would be "logistically challenging".

https://twitter.com/jdawsey1/status/1351584529652322310
(WaPo's White House reporter)
I'll bet it would be.  The logistics of not smashing someone who near got you and your family killed by a coked up mob would be more than most could overcome.
PDH!

Caliga

Also, Pence is trying to rehabilitate his reputation now, so going to Trump's bullshit thing isn't the smartest way to go about doing that.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Razgovory

Quote from: Caliga on January 19, 2021, 04:24:43 PM
Also, Pence is trying to rehabilitate his reputation now, so going to Trump's bullshit thing isn't the smartest way to go about doing that.

I think there might be genuine disgust on Pence's part.  He's been the loyal lackey this whole time and all it got him was a band of crazy people who tried to lynch him.

He is now the best example of a politician who gave himself entirely over to Trump and got nothing in return.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

The Brain

Quote from: Razgovory on January 19, 2021, 05:38:44 PM

I think there might be genuine disgust on Pence's part.  He's been the loyal lackey this whole time and all it got him was a band of crazy people who tried to lynch him.

He is now the best example of a politician who gave himself entirely over to Trump and got nothing in return.

He got exactly what he was supposed to get. Ain't nothing ever as good as we want it to be.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Barrister

Quote from: Razgovory on January 19, 2021, 05:38:44 PM

He rode that Trump train almost all the way to the end, suffering any end of indignities in order to assure there was no daylight between him and Trump, but at the last hour found something that even he couldn't do - a blatantly unconstitutional move to refuse to count electoral votes awarded to Biden.

And in exchange he gets death threats and is excommunicated from Trumpworld.

We should of course be grateful that he did so and make some level of "room" for ex-Trump officials who did break from Trump, no matter how late.  But we should never forget the preceeding 5 years either.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.