And we're back!

Main Menu

What does a BIDEN Presidency look like?

Started by Caliga, November 07, 2020, 12:07:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sheilbh

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 06, 2021, 01:04:28 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xkwktQ93Qvw

Biden's nomination for Attorney General going to be...wait for it...

Merrick Garland.

That's SASSY.
Is there any reason for this beyond owning the cons? Like is there reason to Garland has the right sort of skillset/experience to be a good AG? Because in my head being an AG and Supreme Court Justice are quite different :hmm:
Let's bomb Russia!

Josquius

Who is this man and why do right wingers hate him?
██████
██████
██████

garbon

Quote from: Tyr on January 08, 2021, 06:33:20 AM

He reminds them of their hypocrisy and Obama.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

The Larch

Merrick Garland? He's the candidate for the Supreme Court nominated by Obama that the Republicans refused to consider because it happened in his last year of the presidency.

Josquius

Quote from: The Larch on January 08, 2021, 06:38:20 AM

Merrick Garland? He's the candidate for the Supreme Court nominated by Obama that the Republicans refused to consider because it happened in his last year of the presidency.
Ahh, makes sense now.

Seems a nice move to give him this position then after he had the other big one unfairly denied him at the last moment.
██████
██████
██████

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Sheilbh on January 08, 2021, 06:19:57 AM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 06, 2021, 01:04:28 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xkwktQ93Qvw

Biden's nomination for Attorney General going to be...wait for it...

Merrick Garland.

That's SASSY.
Is there any reason for this beyond owning the cons? Like is there reason to Garland has the right sort of skillset/experience to be a good AG? Because in my head being an AG and Supreme Court Justice are quite different :hmm:

He worked in the us attorneys office in DC and as deputy associate AG under Clinton before becoming a judge
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Caliga

Quote from: Tyr on January 08, 2021, 06:43:11 AM
Seems a nice move to give him this position then after he had the other big one unfairly denied him at the last moment.
Yeah, and I would love to see him put a bunch of Trumpists, and possibly even Trump himself, in jail.  Oh the delicious irony....
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Sheilbh

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on January 08, 2021, 10:18:41 AM
He worked in the us attorneys office in DC and as deputy associate AG under Clinton before becoming a judge
Okay that is a reasonable background - although query if you'd be better appointing someone with more recent experience than the 90s.

QuoteYeah, and I would love to see him put a bunch of Trumpists, and possibly even Trump himself, in jail.  Oh the delicious irony....
I've read that Trump is considering self-pardoning and it's interesting because I think if he just leaves office Biden will want to move on (and I personally feel that after Iran-Contra, after torture, after the entire Trump administration that some Republicans need to see consequences for what they do when they're in the executive). But if he self-pardons I sort of feel like the DoJ has to prosecute him to challenge the scope of a self-pardon.
Let's bomb Russia!

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Sheilbh on January 08, 2021, 10:32:53 AM
Quote from: The Minsky Moment on January 08, 2021, 10:18:41 AM
Okay that is a reasonable background - although query if you'd be better appointing someone with more recent experience than the 90s.

*cough* Bill Barr *cough*
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Sheilbh

Let's bomb Russia!

Barrister

So McConnell has said there will be no rush to deal with the Trump impeachment - it can wait until after Biden is sworn in.

This has the effect of turning the whole problem over to the Dems and gets Trump, even after he leaves office, to still dominate the agenda even during Biden's first 100 days.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

garbon

Quote from: Barrister on January 13, 2021, 05:08:05 PM
So McConnell has said there will be no rush to deal with the Trump impeachment - it can wait until after Biden is sworn in.

This has the effect of turning the whole problem over to the Dems and gets Trump, even after he leaves office, to still dominate the agenda even during Biden's first 100 days.

Trump and his crew were going to be on the agenda, anyway.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

alfred russel

It isn't a nefarious plot--he really didn't have a choice. Biden takes office in 7 days. Aside from the reality that the Senate is in recess until then, how are you going to hold a trial in 7 days, presided over by the Chief Justice?
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Valmy

He was able to do a Supreme Court Justice confirmation is record time. It is amazing how fast the political process can be when the politicians want it to be fast.

But those two Georgia Democrats will not be in DC until after the 20th and those might be two pretty important votes to convict...

I am just glad we got that impeachment through the House quickly. There is a lot of important business to get to.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

jimmy olsen

Quote from: alfred russel on January 13, 2021, 06:00:17 PM

It isn't a nefarious plot--he really didn't have a choice. Biden takes office in 7 days. Aside from the reality that the Senate is in recess until then, how are you going to hold a trial in 7 days, presided over by the Chief Justice?

There's an emergency Senate rule that allows the Senate to be immediately called into session if the Majority and Minority leader agree. This is just Mitch pushing things down the line so he can take up some of Biden's time and see what other information comes out on this attack.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point