News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

What does a BIDEN Presidency look like?

Started by Caliga, November 07, 2020, 12:07:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

Quote from: Barrister on December 15, 2020, 04:25:11 PM
While I'm aware of who Rahm Emmanuel is, and that he was a former White House Chief of Staff for Obama and former Mayor of Chicago, what exactly is the knock against him?

I am not going to go into it unless his name crops up again. But Max lived in Illinois at the time so he is probably the man to go into the dirty details.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Barrister

Quote from: Valmy on December 15, 2020, 04:46:34 PM
While I'm aware of who Rahm Emmanuel is, and that he was a former White House Chief of Staff for Obama and former Mayor of Chicago, what exactly is the knock against him?

I am not going to go into it unless his name crops up again. But Max lived in Illinois at the time so he is probably the man to go into the dirty details.

I love Max, but I'm pretty sure the fact that Emannuel is a centrist is all the reason Max needs to dislike him.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

The Larch

IIRC he's a very divisive figure amongst the Democrats, already from his time as Obama's chief of staff. Apparently he has a very abrassive personality and his style of negotiating is of the "take no prisoners" style, which rubs a lot of people the wrong way. He has also been criticised for his tenure as major of Chicago, as he seems to have worsened the city's inequality issues, including the handling of some police shootings.

I managed to find this article on the issue:

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2020/dec/11/rahm-emanuel-joe-biden-cabinet-chicago-mayor

QuoteNews that Rahm Emanuel is being considered for transportation secretary or another position in Joe Biden's cabinet or senior team has sparked outrage among Chicagoans who believe his controversial tenure as mayor of that city should disqualify him from a return to the highest echelons of Washington.

Emanuel is a Chicago native with a track record as an Illinois congressman before serving as Barack Obama's chief of staff then two terms as Chicago mayor.

But he's a divisive figure who long ago upset liberals, most prominently in Washington, by discouraging Obama from pursuing what became his signature legislative achievement – healthcare reform via the Affordable Care Act – and then in myriad ways as mayor of Chicago from 2011 to 2019.
(...)
But prominent progressives in Chicago and elsewhere are livid that Biden would even give his name an airing, accusing Emanuel of exacerbating the city's entrenched, acute inequalities and, most dramatically, botching the handling of Black teenager Laquan McDonald's killing by a white police officer in 2014.

Rahm Emanuel "covered up the murder of a young Black man in Chicago in order to advance his political career", city alderman Carlos Ramirez-Rosa said of his potential appointment.

Dashcam footage of 17-year-old McDonald being gunned down by officer Jason Van Dyke, who was convicted in 2018 of the murder, was suppressed for more than a year before a judge ordered it released. Emanuel's role in that delay ignited weeks of local and national protests and calls for his resignation. It left an indelible stain and he didn't run for a third term.

So, maybe not the best appointment for the BLM era.

Josquius

So what are the odds on Georgia?
I'm skeptical. I'm guessing a lot of anti trump republicans voted Biden but will vote republican in the rerun.
██████
██████
██████

Razgovory

Quote from: Tyr on December 19, 2020, 04:18:03 PM
So what are the odds on Georgia?
I'm skeptical. I'm guessing a lot of anti trump republicans voted Biden but will vote republican in the rerun.

Who knows?  Everything is so fucking weird right now.  Normally it should be an easy win for Republicans, but this year Stacey Abrams produced a miracle (the women should run the party), and you have a large number of Republicans who take Donald Trump's statement about a rigged election at face value and say they won't vote.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Valmy

Polls suggest a Republican win...but as Raz said it's weird. So I have no idea.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

alfred russel

Quote from: Razgovory on December 19, 2020, 05:48:11 PM
Who knows?  Everything is so fucking weird right now.  Normally it should be an easy win for Republicans, but this year Stacey Abrams produced a miracle (the women should run the party), and you have a large number of Republicans who take Donald Trump's statement about a rigged election at face value and say they won't vote.

If Stacy Abrams could produce electoral miracles she would be governor now.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

celedhring

Quote from: The Larch on December 15, 2020, 04:59:34 PM

IIRC he's a very divisive figure amongst the Democrats, already from his time as Obama's chief of staff. Apparently he has a very abrassive personality and his style of negotiating is of the "take no prisoners" style, which rubs a lot of people the wrong way.

His brother was the inspiration for the character of Ari Gold in Entourage, I can see abrassiveness running deep in that family  :lol:

Admiral Yi

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xkwktQ93Qvw

Biden's nomination for Attorney General going to be...wait for it...

Merrick Garland.

That's SASSY.

The Larch

Putting that chip on his shoulder to good use.  :lol:

crazy canuck

Quote from: alfred russel on December 19, 2020, 09:31:38 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on December 19, 2020, 05:48:11 PM

If Stacy Abrams could produce electoral miracles she would be governor now.

Or two senate seats.

viper37

I was wondering something that is not clear to me.  Does the new legislative assemblies (House&Senate) begin governing (voting laws, approving budgets, etc) before the new President is sworn in or are they just doing "extraordinary" short sessions to approve the vote of the Electoral College?
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

katmai

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

grumbler

Quote from: viper37 on January 06, 2021, 06:45:05 PM
I was wondering something that is not clear to me.  Does the new legislative assemblies (House&Senate) begin governing (voting laws, approving budgets, etc) before the new President is sworn in or are they just doing "extraordinary" short sessions to approve the vote of the Electoral College?

It's a new Congress, so they can do as they please.  The new President of the Senate doesn't take office until Jan 20th, however.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

mongers

I thought his response yesterday to the Capitol invasion/violence and calling out Trump has very good, maybe a couple of minutes too long, but he can be forgiven for being somewhat angry having seen the shameful events taking place at the heart of US democracy.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"