News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

What does a BIDEN Presidency look like?

Started by Caliga, November 07, 2020, 12:07:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

Biden is trying to do exactly the opposite of that and assure establishment politicians they have nothing to fear, which is precisely what I expected him to do.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

DGuller

What has Yang accomplished, though, besides being a rich businessman who's actually not at all rich?  Does he bring any proven skills to the table?

Valmy

Quote from: DGuller on November 23, 2020, 08:24:21 PM
What has Yang accomplished, though, besides being a rich businessman who's actually not at all rich?  Does he bring any proven skills to the table?

Well he ran non-profits and you don't get rich that way.

Any particular skills you are thinking of? He is an idea guy.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

DGuller

Quote from: Valmy on November 23, 2020, 08:27:37 PM

Skills that translate to managing a large bureaucracy.  Ability to effective fight political battles.  Idea guys don't necessarily make for good managers.

Admiral Yi

Avril Haines named for DNI.  Worked as Deputy Director of CIA under Obama.

Valmy

Quote from: DGuller on November 23, 2020, 08:31:52 PM
Quote from: Valmy on November 23, 2020, 08:27:37 PM

Skills that translate to managing a large bureaucracy.  Ability to effective fight political battles.  Idea guys don't necessarily make for good managers.

Ah good points.

He has managed organizations for most of his career so he has management skills but I don't know if any jobs prepare you well enough to be skilled at running a Federal Bureaucracy. I think his last two or so years have demonstrated he is politically savvy, at least savvy enough for this kind of consideration, but that is a different kind of political battle. I think he is as prepared and skilled as a political appointee to a lower level cabinet position would be expected to be, if not more.

PDH

I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

The Brain

Quote from: Valmy on November 23, 2020, 07:36:27 PM
Quote from: The Brain on November 23, 2020, 06:58:43 PM
How common are antediluvians in top jobs in other kinds of organizations in the US? Like major corporations?

Very common in the olde thyme industries. Tech has broken that recently but some day Bezos and all them will be old and still probably CEOs.

Well owners are a special case that's not really comparable to hired people or elected politicians. I was looking for a pattern in the US of picking ancient people for important top jobs, if such a pattern exists. When major corporations in America hire someone for the top job, do they often hire people who are pushing 80?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: The Brain on November 24, 2020, 03:27:13 AM
Well owners are a special case that's not really comparable to hired people or elected politicians. I was looking for a pattern in the US of picking ancient people for important top jobs, if such a pattern exists. When major corporations in America hire someone for the top job, do they often hire people who are pushing 80?

Doesn't happen.

garbon

How common are antediluvians in top jobs in other kinds of organizations in the US? Like major corporations?

Very common in the olde thyme industries. Tech has broken that recently but some day Bezos and all them will be old and still probably CEOs.

I'm not sure how elected politicians are like hired people.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

The Brain

Quote from: garbon on November 24, 2020, 03:39:07 AM

I'm not sure how elected politicians are like hired people.

What do you mean?

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

The Brain

Quote from: garbon on November 24, 2020, 03:48:57 AM
Presumably those two things would need to be similar to make it worthwhile comparing them to top corporate jobs.

I don't follow. They are both positions that other people pick you for, unlike owners of corporations or politicians that don't bother with elections.

viper37

Quote from: Sheilbh on November 23, 2020, 07:50:57 PM
It just seems like possibly Biden especially should be using this to promote younger talent/give them a chance rather than people from his generation (and should be promoting young figures on his wing of the party). But also I know people have commented on the lack of depth/underwhelming candidates in the Democrats but if so many senior positions are taken up by people in their 70s that might be part of the problem in the modern age.
I agree, but it would be against his nature: play safe, seek agreement from as much people as possible.
Americans tend to be much more conservative than we are, in their politics.  And even here, they talk all they want about how nice it is to have "youngsters" (meaning 40-50 I guess :P ) actually interested in politics, but whenever a younger candidate presents itself in any kind of leadership position, he gets slammed for his/her lack of experience.  Fringe leftist party get away with it, because the electors figure they won't do anything in the opposition (and they're right), and if one of the major traditional party does it, these kind of candidates serve as back benchers with no real responsibilities, and if they ever commit a mistake, they lose whatever responsibilities they have.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Solmyr

It's done in Europe too. Our 35-year old female PM is still slammed by right-wingers for "lack of experience" (despite having served in municipal politics for 10 years). Meanwhile, the previous PM (a conservative middle-aged man) had nothing of the kind despite having come to his party leadership directly from business with no political career.