News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

What does a BIDEN Presidency look like?

Started by Caliga, November 07, 2020, 12:07:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrister

Merrick Garland is reported to be under consideration to be Attorney-General under Biden.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Habbaku

So, what's the case for earmarks? I know plenty against.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Habbaku on November 20, 2020, 06:15:19 PM

Easier to bribe reps to vote for important legislation.

Valmy

What it says to me is that they are going to have a small majority so they probably need to make it worth the reps while to pass legislation.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

The Minsky Moment

Old style corruption that encourages members of congress to cooperate across party lines is better the new style corruption where nothing gets done and politics is about how much the President can steal for friends and family while passing out Get out of Jail Free cards.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Sheilbh

What Yi and Minsky say.

I'm not convinced by the argument. I also don't think it works for everyone, but we may well discover West Virginia's been renamed Joe Manchin State by the end of Biden's term :lol:
Let's bomb Russia!

Razgovory

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on November 20, 2020, 11:19:45 PM

Old style corruption that encourages members of congress to cooperate across party lines is better the new style corruption where nothing gets done and politics is about how much the President can steal for friends and family while passing out Get out of Jail Free cards.

I prefer to think of it as "incentivized bipartisanship".
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Grey Fox

An imperfect solution for an imperfect world.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

crazy canuck

It may be a fix, but it is not a repair.

The Brain

Quote from: Barrister on November 20, 2020, 02:20:13 PM
Merrick Garland is reported to be under consideration to be Attorney-General under Biden.

God I hope he got his mother's looks.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: The Brain on November 21, 2020, 12:54:13 PM

Are you his father?
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

The Brain

Quote from: Eddie Teach on November 21, 2020, 01:19:29 PM
Quote from: The Brain on November 21, 2020, 12:54:13 PM

Are you his father?

That hurts.

katmai

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

The Brain

Eddie Teach

I'm pretty sure Merrick is his given name.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?