And we're back!

Main Menu

What does a BIDEN Presidency look like?

Started by Caliga, November 07, 2020, 12:07:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

grumbler

Quote from: alfred russel on November 09, 2020, 07:01:36 PM
Quote from: Malthus on November 09, 2020, 06:18:31 PM
So far, Trump seems more focused on golfing, tantruming and firing people than on wrecking the US. Hopefully that will continue.

He probably won't do anything to wreck his future in the GOP. He, or a member of his family, would be a front runner in a 2024 GOP primary.

I don't see this at all.  Once Trump can no longer muster the power of the US government to hide his misdeeds, his name is going to turn to mud.  There are plenty of republican demagogues ready to step on his face to move up the political ladder.  The party doesn't need him.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

viper37

Quote from: Solmyr on November 08, 2020, 10:17:35 AM
Quote from: viper37 on November 08, 2020, 08:51:17 AM
Quote from: garbon on November 08, 2020, 08:45:12 AM
AOC is wasting no time... What's the strategy to force the Republican senate to accept progressives in the cabinet?

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2020/nov/08/alexandria-ocasio-cortez-ends-truce-by-warning-incompetent-democratic-party

QuoteAlexandria Ocasio-Cortez ends truce by warning 'incompetent' Democratic party
I don't think she has a strategy.  She's just pissed off the "establishment" of the party blames her team for not winning more House seats.

Wasn't her "team" like the most successful of the Democratic party in these elections?
Yes, but they were all in relatively safe districts.  Everywhere they thought they could flip, the Dems didn't.  McConnell, Graham and Collins are still Senators, no gains there.  Being re-elected in a place where 60% of voters picked Dems the last time ain't such a great achievement.

They scared the centrists away, so now, they want to go further left to piss off the rest of the voters.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: DGuller on November 08, 2020, 10:49:35 AM
BTW, I don't think people like AOC need to be marginalized, I think they're adding a lot of energy to what would otherwise be a geriatric ward.  I also think that they do know something about winning elections that the mainstream Democrats don't. 
I like her style.  But her political ideas, in the US context leave me totally cold, and I'm sure a lot of centrists, moderate right-wingers prefer voting for the GOP rather than risk having that kind of policies put forward.

I just think they both AOC and her fans have to realize that politics is often like a cornstarch:  a soft touch gets you further than a hard whack.  It's better to help people move in the right direction slowly than to involuntarily aid people to move in the wrong direction quickly.  I honestly believe that nothing in the US stands in the way of progress, not even the severely lopsided political system, if very progressive voters embraced pragmatism without losing their enthusiasm.
Well, that's the thing with radicals, they never learn their lesson until its too late.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: Valmy on November 08, 2020, 12:43:33 PM
Yeah our Radical Left is Bernie. He just wants to tax the capitalists, not hang them with the rope they sold him.
that's what he says.   -_-

viper37

Quote from: fromtia on November 08, 2020, 02:05:09 PM
Start addressing the cares and concerns of working Americans outside wealthy suburbs, in poorer areas, in economically ruined areas and rural areas and do it like it's a fucking emergency, because it is.
How would they do that?  They had Obamacare, and they got slapped in the face right after that.
They fixed the China problem by isolating them, Trump wins, flipping Democrat bastions.
It seems everything they do short of giving money away like Trump did, they get hated for it.

Valmy

Quote from: viper37 on November 09, 2020, 11:19:03 PM
Everywhere they thought they could flip, the Dems didn't.

So far we have flipped three districts. Can't we at least wait until all the races are finalized before announcing our big sweeping conclusions?

QuoteThey scared the centrists away, so now, they want to go further left to piss off the rest of the voters.

Trump scared the centrists. As we saw there are not just a ton of centrists left.

This country seems to be growing more radical at both ends. I am not so sure centrism has a strong future, the Republicans sure as fuck have no use for it.

But we will see what comes after Joe Biden.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

merithyn

Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

merithyn

Quote from: alfred russel on November 09, 2020, 12:18:42 PM
Quote from: Grey Fox on November 09, 2020, 12:06:22 PM
Fix rural income insecurity & you'll see change.

Rural areas are fucked. You don't need many people to work on farms, and whatever low cost manufacturing used to be available has generally evaporated.

No one is going to fix rural income insecurity because the immediate future is with urbanization.

I actually wonder if remote working won't do this to some degree.

I have several coworkers who are moving out of the Big City and into small towns. They'll be spending their Big City money in those small town shops. That's going to help. Those dying small towns are suddenly not dying. They're growing and thriving.

This isn't a policy thing, though. It's just a shift in economic reality. But I do think that if the shift is big enough, there's a chance that it will have a direct impact on how rural folks vote.

Valmy

I thought the internet would help revitalize small towns but so far it has only enriched the cities more than ever.

But hey we will see.

I mean if you get 200 of your friends to follow you, you can achieve total political control of Loving County Texas.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

merithyn

Quote from: Valmy on November 10, 2020, 12:57:29 AM
I thought the internet would help revitalize small towns but so far it has only enriched the cities more than ever.

But hey we will see.

I mean if you get 200 of your friends to follow you, you can achieve total political control of Loving County Texas.

I'll let you handle that city. ;)

I'm working on Peoria, Illinois.

Valmy

Quote from: merithyn on November 10, 2020, 12:59:46 AM
Quote from: Valmy on November 10, 2020, 12:57:29 AM

But hey we will see.

I'll let you handle that city. ;)

I'm working on Peoria, Illinois.

It is a county that has only 134 people living in it, the least populated county in the entire continental United States. It has nothing approaching a town much less a city :P

But it is 350 miles from my house so it is only a suggestion for city dwellers wanting to turn a red county blue :P

Eddie Teach

It's most likely a place not worth living in.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Valmy

The Larch

Quote from: Grey Fox on November 09, 2020, 09:11:18 AM
I think AOC is still too young in 2024 both in eligibility & actual age. It's only a max of 8 years, ending your 2 terms before you are 50 makes for a very long post-presidency life.

She turns 35 in 2024, which is the minimum age to become president. I don't think she'll do that, though.

The Larch