News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

What does a BIDEN Presidency look like?

Started by Caliga, November 07, 2020, 12:07:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

viper37

Quote from: Tyr on November 08, 2020, 06:31:44 AM
Soooo.... I just learned Joe Bidens middle name is Robinette. Which in French is apparently a random female version of a tap.
robinet would be a tap.  robinette would be a deformation of the noun.

Don't think I've ever heard of a woman called Robinette, but maybe the french speaking Euros do have some. They're all weird folks over there, with weird accents. :P

The only instance I would hear Robinette would be to mock someone called Robin, kinda like merging tapette (faggot) with his name.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: garbon on November 08, 2020, 08:45:12 AM
AOC is wasting no time... What's the strategy to force the Republican senate to accept progressives in the cabinet?

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2020/nov/08/alexandria-ocasio-cortez-ends-truce-by-warning-incompetent-democratic-party

QuoteAlexandria Ocasio-Cortez ends truce by warning 'incompetent' Democratic party
I don't think she has a strategy.  She's just pissed off the "establishment" of the party blames her team for not winning more House seats.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Solmyr

Quote from: viper37 on November 08, 2020, 08:51:17 AM
AOC is wasting no time... What's the strategy to force the Republican senate to accept progressives in the cabinet?

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2020/nov/08/alexandria-ocasio-cortez-ends-truce-by-warning-incompetent-democratic-party

QuoteAlexandria Ocasio-Cortez ends truce by warning 'incompetent' Democratic party
I don't think she has a strategy.  She's just pissed off the "establishment" of the party blames her team for not winning more House seats.

Wasn't her "team" like the most successful of the Democratic party in these elections?

DGuller

Quote from: Solmyr on November 08, 2020, 10:17:35 AM
Quote from: viper37 on November 08, 2020, 08:51:17 AM

Wasn't her "team" like the most successful of the Democratic party in these elections?
Wouldn't be surprising; when radicals set the agenda, it is moderates who pay.

Tamas

Beat on the table louder?

DGuller

BTW, I don't think people like AOC need to be marginalized, I think they're adding a lot of energy to what would otherwise be a geriatric ward.  I also think that they do know something about winning elections that the mainstream Democrats don't. 

I just think they both AOC and her fans have to realize that politics is often like a cornstarch:  a soft touch gets you further than a hard whack.  It's better to help people move in the right direction slowly than to involuntarily aid people to move in the wrong direction quickly.  I honestly believe that nothing in the US stands in the way of progress, not even the severely lopsided political system, if very progressive voters embraced pragmatism without losing their enthusiasm.

Syt

Obama had the birth certificate and "secret Muslim" nonsense going on.

I presume that Biden will have to deal with the "stolen election" stuff during his presidency. Which is even more destructive and will likely have more adherents.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

The Larch

Why is AOC blamed for "ending the truce" when it was John Kasich the one who made the first shot, blaming them from "almost costing Biden the election"?

QuoteProgressives Outraged as Biden Ally John Kasich Warns Democrats on the Far Left

Progressives in Congress fired back at former Republican Ohio Governor John Kasich on Saturday after the Joe Biden ally issued a warning to Democrats on the far left.

After media outlets projected President Donald Trump's defeat, Kasich—one of the Republicans reportedly being floated as a potential Cabinet choice for Biden's administration—said "the Democrats have to make it clear to the far left that they almost cost him the election."

Just a stunning statement from, again, Biden surrogate John Kasich: "The Democrats have to make it clear to the far-left that they almost cost him this election." https://t.co/Am9lcQ1WSq

— Hanna Trudo (@HCTrudo) November 7, 2020

Members of the so-called "squad" immediately responded to the remark. "Every single swing-seat House Democrat who endorsed #MedicareForAll won re-election or is on track to win re-election. Every. Single.One," Congresswoman Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez of New York tweeted.

Anyone saying this after immigrant organizers delivered AZ, Black grassroots flipped Georgia, MI going blue w reality-bending 94% Detroit margin @RashidaTlaib running up the margins in her district & Trump publicly challenging @IlhanMN in MN and losing isn't a serious person. https://t.co/2FtJzqGki8

— Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez (@AOC) November 7, 2020

In another tweet, Ocasio-Cortez quote tweeted Kasich's warning, and asked: "Anyone saying this after immigrant organizers delivered AZ, Black grassroots flipped Georgia, MI going blue w reality-bending 94% Detroit margin + @RashidaTlaib running up the margins in her district & Trump publicly challenging @IlhanMN in MN and losing isn't a serious person."

Congresswoman Ilhan Omar of Minnesota joined Ocasio-Cortez in defending progressives. "And every single swing-seat House Democrat who is a member of the Progressive Caucus won or is on track to win re-election," she tweeted. "Every. Single. One."

And every single swing-seat House Democrat who is a member of the Progressive Caucus won or is on track to win re-election.

Every. Single.  One.  https://t.co/asmBijiXrP

— Ilhan Omar (@IlhanMN) November 7, 2020

Ocasio-Cortez urged Democrats to embrace progressives and activists instead of blaming them.

"One thing I'll say: for the last two years, I and progressive candidates have been unseating powerful Dem incumbents supported by DCCC. Not *once* has anyone in the party asked me what weaknesses I've found in their operation. If they stop blaming progressives, we can help," she wrote. "I saw party consultants take over a Congressional swing campaign operation this year and was it wasn't good."

"The blind impulse to blame activists and the left both demoralizes a key constituency and distracts from asking real Qs & fixing serious operational issues," the lawmaker added.

One thing I'll say: for the last two years, I and progressive candidates have been unseating powerful Dem incumbents supported by DCCC.

Not *once* has anyone in the party asked me what weaknesses I've found in their operation.

If they stop blaming progressives, we can help.

Newsweek reached out to Kasich for comment.

Tamas

I guess this is always going to be disadvantage of the Left. On the Right you have people who get all their submissive and authoritarian erogenous zones tickled when required to fall in line behind the latest leader chosen. People on the left are much less inclined to do that.

Malthus

Quote from: The Larch on November 08, 2020, 11:10:22 AM
Why is AOC blamed for "ending the truce" when it was John Kasich the one who made the first shot, blaming them from "almost costing Biden the election"?

QuoteProgressives Outraged as Biden Ally John Kasich Warns Democrats on the Far Left

Progressives in Congress fired back at former Republican Ohio Governor John Kasich on Saturday after the Joe Biden ally issued a warning to Democrats on the far left.

After media outlets projected President Donald Trump's defeat, Kasich—one of the Republicans reportedly being floated as a potential Cabinet choice for Biden's administration—said "the Democrats have to make it clear to the far left that they almost cost him the election."

Just a stunning statement from, again, Biden surrogate John Kasich: "The Democrats have to make it clear to the far-left that they almost cost him this election." https://t.co/Am9lcQ1WSq

— Hanna Trudo (@HCTrudo) November 7, 2020

Members of the so-called "squad" immediately responded to the remark. "Every single swing-seat House Democrat who endorsed #MedicareForAll won re-election or is on track to win re-election. Every. Single.One," Congresswoman Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez of New York tweeted.

Anyone saying this after immigrant organizers delivered AZ, Black grassroots flipped Georgia, MI going blue w reality-bending 94% Detroit margin @RashidaTlaib running up the margins in her district & Trump publicly challenging @IlhanMN in MN and losing isn't a serious person. https://t.co/2FtJzqGki8

In another tweet, Ocasio-Cortez quote tweeted Kasich's warning, and asked: "Anyone saying this after immigrant organizers delivered AZ, Black grassroots flipped Georgia, MI going blue w reality-bending 94% Detroit margin + @RashidaTlaib running up the margins in her district & Trump publicly challenging @IlhanMN in MN and losing isn't a serious person."

Congresswoman Ilhan Omar of Minnesota joined Ocasio-Cortez in defending progressives. "And every single swing-seat House Democrat who is a member of the Progressive Caucus won or is on track to win re-election," she tweeted. "Every. Single. One."

And every single swing-seat House Democrat who is a member of the Progressive Caucus won or is on track to win re-election.

Every. Single.  One.  https://t.co/asmBijiXrP

— Ilhan Omar (@IlhanMN) November 7, 2020

Ocasio-Cortez urged Democrats to embrace progressives and activists instead of blaming them.

"One thing I'll say: for the last two years, I and progressive candidates have been unseating powerful Dem incumbents supported by DCCC. Not *once* has anyone in the party asked me what weaknesses I've found in their operation. If they stop blaming progressives, we can help," she wrote. "I saw party consultants take over a Congressional swing campaign operation this year and was it wasn't good."

"The blind impulse to blame activists and the left both demoralizes a key constituency and distracts from asking real Qs & fixing serious operational issues," the lawmaker added.

One thing I'll say: for the last two years, I and progressive candidates have been unseating powerful Dem incumbents supported by DCCC.

Not *once* has anyone in the party asked me what weaknesses I've found in their operation.

If they stop blaming progressives, we can help.

Newsweek reached out to Kasich for comment.

It seems to me there are two things going on here.

Progressives are beating out moderates within the party. So they point out they have the advantage over moderates. They also point out that they are winning their races.

Moderates are claiming progressives are costing the party, as a whole, against the other party in races where the areas are contentious between the parties.

Both of these things can be true at the same time, though. The end result, assuming they are both true, is a party dominated by progressives that does less well against Republicans overall, because they can't win in contentious areas. The party becomes localized in safe Democrat areas that are very progressive ... but can't command majorities.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

The Brain

Quote from: Tamas on November 08, 2020, 11:14:49 AM
I guess this is always going to be disadvantage of the Left. On the Right you have people who get all their submissive and authoritarian erogenous zones tickled when required to fall in line behind the latest leader chosen. People on the left are much less inclined to do that.

To be fair, on the right leaders like Trump aren't afraid to put all their points in INT and CHA. That gives them an advantage here.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Tamas

Quote from: The Brain on November 08, 2020, 11:19:13 AM

To be fair, on the right leaders like Trump aren't afraid to put all their points in INT and CHA. That gives them an advantage here.

CHA maybe but INT? the elder Bush maybe but his son, Trump, or Reagan? Come on.

FunkMonk

Quote from: Syt on November 08, 2020, 11:03:13 AM
Obama had the birth certificate and "secret Muslim" nonsense going on.

I presume that Biden will have to deal with the "stolen election" stuff during his presidency. Which is even more destructive and will likely have more adherents.

I think this is a reason a lot of establishment Republicans are still not openly acknowledging Biden's victory, although there's been a lot of careful messaging and dare I say hedging among Republicans regarding the election results.

They know, and reasonably sensible people around Trump know, and I suspect even Trump himself knows, that they have nothing that will overturn the election in the courts. Everyone knows they are going to lose these extremely dumb and baseless lawsuits. But the base needs to see that they at least tried and that they had their day in court. If the Rs don't at least appear to put up a fight then the base will never forgive them for not fighting the good fight. It's a case of the tail wagging the dog again.

It's absolutely insane than the party itself is scared to death of their own voters but that's where we are.
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

The Brain

Quote from: Tamas on November 08, 2020, 11:23:30 AM
Quote from: The Brain on November 08, 2020, 11:19:13 AM

CHA maybe but INT? the elder Bush maybe but his son, Trump, or Reagan? Come on.

Do not question my jokes.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

garbon

Quote from: DGuller on November 08, 2020, 10:49:35 AM
BTW, I don't think people like AOC need to be marginalized, I think they're adding a lot of energy to what would otherwise be a geriatric ward.  I also think that they do know something about winning elections that the mainstream Democrats don't. 

I just think they both AOC and her fans have to realize that politics is often like a cornstarch:  a soft touch gets you further than a hard whack.  It's better to help people move in the right direction slowly than to involuntarily aid people to move in the wrong direction quickly.  I honestly believe that nothing in the US stands in the way of progress, not even the severely lopsided political system, if very progressive voters embraced pragmatism without losing their enthusiasm.

All fair points.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.