News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

What does a BIDEN Presidency look like?

Started by Caliga, November 07, 2020, 12:07:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OttoVonBismarck

Suits and ties are not medieval court dress, they are still commonly worn across the business and legal world, and hooded sweatshirts have no place where serious business is conducted.

Just because a bunch of tech bro frat boys got really rich in the 00s doesn't mean good taste went out the door. Learn to dress appropriately, bums.

grumbler

Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 19, 2023, 01:24:18 PMShowing up in court in shorts and a hoodie is a sign of disrespect.  The same applies to Congress.

Disagree.  To me, it all depends on the circumstances.  The only source I could find for the photo was a bumper-sticker post on twitter, so I don't know the circumstances.  If your rule is "suits only all the time in the Capital Building" then circumstances, obviously, don't matter to you.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

garbon

Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on May 19, 2023, 02:59:44 PMSuits and ties are not medieval court dress, they are still commonly worn across the business and legal world, and hooded sweatshirts have no place where serious business is conducted.

Just because a bunch of tech bro frat boys got really rich in the 00s doesn't mean good taste went out the door. Learn to dress appropriately, bums.

Agreed.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

grumbler

Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on May 19, 2023, 02:59:44 PMSuits and ties are not medieval court dress, they are still commonly worn across the business and legal world, and hooded sweatshirts have no place where serious business is conducted.

I've seen plenty of people conduct serious business in places where hoodies were common.  Universities, for instance, or offices with relaxed dress codes.  The idea that all serious people have to dress like they have a stick up their ass was passé by the end of the 1960s.  Dress codes are situational in the modern world.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Sheilbh

Quote from: garbon on May 19, 2023, 03:38:42 PM

Agreed.
I've never worked anywhere that had suits and ties as the norm, but there was normally a fairly clear sense of what business dress is (and everyone changed into their shoes in the office).

I think there is an advantage to having a legible social code of what that means and when it's apparopriate. And that will vary in different workplaces. It will vary depending on culture and setting - media or marketing are different than law or medicine. But I think one of the purposes of those codes is that they provide a uniform of sorts - if you're young, junior, from a different background you almost get told what to wear. And I think there is especially for younger people maybe something in adopting your tribe through that uniform - whether it's city boys, or tech bros, or Clem Fandangos.

As I say it'll vary sector to sector but I'm not convinced that holding up middle-aged white guys in positions of power bucking that uniform is quite as positive as it seems - at least not unless there's a new social code that is understood and open to the most junior members of staff who don't come from the same social background/class.

It doesn't necessarily mean or signify anything in particular - any more than any other fashion choice does - but it is a way of communicating to each other.

On that I would add that I think women and minorities and people from a different social class feel a lot more anxiety about making a faux pas by wearing the wrong thing or being over-casual or about being taken "seriously". Ironically I think a common "uniform" may actually help allay that, rather than making them seem stuffy. I think it's true of a few social codes - that's a little like a class or privilege version of needing to know the rules in order to know how to break them.
Let's bomb Russia!

Hamilcar

"Learn to dress appropriately, bums", says old man from previous era.

Josquius

Suits and ties need to hurry and die off fully.
██████
██████
██████

Zanza

Even the McKinsey consultants at my workplace have stopped wearing ties.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Hamilcar on May 19, 2023, 01:35:49 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 19, 2023, 01:24:18 PMShowing up in court in shorts and a hoodie is a sign of disrespect.  The same applies to Congress.

Hard disagree. Wearing suits and ties is like medieval court dress. It's only slightly less anachronistic today than the weirdo gowns Charles wore during his coronation.

Hoodie and jeans is business formal now.

Yi said Court and Congress. 

Criminal defendants who want shorter sentences show up in suit and tie. Criminal defendants who want longer sentences wear shorts and hoodie.  You may not like it but that's still the way it is.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

grumbler

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on May 20, 2023, 11:51:17 AM
Quote from: Hamilcar on May 19, 2023, 01:35:49 PM

Hard disagree. Wearing suits and ties is like medieval court dress. It's only slightly less anachronistic today than the weirdo gowns Charles wore during his coronation.

Hoodie and jeans is business formal now.

Yi said Court and Congress. 

Criminal defendants who want shorter sentences show up in suit and tie. Criminal defendants who want longer sentences wear shorts and hoodie.  You may not like it but that's still the way it is.

Really?  There are never any informal meetings in the courts where dress code is relaxed to not require suits and ties?  Even the spectators in the court have to wear coat and tie or formal dress?

Or is dress code, as I have argued, situational?

Bayraktar!

OttoVonBismarck

There's not a formal dress code for defendants in court, which JR clearly explained.

The Minsky Moment

Defendants can wear whatever they want, but their sartorial choices may impact their fate.

Same goes for civil cases including video depositions. 
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

PDH

It is, in a way, like the job applicant whose email is "[email protected]" - it very well could create a negative impression...
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Josquius

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on May 21, 2023, 09:57:25 AMDefendants can wear whatever they want, but their sartorial choices may impact their fate.

Same goes for civil cases including video depositions. 

As true as it is, this is something that needs challenging.
██████
██████
██████

HVC

Quote from: PDH on May 21, 2023, 02:05:11 PMIt is, in a way, like the job applicant whose email is "[email protected]" - it very well could create a negative impression...

You anti Sir Mix-a-lot stance will not stand!
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.