News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

What does a BIDEN Presidency look like?

Started by Caliga, November 07, 2020, 12:07:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Brain

Surely violent Canadian nudists are nothing new in US politics.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

grumbler

Nancy Pelosi stepping down from House Democratic leadership.
NY Times

I think that this is a good thing for the Dems.  Unless they select another septuagenarian.  The top three spots right now are all over eighty.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Barrister

Quote from: grumbler on November 17, 2022, 02:00:26 PMNancy Pelosi stepping down from House Democratic leadership.
NY Times

I think that this is a good thing for the Dems.  Unless they select another septuagenarian.  The top three spots right now are all over eighty.

According to this Politico article the next Minority Leader appears set to be 52 year old Hakeem Jeffries who is running unopposed for the position.

https://www.politico.com/news/2022/11/17/pelosi-first-woman-speaker-to-depart-dem-leadership-in-seismic-shift-00069222
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

FunkMonk

Seems to be a generational shift in the Democratic party leadership. Except for the President of course.
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Grey Fox

That's good. The great generation was really hell bent on not letting any boomer control the congress wing of the democratic party.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

grumbler

Quote from: Grey Fox on November 17, 2022, 06:48:15 PMThat's good. The great generation was really hell bent on not letting any boomer control the congress wing of the democratic party.

I'm not sure that that was a "great" generation.  One of them landed on the moon, to be sure, and MLK Jr was one of them, but they don't stack up well against either the Greatest Generation or the Boomers.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

The Larch

So apparently the first thing that new House Speaker McCarthy wants to do is strip three Democrat Congressmen of their comittee assignments, namely Adam Schiff, Eric Swalwell and Ilhan Omar. Any idea why?

OttoVonBismarck

Because the Democrats stripped at least one Republican of all committee assignments against the desires of the minority leader (which is not normally done), specifically Marjorie Taylor-Greene, I think they may have gone after a couple of the other fringe GOP congress people who had threatened/said really inappropriate things. McCarthy promised at the time he would retaliate--he wasn't willing to sign off on any discipline for MTG's statements, and "normally" the minority leader gets to set committee assignments for the minority seats on each committee, so Pelosi using House rules to overrule him on that was seen as a violation of norms.

Note that not agreeing to punish MTG for the rules violations she committed by threatening another member of the House was also a violation of norms by McCarthy.

The Larch

Aaah, the good old "eye for an eye", only threefold. It will be fantastic for good cooperation across the aisle.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: The Larch on November 21, 2022, 08:51:42 PMSo apparently the first thing that new House Speaker McCarthy wants to do is strip three Democrat Congressmen of their comittee assignments, namely Adam Schiff, Eric Swalwell and Ilhan Omar. Any idea why?

Because OSC sent him a really nice Christmas card and got off the list.

If McCarthy's goal was to show how short of leash the MAGA crazies put on him, he has succeeded.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Sophie Scholl

I honestly wonder if they'll even vote to appoint him to be Speaker. It seems just as likely the radical Right Wing will put up some unhinged MAGA clown and the rest of the cowards will go along with it. It would be somewhat amusing to see a few Republicans break ranks (I know, nigh impossible) to vote for a super moderate Dem to hold the position.
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

Admiral Yi

Sophie Scholl

He was internally nominated, but it isn't binding to the Representatives and isn't official till the new Congress goes into session in January. He only managed a 188-31 vote within the Republican internal voting, so there is still some doubt.

https://www.npr.org/2022/11/15/1136811629/mccarthy-nominated-house-speaker-gop-republicans
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

OttoVonBismarck

Yeah, there is no formal vote for Speaker until the new session starts and the news congresscrits are sworn in, but it would be fairly unheard of for the internal voting to not tightly predict how the voting will go in January.