News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

What does a BIDEN Presidency look like?

Started by Caliga, November 07, 2020, 12:07:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

Losing the House sucks but losing the Senate would be far worse. So long as we have the Senate, Joe can still appoint people and run the government. We came very close to a disastrous situation in 2020 before those miraculous Georgia victories.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Habbaku

I voted six times this time around before they found me out.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

alfred russel

Quote from: Valmy on October 25, 2022, 09:34:59 AMLosing the House sucks but losing the Senate would be far worse. So long as we have the Senate, Joe can still appoint people and run the government. We came very close to a disastrous situation in 2020 before those miraculous Georgia victories.

If we can't function with a republican senate and a democratic president then we should just give up on democracy / functional government. I'm not saying we can, but I'm hopeful.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Berkut

Quote from: alfred russel on October 25, 2022, 10:35:03 AM
Quote from: Valmy on October 25, 2022, 09:34:59 AMLosing the House sucks but losing the Senate would be far worse. So long as we have the Senate, Joe can still appoint people and run the government. We came very close to a disastrous situation in 2020 before those miraculous Georgia victories.

If we can't function with a republican senate and a democratic president then we should just give up on democracy / functional government. I'm not saying we can, but I'm hopeful.
Do you think if a SC Justice retires, under any circumstances, McConnell will allow Biden to appoint a replacement?
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Valmy

Well McConnell had promised to block every appointment to the Cabinet. So we didn't get an opportunity to find out.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

alfred russel

Maybe the bigger concern for me is that Republican candidate quality is plummeting. You have people like Tommy Tuberville in the Senate, who while a good football coach doesn't seem at all coherent as a political leader. You could have people coming into the senate like Herschel Walker who is far worse. Dr. Oz, Blake Masters, an incredibly senile dude from Iowa, etc....at a certain point the problem isn't just that the republican side is supporting bad policy but the republican side is just a random collection of clueless dudes with a history of domestic violence and success at russian roulette.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)

Valmy

Quote from: Berkut on October 25, 2022, 10:39:52 AM

Do you think if a SC Justice retires, under any circumstances, McConnell will allow Biden to appoint a replacement?

There is a zero chance.

OttoVonBismarck

Yeah, under normal circumstances even a recalcitrant Republican Senate would likely approve most cabinet officials and most non-Supreme Court justices. But with the general decline in quality of Republican Senators as even the Senate gets captured by the anti-reality faction it is hard to say what happens. Our Federal government was largely designed to not work well if there was extreme factionalism, but the safety valve for that back in the Founding era was the Federal government was not all that important. Then in a lucky bit of history one of the major factions essentially died off so we had one party rule for a long time which allowed things to function. It is difficult to see how we don't face the likelihood in the next few decades of a prolonged period of the Federal government largely ceasing to function in many areas. A sort of "patch" has been for Presidents to kinda go off the books and do whatever they want, without congressional approval, but the courts are starting to quash that down.

For appointments outside of executive branch, I think you won't ever see an opposite party Supreme Court justice confirmed by the Senate again in our lifetimes, like I genuinely think for example if a Democrat Senate (or vice versa) was seated, with a Republican President, and a Supreme Court justice died or retired the first week of that President's term, the Supreme Court would simply have 8 justices indefinitely. Until either the President's party won the Senate or the Presidency was retaken by the Senate party.

Jacob

Is this real? Ben Shapiro - who to my knowledge has never said a single thing I agree with - endorses Fetterman (D) over Dr. Oz (R) in Pennsylvania?

https://twitter.com/i/status/1584901721980997632

The Larch

Quote from: Jacob on October 26, 2022, 05:14:38 PMIs this real? Ben Shapiro - who to my knowledge has never said a single thing I agree with - endorses Fetterman (D) over Dr. Oz (R) in Pennsylvania?

https://twitter.com/i/status/1584901721980997632

Taking a look at Shapiro's Twitter feed (i feel dirty now), I doubt the veracity of that clip.

Admiral Yi

My money is on real.  AFAIK his shtick has always been culture war stuff and he hasn't made a lot of pronouncements about who to vote for.  Plus that is his voice and the likeness is synced with it so I don't think deep fake.

The Larch

Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 26, 2022, 05:47:37 PMMy money is on real.  AFAIK his shtick has always been culture war stuff and he hasn't made a lot of pronouncements about who to vote for.  Plus that is his voice and the likeness is synced with it so I don't think deep fake.

Every single reference he makes to Fetterman in his feed, tweets, retweets, quoted articles, etc, is a negative one.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: The Larch on October 26, 2022, 06:00:14 PMEvery single reference he makes to Fetterman in his feed, tweets, retweets, quoted articles, etc, is a negative one.

Fair enough.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0cYYSOh3_uo

Another abortion for Hershel.

Tonitrus

Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 26, 2022, 05:47:37 PMMy money is on real.  AFAIK his shtick has always been culture war stuff and he hasn't made a lot of pronouncements about who to vote for.  Plus that is his voice and the likeness is synced with it so I don't think deep fake.

I thought it looked totally fake and out of synch.  Not a deep fake, just barely plausible lip-synching and well-time cutaways.

alfred russel

Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 26, 2022, 06:03:14 PMAnother abortion for Hershel.

A lot of republicans pay lip service to women's health and providing a safety net outside of government; but it seems like Herschel is one of the few actually willing to put his personal resources behind those things?