News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

What does a BIDEN Presidency look like?

Started by Caliga, November 07, 2020, 12:07:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

grumbler

Quote from: Grey Fox on July 02, 2022, 01:27:49 PM
Quote from: DGuller on July 02, 2022, 11:23:42 AMI had no idea it referred to Handmaid's Tale, I didn't even know what it was until I googled it just know.  Apparently it's a novel by some obscure Canadian author.  I just assumed that the cartoon described some horrible vision of the future, and that we got there because too many voters vote for the dumbest of reasons.

Do you even read this forum?

I would have thought that the reference to "some obscure Canadian author" would have clued you in that he was joking.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

viper37

Quote from: DGuller on July 02, 2022, 11:23:42 AMApparently it's a novel by some obscure Canadian author.
She's not obscure on Languish :P
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: The Larch on July 02, 2022, 11:33:35 AMApparently that's a real letter that a woman in Dallas received recently.  :wacko:

CdM is a really a woman in Dallas?

Wow, never saw that coming.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

The Larch

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on July 02, 2022, 03:48:16 PM
Quote from: The Larch on July 02, 2022, 11:33:35 AMApparently that's a real letter that a woman in Dallas received recently.  :wacko:

I'd have expected his answer to be much more loquacious and sweary.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 01, 2022, 11:05:10 PMI'm agnostic about Handmaid's Tale as an imagining of a dystopia in which the vast majority of women are rendered infertile.  It would shock society and I can imagine efforts to reorganize the limited resource for optimal reproduction.

I'm less enamored of Handmaid's Tale as a critique of current society or current trends.

Yeah, because a religiously motivated political movement gaining political power is just crazy talk.

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

crazy canuck

Quote from: Eddie Teach on July 03, 2022, 05:14:43 AM
Quote from: crazy canuck on July 02, 2022, 04:59:09 PM
Quote from: Eddie Teach on July 02, 2022, 01:31:22 PMHe probably doesn't get Hulu.

Or read

You realize he's joking, right?  :hmm:

Yeah, that is why I was responding to you and not him - you may have missed the point of my post.  Not the first time.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: alfred russel on July 01, 2022, 06:39:39 AM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on February 24, 2022, 08:41:48 AM
Quote from: alfred russel on February 22, 2022, 11:58:19 AM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on February 22, 2022, 06:45:02 AM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 15, 2022, 06:15:20 PMApparently Hershel Walker is running for US Senator from Georgia as a Republican.  A Trump friendly Republican according to CNN.

Help for Yuros: retired black football player.
Dude has dissociative identity disorder, hard to see him overcoming that.

There are betting odds on him getting the republican nomination for Senate. He is at 90%.

There are also betting odds on Republicans winning the senate race. They are at 62%.

Just how disconnected from the country are you?
Haven't been any dark money ads attacking his mental state yet.

Alright Tim, now there have been a zillion ads attacking him from all directions...He won the republican primary by 54% and fivethirtyeight now has him a 55% favorite to win the senate seat.

https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/2022-election-forecast/senate/georgia/

Are you ready to admit defeat on this one?
I'll admit defeat when he wins and not sooner. The trend on the polls listed on the bottom seems good.

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

jimmy olsen

Quote from: DGuller on July 02, 2022, 11:23:42 AMI had no idea it referred to Handmaid's Tale, I didn't even know what it was until I googled it just know.  Apparently it's a novel by some obscure Canadian author.  I just assumed that the cartoon described some horrible vision of the future, and that we got there because too many voters vote for the dumbest of reasons.
Joke, or you really don't know the author is Malthus aunt and super famous?
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Razgovory

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on July 02, 2022, 03:48:16 PM

Seedy would threaten to beat them with a bag full of fetuses.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

grumbler

Dead fetuses.  An important distinction.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

HVC

Quote from: grumbler on July 03, 2022, 10:44:43 PMDead fetuses.  An important distinction.

Due to recent legal changes CdM might have issues sources said dead fetuses.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

The Larch

QuoteBiden signs executive order on abortion, declares Supreme Court 'out of control'

WASHINGTON, July 8 (Reuters) - U.S. President Joe Biden said the Supreme Court decision overturning the right to an abortion was an exercise in "raw political power" and signed an executive order on Friday to help protect access to services to terminate pregnancies.

Biden, a Democrat, has been under pressure from his own party to take action after the landmark decision last month to overturn Roe v Wade, which upended roughly 50 years of protections for women's reproductive rights.

The president's powers are constrained because U.S. states can make laws restricting abortion and access to medication, and the executive order is expected to have a limited impact.

"What we're witnessing wasn't a constitutional judgment, it was an exercise in raw political power," Biden told reporters at the White House after quoting heavily from the dissenting opinion in the ruling.

"We cannot allow an out of control Supreme Court, working in conjunction with extremist elements of the Republican party, to take away freedoms and our personal autonomy," he said.

The White House is not publicly entertaining the idea of reforming the court itself or expanding the nine-member panel, an option pushed by Congressional Progressive Caucus chair Representative Pramila Jayapal.

In Friday's speech, Biden instead laid out how abortion rights could be secured by voters if they elected more pro-choice senators, and noted the Supreme Court majority opinion referred to women's "political power."

"I don't think the court, or for that matter Republicans ... have a clue about the power of American women," he said, adding he believed women would turn out in record numbers in November's election to restore women's rights.

He also cited recent reports that a 10-year-old girl in Ohio was forced to travel to Indiana to have an abortion after she was raped.

"Imagine being a little girl. Just imagine being a little girl, 10 years old. Does anyone believe that?," he said.

Asked what, exactly could change for women immediately after the order was signed, Jen Klein, director of the president's Gender Policy Council at the White House afterwards, did not name any specifics.

"You can't solve by executive action what the Supreme Court has done," she said.

Still, progressive lawmakers and abortion rights groups welcomed the executive order. Senator Elizabeth Warren called it "important first steps," and asked the administration to explore every available option to protect abortion rights.

Protecting abortion rights is a top issue for women Democrats, Reuters polling shows, and more than 70% of Americans think the issue should be left to a woman and her doctor. read more

Republican National Committee Chairwoman Ronna McDaniel said "Democrats are out of touch with the American people" after Biden's remarks.

On Friday, Biden directed the Health and Human Services Department to protect and expand access to "medication abortion" approved by the Food and Drug Administration. Experts have said a pill used to terminate early pregnancies is unlikely to become available without a prescription for years.

He also directed the department to ensure women have access to emergency medical care, family planning services, and contraception, including intrauterine devices (IUDs).

The Supreme Court's ruling restored states' ability to ban abortion. As a result, women with unwanted pregnancies face the choice of traveling to another state where the procedure remains legal and available, buying abortion pills online, or having a potentially dangerous illegal abortion.

The issue may help drive Democrats to the polls in the November midterm elections, when Republicans have a chance of taking control of Congress.

Biden's executive order also aims to protect patients' privacy and ensuring safety for mobile abortion clinics at state borders, and directs the establishment of a task force to coordinate the administration's response on reproductive health care access.

The ruling is expected to have a disproportionate impact on Black women and other women of color, who have traditionally faced overwhelming costs and logistical obstacles in obtaining reproductive healthcare, experts said.

Josquius

Fingers crossed American women do turn out then.
██████
██████
██████