News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

US Election Week 2020

Started by Barrister, November 03, 2020, 01:17:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josquius

Checking the ticker Georgia seems done. Votes remaining has gone over into negative.
But damn everything is going slow.
██████
██████
██████

crazy canuck

And Georgia is going to a recount after it is finished the first round of counting.

Valmy

Quote from: crazy canuck on November 06, 2020, 05:08:21 PM
And Georgia is going to a recount after it is finished the first round of counting.

Don't forget the overseas votes.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

crazy canuck

Quote from: Valmy on November 06, 2020, 05:10:43 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on November 06, 2020, 05:08:21 PM

Don't forget the overseas votes.

Right, I had  :)

Sheilbh

Quote from: Malthus on November 06, 2020, 04:54:42 PM
I think Trump may grasp at any straws, and the GOP is largely so cowardly they will go along with it so as not to be seen as "disloyal".

I think it will fail dismally (as Trump court challenges have all failed so far) and the the GOP simply will not care - of Trump is tossed out on his ear, so much the better for them.

They can then go back to their favourite plan - making sure Biden can't get anything done, using complete obstructionism on every issue ... then blaming the Democrats for failure to accomplish anything.
I think it's situational. If this were down to one state and they'd lost the Senate then I think Republicans would back Trump all the way.

It looks like it's closer to 5 states and they've kept the Senate. They might not be profiles in courage, but I just don't see the upside for them standing with Trump (unless they're running in 2024). If they back away they can, in February 2021, say they didn't always agree with Trump and they told him no when he went too far and they put country first and even they can't work with Joe Biden, he's too extreme.

It's a great opportunity for many Republicans (especially as reality will grind on - Biden will receive briefings and beefed up security, transition teams will start working even if Trump says he's being cheated) to build credibility at minimum cost - unless they're looking at the 2024 primary.
Let's bomb Russia!

merithyn

Quote from: Malthus on November 06, 2020, 04:54:42 PM
Quote from: Valmy on November 06, 2020, 04:50:24 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on November 06, 2020, 04:46:35 PM
Quote from: Valmy on November 06, 2020, 04:45:04 PM
I don't believe such a crazy plan would succeed. The Republicans are eager to move on to cash in an ineffectual Biden Presidency with a huge win in 2022. I don't think they are going to sell out everything just to keep Donald around.

Someone tell that to the Republicans that are going into delay mode.  I have no reason to not believe the election official from Arizona.

Hey if you are right, you are right.

But I will need to see some pretty convincing evidence that everybody is falling in line with this plan to buy it.

Trump lost this election but the Republicans won it to a degree. I think they will be eager to move forward to capitalize on what they have won, not sacrifice it all in a losing cause.

But hey maybe they are completely insane and self-destructive. I wouldn't be totally shocked. It just strikes me as unlikely.

Biden coming in under a cloud of controversy with a hostile Senate majority is almost perfect for them.

I think Trump may grasp at any straws, and the GOP is largely so cowardly they will go along with it so as not to be seen as "disloyal".

I think it will fail dismally (as Trump court challenges have all failed so far) and the the GOP simply will not care - of Trump is tossed out on his ear, so much the better for them.

They can then go back to their favourite plan - making sure Biden can't get anything done, using complete obstructionism on every issue ... then blaming the Democrats for failure to accomplish anything.

Jesus. All of this is so fucking disheartening. :(

Cel and larchie? Either of you up for a on-paper-only wife so that I can get Spanish citizenship? :unsure: I'll buy us an apartment.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

crazy canuck

@ Sheilbh Not just the 2024 primary though.  I think they will all worry about being primaried by Trumpists if they are disloyal now.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Zoupa on November 06, 2020, 01:54:10 PM
Cheesesteaks are one of the worst things I've ever eaten. Shit meat with shit cheese with shit bread. It's not even good as a fast food.

It's supposed to be very thinly sliced ribeye, which is a damn good cut.  So no, not shit meat.

Syt, you tried to cook one at home; check out the Binging with Babish video for a good how to if still interested.

Admiral Yi

What the hell is the point of the Alaskimo law that mail ins can't be counted until a week after E-day?  :wacko:

The states that don't allow counting to begin until the day of are bad enough, but there at least i see the argument that leaking partial counts could sway the election.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 06, 2020, 05:31:03 PM
What the hell is the point of the Alaskimo law that mail ins can't be counted until a week after E-day?  :wacko:

The states that don't allow counting to begin until the day of are bad enough, but there at least i see the argument that leaking partial counts could sway the election.

Presumably that is give time to double check the person did not also vote on election day.  Here in BC our mail in votes are not counted until two weeks later for the same reason.

PJL

I think it's pretty obvious that Trump is going to do whatever it takes to steal the election now, after all, he always accuses his opponents of the same thing in whatever he's doing. And I'm sure the Republican party will fall into line anyway because they've done whatever they've can to game the system for at least a decade now. No reason why they should stop now, because there's been no penalty for doing so, even now.

FunkMonk

Quote from: crazy canuck on November 06, 2020, 05:14:58 PM
@ Sheilbh Not just the 2024 primary though.  I think they will all worry about being primaried by Trumpists if they are disloyal now.

Yeah I think there is a large element of this. They are also all jockeying to inherit Trump's supporters. Being seen as a true Trump defender will help that effort. The real question for the future is will Trump supporters show up at the polls for anyone without "Trump" in their name.

I'd say there is a strong overlap between Trump supporters and people who raved for Sarah Palin, so my initial answer would be yes.
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Sheilbh

Quote from: crazy canuck on November 06, 2020, 05:14:58 PM
I think that's a risk - that the Trumps wreak revenge on RINOs who were insufficiently loyal/stabbed him in the back in 2022. But I think most Republicans recognise reality (I think Trump does) and would rather the cloud of controversy (which they're creating) to be on Biden coming into office not them trying to help Trump cling to it.

And unlike in 2008 - 2010 - they're in a position to block things so they can build a record of obstruction/standing up to Biden that will probably help deal with any primaries.

I think McConnell's comments are striking, McCarthy (one of Trump's favourite Congressional Republicans) has already walked back his claim that Trump won the election.
Let's bomb Russia!

Admiral Yi

Quote from: PJL on November 06, 2020, 05:41:09 PM
I think it's pretty obvious that Trump is going to do whatever it takes to steal the election now, after all, he always accuses his opponents of the same thing in whatever he's doing. And I'm sure the Republican party will fall into line anyway because they've done whatever they've can to game the system for at least a decade now. No reason why they should stop now, because there's been no penalty for doing so, even now.

"Falling in line" would essentially mean the state legislature declaring that the vote is fraudulent and choosing the state's electors themselves.  I'd be happy to bet you that will not happen.

crazy canuck

Quote from: merithyn on November 06, 2020, 05:12:54 PM
Cel and larchie? Either of you up for a on-paper-only wife so that I can get Spanish citizenship? :unsure: I'll buy us an apartment.

That is pretty smart.  Get me to adopt you and marry one of them.  All bases covered.