News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

US Election Week 2020

Started by Barrister, November 03, 2020, 01:17:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sheilbh

Quote from: FunkMonk on November 04, 2020, 07:24:22 AM
All pollsters to be fired immediately. Fire all pollsters.
Agreed - I know others disagree but I think there was a polling failure in 2016 and there's been another now. The industry needs to properly work out what went wrong.
Let's bomb Russia!

Josquius

Michigan is looking good. 11% left and 0.6% in it.

Come on black ladies!
██████
██████
██████

Josephus

Quote from: alfred russel on November 04, 2020, 07:15:52 AM
There was some talk on the future of the GOP and bringing latinos into the fold. It may be happening already--exit polls are not perfect, but there is a county that is 96% hispanic - Starr County Texas.

In 2016, it voted for Clinton 79% and Trump 19%.

In 2020, it voted for Biden 52% and Trump 47%.

That is a swing of R +55% in 4 years.

If the Republicans weren't running a candidate calling mexicans rapists and murderers, they might have even won the county.

Ithink Trump did well with Flordia Latinos as well.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

FunkMonk

Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

jimmy olsen

Florida passed a minimum wage hike to  $10.

This country is ripe for Strasserism.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

alfred russel

Quote from: Sheilbh on November 04, 2020, 07:35:04 AM

That's the way it is in the UK and I agree. But I think that's a legislative change you make ahead of a vote - I don't agree with the idea that you can challenge it in the courts after people have received their ballots. I might not like it but that was possibly the law when people cast their ballots and I feel like that should be respected.

Agree--once people have cast votes, the "remedy" of ignoring votes cast under the rules voters were told they were operating under is absurd.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Sheilbh

One other thought - how much will the experience of election night shape the narrative around Biden. Seeing lots of takes that are critical of Biden and the campaign etc and I wonder about it.

It looks to me like, of the remaining states, only NC is leaning to Trump. This might not happen but if Biden won Pennsylvania, Michigan, Wisconsin, Arizona, Georgia and Nevada in normal election time would Biden be getting criticised for his campaign or would Dems be happy (even if it was similarly close)?
Let's bomb Russia!

DGuller

Biden up to 80% on PredictIt.  I have to eat a humble pie here; I kept trashing PredictIt, but it seemed to have a better evaluation of the race all along compared to 538.  It seemed to indicate it was a 50/50 race or thereabout all along, and that was probably closer to the mark than 90/10. :bleeding: Clearly polls have missed something in a big way this year, much more so than they did in 2016.

alfred russel

Quote from: Josephus on November 04, 2020, 07:37:37 AM
Quote from: alfred russel on November 04, 2020, 07:15:52 AM
There was some talk on the future of the GOP and bringing latinos into the fold. It may be happening already--exit polls are not perfect, but there is a county that is 96% hispanic - Starr County Texas.

In 2016, it voted for Clinton 79% and Trump 19%.

In 2020, it voted for Biden 52% and Trump 47%.

That is a swing of R +55% in 4 years.

If the Republicans weren't running a candidate calling mexicans rapists and murderers, they might have even won the county.

Ithink Trump did well with Flordia Latinos as well.

One other point on the voters of Starr Texas.

Apparently 55% of them saw Trump in 2016 and said, "no thanks to president trump". But after seeing the job he did for 4 years, decided, "yes, we want more of this, we were wrong about him before, and he deserves a second term."

Latinos are demonstrating that they are quickly assimilating into the American voter culture of extreme stupidity and irrationality. These guys are going to fit in!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Admiral Yi

Quote from: alfred russel on November 04, 2020, 07:27:19 AM
But something I agree with Republicans on is that ballots should be received by election day to be counted. What a mess it could be in a truly close election to have ballots floating around unsecured, and ambiguity on when they were put into the system. Plus everyone is on pins and needles for days. Get the ballots out to voters with plenty of time for them to return them, and from there it is on the voter.

After you put it in the mail box the amount of time it takes to get to the counters is out of your hands.  I think a post mark deadline, which is what Iowa does, is perfect.

Tamas

Quote from: Sheilbh on November 04, 2020, 07:53:15 AM
One other thought - how much will the experience of election night shape the narrative around Biden. Seeing lots of takes that are critical of Biden and the campaign etc and I wonder about it.

It looks to me like, of the remaining states, only NC is leaning to Trump. This might not happen but if Biden won Pennsylvania, Michigan, Wisconsin, Arizona, Georgia and Nevada in normal election time would Biden be getting criticised for his campaign or would Dems be happy (even if it was similarly close)?

If he wins it'll be alright. If he loses a scapegoat will need to be found, because obviously it cannot just be that half of the country is so shitty that they are genuinely quite ok with the likes of Trump leading them.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Tamas on November 04, 2020, 07:56:45 AM
If he loses a scapegoat will need to be found

Jewish retirees in Miami. :contract:

garbon

Quote from: Tamas on November 04, 2020, 07:56:45 AM
Quote from: Sheilbh on November 04, 2020, 07:53:15 AM

If he wins it'll be alright. If he loses a scapegoat will need to be found, because obviously it cannot just be that half of the country is so shitty that they are genuinely quite ok with the likes of Trump leading them.

Yep. We would then hear endless of how he was a terrible candidate. Should have gone with Bernie!
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Josquius

With the Latinos in Florida wasn't it the single issue of trump rolling back Obamas detente with Cuba that did it?

Though will say my partner has a relative in florida. Immigrant, son of immigrants to elsewhere, who is married to a central American immigrant...and they are on board the Trumptardo train.
██████
██████
██████

Tamas

Quote from: Tyr on November 04, 2020, 07:59:24 AM
With the Latinos in Florida wasn't it the single issue of trump rolling back Obamas detente with Cuba that did it?

Though will say my partner has a relative in florida. Immigrant, son of immigrants to elsewhere, who is married to a central American immigrant...and they are on board the Trumptardo train.

I think you guys are being a bit racist here, unable to look past colour of skin and how Trump is glad when white supremacists cheer his clown act on.

Having a non-white skin does not predestinate you of being rid of the same, let's say "conservative" "religious" views that prompt white folk to vote for Trump apparently. ESPECIALLY if you are from an immigrant background then there are good odds you come from a culture/family background where openness toward progressive ideas is lukewarm at best.

It's culture, not race, stop being fixated on race it's not becoming of you.