News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

NAS

Started by Maladict, July 27, 2020, 11:25:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maladict

Toying with the idea of getting a NAS as a media hub. My current backup HDDs are full so I need something new/extra anyway.

Any advice/tips?

Tamas

How do these USB slots on routers work? I have never tried them but wouldn't they be enough for your home network?

Maladict

Quote from: Tamas on July 28, 2020, 02:54:09 AM
How do these USB slots on routers work? I have never tried them but wouldn't they be enough for your home network?

Mine doesn't actually have any, but I'm assuming multiple users streaming video from multiple HDDs through the router is not what is was designed to do.
Regardless, I can't replace mine since it is owned by the ISP.

Ordered a NAS with 2x4TB in RAID 1. That should solve my storage and backup problem for a while.

viper37

Quote from: Maladict on July 29, 2020, 03:07:39 AM
Quote from: Tamas on July 28, 2020, 02:54:09 AM

Mine doesn't actually have any, but I'm assuming multiple users streaming video from multiple HDDs through the router is not what is was designed to do.
Regardless, I can't replace mine since it is owned by the ISP.

Ordered a NAS with 2x4TB in RAID 1. That should solve my storage and backup problem for a while.

I built mine as a PC server.   Used it for the company, as well as my personal use.  Had to install Windows Server for the company, but any Linux distro would do fine.  More flexibility, easier of use.  You can use it to send remote command to download torrents, or use a software like Jdownloader.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

HisMajestyBOB

I built a simple one using a Raspberry Pi 4, two 2TB drives set up as a RAID, and Nextcloud for the software. I mainly use it to share access to files, not for media streaming. It's probably too low-powered for that. But for storage purposes it works well.
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

Napoleon XIV

Quote from: Maladict on July 27, 2020, 11:25:47 AM
Toying with the idea of getting a NAS as a media hub. My current backup HDDs are full so I need something new/extra anyway.

Any advice/tips?

Synology has a bunch of ready-made NAS boxes that are pretty simple and should do anything you need.  I've been running a Synology DS212j in my office for about 8 years now with no issues (well, until yesterday, but no harm done other than causing irritation for a day).

Another way to go might be to build or otherwise obtain a low power mini-pc and loading something like Unraid on it.  I keep hearing that it can allegedly work as a server for nearly any purpose.  For my part, I'm thinking about rolling my own NAS running FreeNAS, you know, when I've got some free time or the little Synology decides to die finally.
Buy Webhosting!
Get your taxes done!

Barrister

Quote from: Napoleon XIV on September 11, 2020, 08:10:22 PM
Quote from: Maladict on July 27, 2020, 11:25:47 AM

Any advice/tips?

Synology has a bunch of ready-made NAS boxes that are pretty simple and should do anything you need.  I've been running a Synology DS212j in my office for about 8 years now with no issues (well, until yesterday, but no harm done other than causing irritation for a day).

Another way to go might be to build or otherwise obtain a low power mini-pc and loading something like Unraid on it.  I keep hearing that it can allegedly work as a server for nearly any purpose.  For my part, I'm thinking about rolling my own NAS running FreeNAS, you know, when I've got some free time or the little Synology decides to die finally.

Holy crap!

Whats up Nappy? :hug:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Napoleon XIV

Been keeping busy!  The little business (CPA-Lawyer stuff) I started back in 2012 has grown a lot.  I think I've got, like, 250 unique clients now.  In other words, it's bigger than the webhosting thing...

How about you?  I saw from one of the other threads that you're married and have kids.  Congrats!
Buy Webhosting!
Get your taxes done!

DontSayBanana

Quote from: Napoleon XIV on September 12, 2020, 04:42:19 PM
Been keeping busy!  The little business (CPA-Lawyer stuff) I started back in 2012 has grown a lot.  I think I've got, like, 250 unique clients now.  In other words, it's bigger than the webhosting thing...

How about you?  I saw from one of the other threads that you're married and have kids.  Congrats!

Holy cow...

QuoteNapoleon XIV

Now that's a name I've not heard in a long time...

Been a while since our Order of the Red Star days, man- good to see you! Er... from the artist formerly known as Captain Carrot, that is. Been a nick change or two since then.
Experience bij!

DontSayBanana

Actually, got one that's on-topic for this thread...

Anybody had any experience running VMs from a Synology? I'm getting too old to deal with hardware for a homelab, so I'm thinking of taking something like a DS218+ and lobbing a few server roles into VMs on it like a Samba4 AD domain controller and maybe a piHole and/or some tweakable DNS to blackhole everything from advertising CDNs...
Experience bij!

Barrister

Quote from: Napoleon XIV on September 12, 2020, 04:42:19 PM

How long have you been gone?  Married 16 years, a dad for 10 (now of 3 boys).  Enjoying the hockey dad lifestyle as just spent a day where I was on the ice for 8 hours doing hockey evaluations.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Napoleon XIV

A while.  So I re-registered my account here in 2009 and then apparently popped up in 2013 to post in Mono's investing thread about stock dividends or some such.  But mostly I've forgotten things.  I do remember you being an attorney over in Alberta though.  But anyway, all new (again!) to me, so congrats!  :hug:

One thing I didn't forget; incidentally, is CdM.  Saw how he rage quit.  Shame, but it seemed like he was... different and angrier generally.  Hope he's okay however he landed.

Quote from: DontSayBanana on September 12, 2020, 10:47:53 PM
Holy cow...

QuoteNapoleon XIV

Now that's a name I've not heard in a long time...

Been a while since our Order of the Red Star days, man- good to see you! Er... from the artist formerly known as Captain Carrot, that is. Been a nick change or two since then.

I haven't thought about Order of the Red Star in years.  I think CoD or BF beat us to the topic anyhow.  I think I still own the domain name though.  So... wanna make a game?   ;)
Buy Webhosting!
Get your taxes done!

Darth Wagtaros

I have a Synology. It is great. 

Just stay away from Drobo.
PDH!