News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Chrome searching bing?

Started by Josquius, September 02, 2020, 04:28:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josquius

I'm getting a weird niggling problem with chrome lately. It has started searching bing sometimes (not always) when I search in the address bar.

It is definitely searching regular bing, not a dodgy hijack engine. I've done full virus scans with malware bites, even a boot virus scan with avast and nothing.
Bing is also nowhere to be seen on my search settings. Google should be my default.
I've even checked the registry and no modifications to my chrome settings.

Anyone else encountered this and any idea what it could possibly be and how to set it right?
██████
██████
██████

Threviel

I had an adblocker plugin do something very similar. Check your addons.

Josquius

hmm....that could be something, ublock does sometimes throw up warnings about advertising.
██████
██████
██████

Threviel

It might have been ublock now that you mention it, I was trying different adblockers.

viper37

Quote from: Tyr on September 02, 2020, 04:28:27 AM
I'm getting a weird niggling problem with chrome lately. It has started searching bing sometimes (not always) when I search in the address bar.

It is definitely searching regular bing, not a dodgy hijack engine. I've done full virus scans with malware bites, even a boot virus scan with avast and nothing.
Bing is also nowhere to be seen on my search settings. Google should be my default.
I've even checked the registry and no modifications to my chrome settings.

Anyone else encountered this and any idea what it could possibly be and how to set it right?

there are many softwares that restores your search engine to its default, even if there were no hijacks.

but first, have you tried this?
https://support.google.com/chrome/answer/95426?co=GENIE.Platform%3DDesktop&hl=en
change your search engine to something else (say Yahoo).approve of the changes and go back to using Chrome and searching from the adress bar.If it works using Yahoo, go back to your settings and make Google the default one.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.