News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Ruth Bader Ginsburg has died.

Started by Oexmelin, September 18, 2020, 06:36:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Larch

Quote from: celedhring on September 27, 2020, 01:59:21 PM
Fair enough, didn't know RBG had long been associated with that picture. Thought it just popped up all of a sudden after she died.

IIRC it started out several years ago through a tumblr page that some law students that were fans of her created.

Sheilbh

Quote from: The Larch on September 27, 2020, 01:56:01 PM
As Beeb said, Ginsburg had, in her later years, an online meme going on that renamed her as "The Notorious R.B.G.", playing on her assumed badassness as a judge. You can find tons of stuff online about that, mostly her picture with the photoshopped crown, but it has been used for books, exhibitions and other more "serious" uses. Apparently Gisnburg enjoyed it and said she was ok with it because after all The Notorious B.I.G. and her were both from Brooklyn.

In this case, the Republicans simply took that and copy/pasted it for the new judge, who also happens to be known by a three word name.
One of the weirdest and maybe actually consequential trends is people stanning politicians/judges/political figures. It's so weird. Probably just another symptom of the internet becoming the real world.
Let's bomb Russia!

celedhring

Yeah, when it first happened I thought it was quite cool that people started fanboing about people that had consequential jobs and lives instead of footballers or whatever, but I think I might have been a bit wrong on that one...  :hmm:

The Larch

Quote from: Sheilbh on September 27, 2020, 03:33:50 PM
Quote from: The Larch on September 27, 2020, 01:56:01 PM
As Beeb said, Ginsburg had, in her later years, an online meme going on that renamed her as "The Notorious R.B.G.", playing on her assumed badassness as a judge. You can find tons of stuff online about that, mostly her picture with the photoshopped crown, but it has been used for books, exhibitions and other more "serious" uses. Apparently Gisnburg enjoyed it and said she was ok with it because after all The Notorious B.I.G. and her were both from Brooklyn.

In this case, the Republicans simply took that and copy/pasted it for the new judge, who also happens to be known by a three word name.
One of the weirdest and maybe actually consequential trends is people stanning politicians/judges/political figures. It's so weird. Probably just another symptom of the internet becoming the real world.

I mean, she had her own impersonation on SNL, and appeared in late shows (she once did her workout routine with Stephen Colbert, for instance). I don't think many Supreme Court Justices have done that.

Sheilbh

Quote from: The Larch on September 27, 2020, 03:44:59 PM
I mean, she had her own impersonation on SNL, and appeared in late shows (she once did her workout routine with Stephen Colbert, for instance). I don't think many Supreme Court Justices have done that.
Maybe Scalia?

I just find it weird seeing politicians and judges etc moving from people you agree or disagree with to people you are fans of - like Neymar, Messi and Ronaldo.
Let's bomb Russia!

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Admiral Yi

Yeah, politicians have always had cults of personality.

FunkMonk

"The Notorious RBG" is probably the most popular figure in the history of ever among white liberal American women.

"Notorious ACB" is a deliberate thumbing of the nose at these people.
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.