News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Homebuying Questions

Started by merithyn, August 25, 2020, 05:17:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Malthus

Reminds me of my in-hindsight-hilarious series of house viewings before we bought ours. Each one was a different horror show, with retrospective nicknames to match.

There was cigarette house, the cliff house, the Boo Radley house (that one was just effing wierd) ...

Every time we found a place that wasn't horrible, we would put in a bid ... and get hammered in a bidding war by someone bidding a tens of thousands more than us. It was very discouraging. 

That was buying in Toronto, notoriously a tough market for buyers. Hopefully your experience won't be as painful!
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

merithyn

The area I'm looking at isn't anywhere near that kind of "hot market". :lol:
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

ulmont

Hamilcar

katmai

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Barrister

Quote from: Admiral Yi on August 25, 2020, 10:53:20 PM
Quote from: Barrister on August 25, 2020, 10:41:04 PM
Of course go in with an agent.

Why of course?  What are you getting for 6% of the sale price?

Commission is paid by the seller, not the purchaser.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Barrister

Quote from: merithyn on August 25, 2020, 10:54:09 PM
For the record, I'm looking at moving to a place I know with friends in the city. So I'm not going into a place blind. I know the area well enough, so while I could rent for a year, I'd rather not. It may be stupid, but I've wanted my own house for a very long time. I just want to see what my options are. I didn't know if the pre-approval process is a good indicator, or if it would be a mark against my credit, making things harder later.

Friends in the city are not you.  They may well have different interests than you do.

One year from now will happen very soon.  I well appreciate you'd rather not rent for a year.  Nevertheless, it's the smarter decision.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Richard Hakluyt

How much time are you likely to live in the house? If it is a long time then really liking the house is a high priority; if it is for a short time then the ability to sell it on quickly is important.

Hamilcar

Maladict

Where in Spain are you looking to buy a house?

Malthus

Quote from: merithyn on August 25, 2020, 11:27:18 PM
The area I'm looking at isn't anywhere near that kind of "hot market". :lol:

Be thankful. That was a very unpleasant experience.  Renting an apartment without clothes washing facilities, about to have a baby in the family, and trying to buy a house before the baby shows up ... in a market where ferocious bidding wars were the norm ... did not make for serenity. 😄
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

merithyn

Quote from: Maladict on August 26, 2020, 03:25:52 AM
Where in Spain are you looking to buy a house?

That's opened up a little. I was looking near Barcelona - and that's still my preferred area - but I've also looked further north, up on the coast north of Madrid. But that's a second house. :) For later. Right now, I'm looking in the US for a permanent home here.

merithyn

merithyn

Quote from: Barrister on August 26, 2020, 01:28:45 AM
Quote from: merithyn on August 25, 2020, 10:54:09 PM
For the record, I'm looking at moving to a place I know with friends in the city. So I'm not going into a place blind. I know the area well enough, so while I could rent for a year, I'd rather not. It may be stupid, but I've wanted my own house for a very long time. I just want to see what my options are. I didn't know if the pre-approval process is a good indicator, or if it would be a mark against my credit, making things harder later.

Friends in the city are not you.  They may well have different interests than you do.

One year from now will happen very soon.  I well appreciate you'd rather not rent for a year.  Nevertheless, it's the smarter decision.

Again, I'm looking at my options. :) It may well be that a lender suggests that, too, for other reasons. I just wanted to know what impact asking for a pre-approval might have.

Sheilbh

So weird to see estate agents talked about as a valued professional :mellow: :hmm:

I assume they are different in North America.

I've never bought so have nothing of value to offer, but one thing I know from friends and family is always insist on a full survey :ph34r:
Let's bomb Russia!