News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Spain on video - how close to reality?

Started by merithyn, August 05, 2020, 08:19:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

merithyn

Larch turned me on to some videos from a New Zealander and his Spanish wife talking about Spain. This is important to me, as I'm looking at spending more time in Spain once the world opens back up.

I'm totally loving the videos! Some of it I remember from my limited visit, but a lot of it is totally new to me. I'm fairly sure that I was a bit insulting on a few occasions (celedhring??) given what they're saying. So I'm wondering, how "real" this is? Is this just the Madrid way? Is this just a Yolie's friends and family way? This one in particular kind of threw me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sOCmLG1m8pM

Also, I'm fairly sure that it's going to take some time before I'm not considered "pasado".  :blush:
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Iormlund

We are a lot more open to contact than northerners. And this north-south gradient is also pretty noticeable within Spain itself.

It's also true that Spain is fairly noisy. And immigration has turned it to eleven. Personally I hate it. It's the reason why I'm planning to move (COVID permitting).

As an American, and especially one with Latino upbringing, I would guess these things should not shock as much as they would a Swede or a Kiwi.

The Larch

Glad to know that you're enjoying them.  :lol: They are quite charming and I do enjoy watching their stuff, so I'm happy to hear that they're being useful to you.

About the culture shocks, overall I'd say that they are mostly correct but I'd disagree with them in a couple of points. For instance, all the "plans are made spontaneously on the day itself" thing is, in my experience, more of a thing in smaller places or during holidays, when I lived in Madrid if I wanted to do something that gathered more than a couple people I'd need to plan a week or two in advance, otherwise it'd be impossible to arrange agendas or agree on anything. That being said, what they mention of not planning things too long in advance is also true, although I'd caveat it with that also depending on the scale of the plan. It'd also be useful to take the north-south divide within Spain that Iorm mentioned into account.

celedhring

The personal space/touching thing I remember being quite hard for me when I moved in the US. I mean, I was perfectly aware of the difference, but I had to check myself and restrain from hugging/grabbing people and shit. Useful training for Covid though  :rolleyes:

Regarding the "making plans" thing. If it's something like "hey, let's meet for some beers" yes that can happen on the day, and that's the case often for me. More complicated stuff requires planning in advance.

Iormlund

It also depends a lot on your age. As soon as kids show up it's going to be much, much harder to do anything with your mates without prior planning (and the appropiate form signed by your wife).

celedhring

Watching as I write. I too own winter and summer slippers for being at home.  :lol:

The Larch

I do have winter and summer slippers as well.  :lol:

Tamas

I also have summer and winter slippers in England. :P

celedhring

Is the "absolutely don't wear footwear at home" an anglosaxon thing?

Sheilbh

Quote from: celedhring on August 06, 2020, 05:22:42 AM
We have slippers - they're quite an old person thing though.

But I'm normally not in footwear at home, just socks. But I get extra thick slipper socks for the winter.
Let's bomb Russia!

Tamas

Yeah TBF the summer ones almost never get to be worn. :)

celedhring

Then it's a New Zealand thing I guess  :lol:

The Larch

Quote from: celedhring on August 06, 2020, 05:22:42 AM

Maybe it's an Aussie/Kiwi thing?

My winter slippers are actually thick padded socks, but when I lived at my parents' I did have "proper" winter and summer slippers.

Sheilbh

I feel like Aussies need slippers more than most due to the constant threat of poisonous spiders/snakes in that country. New Zealand can afford to be relaxed about it.
Let's bomb Russia!

garbon

I think I might own a pair of slippers? Generally though just barefeet unless going out on balcony and I'll wear flip-flops.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.