News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Real problem with cancel culture

Started by viper37, July 12, 2020, 10:24:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sheilbh

Quote from: garbon on June 20, 2022, 08:20:09 AMNot sure how that explains continued reverence for Trump. He accomplished little but attachment remains.
It doesn't and he's not an outsider now. But I just mean it's an environment where candidates like Trump seem more likely to succeed.

Although I think the thing about a direct personal relation with supporters is possibly key. It's not just Trump because I've felt the same with Corbyn supporters in the UK (and there may be other examples too) but it feels like a lot of his supporters are fans (or stans). It seems closer to internet sports and celebrity culture than traditional politics where that candidate has a meaning to you as a person that is almost detached from their politics or their ability to deliver on them. Similarly attacking that politician is felt more personally by their fans than attacking a traditional politician or party is felt by their supporters.

And there's something slightly un-democratic about that because politics is ultimately about persuasion and argument and sometimes your side loses. While I think the fan style people aren't interested in that, they're not about persuasion - the rest of us just don't 'get it'.
Let's bomb Russia!