News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Real problem with cancel culture

Started by viper37, July 12, 2020, 10:24:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DGuller

I think the solution is to fear cancel culture more than to fear wrongthink.  Companies should be boycotted for having spineless managers wrongfully terminate employees, not for employing wrongthinking employees.  I don't know how that can be achieved except through mass enlightenment. 

Fundamentally I think what's behind the cancel culture is the desire for some people to be bullies, and the need to find socially-acceptable targets for bullying.  Sex offenders used to be the favorite punching bag, but Twitter expanded the list of acceptable bullying victims.  If we recognize the cancel culture for that it really is, then maybe that would be the first step towards dismantling it.

Sheilbh

Out of interest just because I've always had boycotts on the run (some I've inherited for obscure reasons), do you guys never boycott companies? :mellow:
Let's bomb Russia!

Tonitrus

I've been trying to boycott Zoom (because of their recent handling of the Tiananmen protestor meetings)...but official requirements for its use keep popping up.  :mad:

The Brain

Quote from: Sheilbh on July 17, 2020, 12:49:47 PM
Out of interest just because I've always had boycotts on the run (some I've inherited for obscure reasons), do you guys never boycott companies? :mellow:

I have been boycotting Burger King for years. If I'm in a group and the group decides to go to BK I will come along (I don't remember if this has ever happened though), but I never go there on my own initiative.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Barrister

I boycott Petro-Canada wherever I can because I thought it was stupid for Canada to have a state-owned oil company.  Even though it was partially privatized by 1991, the government still owed a 19% stake, which I still thought it was ridiculous.

Mind you the government sold off the last of its Petro-Canada in 2004 and I still avoid the company as best I can. :mellow:

Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Berkut

Quote from: DGuller on July 17, 2020, 12:47:25 PM

Fundamentally I think what's behind the cancel culture is the desire for some people to be bullies, and the need to find socially-acceptable targets for bullying.  Sex offenders used to be the favorite punching bag, but Twitter expanded the list of acceptable bullying victims.  If we recognize the cancel culture for that it really is, then maybe that would be the first step towards dismantling it.

I think this is exactly right.

The problem is that well meaning progressives defend the assholes because they happen to be politically aligned, and their targets are usually targets they don't like.

But the *goal* of the mob is to satiate the mob, not achieve anything.

It's like bitching about how looters are screwing up BLM protests. "Don't they know how that looks for their cause!".

The cause of looters is looting. They could not give a shit about the cause.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Razgovory

Boycott Chick-fil-a.  Anti-gay stuff.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Zoupa

I boycott A LOT.

Grey Fox

I avoid has much as I can the former state-owned companies. Bell, Petro-Canada, Air Canada are the main 3.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Razgovory on July 17, 2020, 05:54:30 PM

Boycott Chick-fil-a.  Anti-gay stuff.

Me too, but only on Sunday.   :sleep:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: DGuller on July 17, 2020, 12:47:25 PM
  Companies should be boycotted for having spineless managers wrongfully terminate employees, not for employing wrongthinking employees. 

That's not really practical though since most food and necessary consumer goods are made by companies.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Oexmelin

Quote from: Grey Fox on July 17, 2020, 06:06:11 PM
I avoid has much as I can the former state-owned companies. Bell, Petro-Canada, Air Canada are the main 3.

Bell was never state-owned, afaik.
Que le grand cric me croque !

Admiral Yi

I boycott any show or movie with Keifer Sutherland or Charlie Sheen in it.

Exception for Lost Boys.

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 17, 2020, 07:35:05 PM
I boycott any show or movie with Keifer Sutherland or Charlie Sheen in it.

Exception for Lost Boys.

Emo vampires good, greedy stockbrokers bad?  :hmm:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?