News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Simulation Hypothesis

Started by Caliga, July 20, 2009, 10:41:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Which of the following statements are most likely to be true?

Almost no civilization will reach a level of technological maturity capable of producing simulated realities.
4 (30.8%)
Almost no civilization reaching aforementioned technological status will produce a simulated reality, for any of a number of reasons, such as diversion of computational processing power for other tasks, ethical considerations of holding entities captive i
5 (38.5%)
Almost all entities with our general set of experiences are living in a simulation.
4 (30.8%)

Total Members Voted: 13

PDH

Actually, if the civilization is powerful enough to create a simulation of everything and run it, I doubt that hardware would be a limitation.  The limitation is somehow simulating everything...THAT is what makes it goofy.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Neil

Quote from: PDH on July 20, 2009, 11:10:26 AM
Actually, if the civilization is powerful enough to create a simulation of everything and run it, I doubt that hardware would be a limitation.  The limitation is somehow simulating everything...THAT is what makes it goofy.
It might be feasible, but once you start nesting them, your requirements start increasing by orders of magnitude.  Of course, if you cheat and treat most objects as solid, then you can save yourself some processing power, but that doesn't describe the world we live in.

Besides, we can be pretty wasteful with processing power, but not on that scale.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

DontSayBanana

Interesting. I've seen a similar theory running around about dropping matter into a black hole in a near-laboratory environment creating microuniverses, with the net result that we end up with nested sub-universes and microorganisms, rather than nested simulations and simulacra.
Experience bij!

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Siege

I've been talking about this for years.

Are You Living In A Computer Simulation?  http://www.simulation-argument.com/classic.html

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Neil

Quote from: Siege on July 20, 2009, 12:19:48 PM

Are You Living In A Computer Simulation?  http://www.simulation-argument.com/classic.html
And you're wrong to do so.  You just use that as an excuse to escape the moral responsibility for your crimes.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Siege

Quote from: Barrister on July 20, 2009, 10:56:21 AM
Where's the "Who Gives A Fuck" answer?

If you can create a simulated reality that is absolutely indistinguishable from reality it is, well, real.

Of course. It changes nothing.

Also, it doesn't have to be indistinguishable from reality, because the sims don't have that reference point, since they/we have always lived in a similation.

Siege

Quote from: Neil on July 20, 2009, 12:22:10 PM

And you're wrong to do so.  You just use that as an excuse to escape the moral responsibility for your crimes.

What crimes?

My councious is completely clean.
My targets have all been terrorists, terrorists in the making, or terrorist factories.
I have no moral conflict.

Its funny how you always think that you can read my subcouncious.

Neil

Quote from: Siege on July 20, 2009, 12:27:50 PM
Quote from: Neil on July 20, 2009, 12:22:10 PM

What crimes?

My councious is completely clean.
My targets have all been terrorists, terrorists in the making, or terrorist factories.
I have no moral conflict.

Its funny how you always think that you can read my subcouncious.
Your crimes are rape and murder.

Being a religious nutjob isn't a crime, although it should be.

Caliga

LOL is Seige a: kill switch!
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Caliga

Quote from: Neil on July 20, 2009, 12:29:17 PM

Perhaps in his religious zealotry he recognizes that this simulation has an operator, something that you've failed to do? :zen:

Neil

Quote from: Caliga on July 20, 2009, 12:30:40 PM
Quote from: Neil on July 20, 2009, 12:29:17 PM

Perhaps in his religious zealotry he recognizes that this simulation has an operator, something that you've failed to do? :zen:
There is no simulation.

Moreover, why would an operator of a simulation be worthy of worship in any event?

Caliga

Caliga

Quote from: Neil on July 20, 2009, 12:36:02 PMMoreover, why would an operator of a simulation be worthy of worship in any event?
Who says he would be?  Maybe he never asked to be worshipped, but some people somehow intuited his existence and do it anyway, and he finds it amusing/flattering so he does nothing to intervene.

Neil

Thank you for proving my point:  Homos who have watched the Matrix too many times.