Chris Avellone accused of sexual misconduct by multiple women

Started by Syt, June 23, 2020, 09:59:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tamas

I think that's an excellent summary, Syt.

It really is ugly. Even though I spend some serious amount of my life playing games, computer and otherwise, I would object to being called a gamer and would actively discourage people from labelling me as such, mostly because of this prevalent toxic BS.

viper37

Quote from: FunkMonk on July 06, 2020, 04:45:45 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on July 06, 2020, 11:49:38 AM
Why is gamer culture so psychotic?  Actually the idea of a "gamer culture" is pretty weird to me. I'm old enough to remember video games as being primary for children and nerds.  Not cool. "Gamer culture" sound like its one step above "chronic masturbate culture" to my ears.

Still, why is it so toxic?

White males.
:mellow:
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: Tamas on July 06, 2020, 04:48:35 PM
It really is ugly. Even though I spend some serious amount of my life playing games, computer and otherwise, I would object to being called a gamer and would actively discourage people from labelling me as such, mostly because of this prevalent toxic BS.
I don't mind being a call a gamer.  The actions of other do not really concern me.  I mean, I like modded games.  What's the first mod coming out for any RPG or action-rpg?  Make the female characters appear naked.  That's the top one of the list for months after release.  I'm not using it.  Why would I care that some idiot will jerk off in front of his computer screen to some pixelated animation?

I am a gamer because I like video games.  I don't much like MP at this point, it's too complicated for my life to find dedicated time to play this.  But I know it's a totally different world.  And I rarely interact with gaming communities, I know they can be as toxic as social medias.  Blacks, Asians, Whites, Arabs, Russians, Hungarians, it's all the same.  Some people derive some kind of power from abusing people (see: Trump) and from that power they get gratification in the form of adulation by many (see: Trump).  You will that in the gaming industry, in the enterntainment industry, in the construction industry, in the engineering industry, in the legal industry, in the insurance industry, in any kind of industry.

The difference being that for now, the entertainment industry and gaming industry are the far west.  A lot will be tolerated because there seems to be no rules.  It's not like Weinstein was a philantropist helping young ladies achieve their true potential as actresses.  His behaviour was known for years and everyone kept their mouth shut. As open homosexuals and lesbians are much more frequent nowadays, we begin to hear stories about them too.  I find the gangsta rap culture to be highly toxic, especially degrading for women, but they seem to get off at being called "'ho's" and "bitches".

Everywhere there is power, there is temptation.  Race, gender, sexuality, it does not even matter, we're all humans, we're all subjects to the same behavioral faults.  No amount of education is going to change that, but it doesn't hurt to lead by example for the next generation and warn them of the possible dangers.  Some people, especially young women seem to be awfully naive.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Razgovory

I don't really play online games much anymore.  I got tired of racial and homohobic slurs.  And, no I wouldn't want to be associated with gamer culture.  The problem isn't nude mods, the problem is the psychotic death threats, casual racism, not-so-casual racism, sexism, SWATting and other disturbing behavior.

I think a great deal of it comes from being the anonymity of the internet.  Without the penalty of social sanction people reveal who they are.  Some people get a thrilled from doing forbidden things, like screaming racist slurs, but the sad truth is that many people are simply bad people.

I think that many people who seek out escapist power fantasies feel powerless in real life.  The lack of power engenders bitterness, anger and hatred.  Many of these people are white men and when they see someone talking about social justice and taking power from white men they come to believe that this is the reason why they are powerless and ineffectual.  "Social Justice Warriors", took away their power.  That's why nobody respects them, or why they have a shit job, or why their girlfriend broke up with them.  And now they have something to direct all that bitterness, anger and hatred at.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Tamas

Why is gamer culture so psychotic?  Actually the idea of a "gamer culture" is pretty weird to me. I'm old enough to remember video games as being primary for children and nerds.  Not cool. "Gamer culture" sound like its one step above "chronic masturbate culture" to my ears.

White males.

Is it a cultural or genetical aspect that makes mysogony an exclusively white male attribute?

Tonitrus

White males.

Humans.

Syt

White males seem to be much more prevalent among the toxic gamer crowd than other groups, though.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Tamas

Quote from: Syt on July 08, 2020, 05:02:13 AM
White males seem to be much more prevalent among the toxic gamer crowd than other groups, though.

1. You can't know somebody's skin colour over Internet comments
2. White people are the majority in the English speaking world, and given the toxic misogynistic environment, it is little surprise females barely attend.

I am sorry Syt I should not be saying this replying to you, your earlier analysis was spot on imho, I am just really riled by racist shit like that comment from bogh.

There is a world out there of honor killings, female genital mutilation, and other assorted cruelty of male dominance in the colourful patchwork of human cultures across the globe.. But no, source of misogynistic behavior is white skin!

Tonitrus

Don't white males make up most gamers in general?

I would note that I am not picking a fight or bucking for a huge disagreement.  I think your analysis was pretty good.

Tonitrus

I would tend to argue/agree with what I think Tamas is getting at.  Sure, white male gamers are showing themselves pretty well to be in the toxic category...but I don't think it is any less prevalent than one could find outside of gamer culture, or outside of "white males". 

But social media being what it is, those types will definitely get far more exposure and publicity than the everyday misogyny that goes on outside the internet.

garbon

Quote from: Tamas on July 08, 2020, 05:36:46 AM

1. You can't know somebody's skin colour over Internet comments
2. White people are the majority in the English speaking world, and given the toxic misogynistic environment, it is little surprise females barely attend.

I am sorry Syt I should not be saying this replying to you, your earlier analysis was spot on imho, I am just really riled by racist shit like that comment from bogh.

There is a world out there of honor killings, female genital mutilation, and other assorted cruelty of male dominance in the colourful patchwork of human cultures across the globe.. But no, source of misogynistic behavior is white skin!

Very odd because no one said that.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

Quote from: Tonitrus on July 08, 2020, 05:42:33 AM
I would tend to argue/agree with what I think Tamas is getting at.  Sure, white male gamers are showing themselves pretty well to be in the toxic category...but I don't think it is any less prevalent than one could find outside of gamer culture, or outside of "white males". 

But social media being what it is, those types will definitely get far more exposure and publicity than the everyday misogyny that goes on outside the internet.

This seems like a strange point to make given that per the press releases and the video that Syt linked, there is a lot of "everyday" misogyny that has been occurring from gamers/game makers outside the internet.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Tamas

Quote from: garbon on July 08, 2020, 06:02:07 AM
Quote from: Tonitrus on July 08, 2020, 05:42:33 AM

This seems like a strange point to make given that per the press releases and the video that Syt linked, there is a lot of "everyday" misogyny that has been occurring from gamers/game makers outside the internet.

As I specifically pointed out, I was reacting to bogh's casual racism that just solved the whole question with the explanation of "white males".

garbon

Do you mean that you chose to read a lot into FunkMonk's flippant comment?

Tamas

Apologies to bogh, I guess it was too early when I read the comment.

I didn't read anything into the comment that wasn't there. If you say those people behave the way they do because they are white males, it stands to reason that you imply they would not act this way if they were not white males.