Chris Avellone accused of sexual misconduct by multiple women

Started by Syt, June 23, 2020, 09:59:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

Quote from: HVC on June 25, 2020, 09:03:23 AM
Sleeping with groupies is bad now? I mean what position of power do you hold over someone who's a fan?

That would pretty much destroy the music industry.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

grumbler

Quote from: garbon on June 25, 2020, 11:34:42 AM
I've no issue with people losing their job over such actions. After all its down to the company to determine what image they want to promote and game designer isn't a low flunky position.

Agreed though that it is nothing akin to rape and wrong to still hint at an equivalency by bringing it up.

This is true (in an at-will employment situation), but I think that wise companies will think twice about firing employees for having sex on their own time with consenting adults, even if there are shrieks to do so.  Finding quality game designers is probably harder than waiting five minutes for the non-story to blow over.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Syt

It seems Dr Disrespect has been removed from Twitch. Twitch haven't said why, and the streamer only commented after a day that he hadn't been told the reason (normally you'd think they take to Twitter right away).

Apparently he was commenting about Coronavirus being caused by 5G masts, and advertised David Icke's theories, so it may be related?

Probably not an easy move on Twitch's behalf; they signed a 2 year exclusivity contract with him, so there's probably more legal tape than just banning the average streamer.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Syt

This week's Jim Sterling is worth a watch, even if you don't normally watch him (his usually flamboyant style is quite subdued this week).

A Truly Fucked Up Industry
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Solmyr

Quote from: Syt on June 29, 2020, 11:41:05 AM
This week's Jim Sterling is worth a watch, even if you don't normally watch him (his usually flamboyant style is quite subdued this week).

A Truly Fucked Up Industry

Indeed, it was worth watching (although Sterling is always worth watching).

garbon

https://www.kotaku.co.uk/2020/07/04/one-ubisoft-editorial-vp-resigns-while-another-is-placed-on-disciplinary-leave

QuoteOne Ubisoft Editorial VP Resigns While Another is Placed on Disciplinary Leave

Ubisoft Editorial VP Maxime Béland has resigned and fellow Editorial VP Tommy François has been placed on disciplinary leave, the company's CEO Yves Guillemot announced in a company email today while both are investigated for misconduct. It also stated that an employee from Ubisoft Toronto had been terminated.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Syt

Tweets Neil Druckman from NaughtyDog has gotten from "fans" who don't like Last of Us 2:

And Laura Bailey who voiced one of the characters:

—Stephen Jay Gould

The Larch

Gamers seem to truly be one of the most abhorrent communities of the internet.

Syt

Quote from: The Larch on July 06, 2020, 05:54:40 AM
Gamers seem to truly be one of the most abhorrent communities of the internet.

You get it with many fandoms. Star Wars/Trek have their share, for example.
—Stephen Jay Gould

celedhring

You have your "WHY SO MANY WOMEN IN MY STAR WARS" idiots, but the viciousness of shit like gamergate is truly unrivalled.

Syt

—Stephen Jay Gould

Sheilbh

Quote from: celedhring on July 06, 2020, 06:12:23 AM
You have your "WHY SO MANY WOMEN IN MY STAR WARS" idiots, but the viciousness of shit like gamergate is truly unrivalled.
Yeah. I'm an acquaintance with one of the women who were targeted in gamergate and it is just unbelievably toxic.
Let's bomb Russia!

Razgovory

Why is gamer culture so psychotic?  Actually the idea of a "gamer culture" is pretty weird to me. I'm old enough to remember video games as being primary for children and nerds.  Not cool. "Gamer culture" sound like its one step above "chronic masturbate culture" to my ears.

Still, why is it so toxic?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Syt

Quote from: Razgovory on July 06, 2020, 11:49:38 AM
Why is gamer culture so psychotic?  Actually the idea of a "gamer culture" is pretty weird to me. I'm old enough to remember video games as being primary for children and nerds.  Not cool. "Gamer culture" sound like its one step above "chronic masturbate culture" to my ears.

Games often offer some sort of power fantasy. Being the great athlete or the hero that saves the world or the general who wins the battle or the ruler who governs the empire. Or just live your dream life (The Sims).

For many this is a harmless diversion, a pleasant way to spend time. Or maybe a more serious hobby, where they take to some games, or genres and want to "master" them, like others take to reading, or knitting or whatever.

And then there appear a vocal number of people among gamers (hard to use the word without cringing these days) who appear to be mentally unstable. Not because of games, but I do believe that games become a focus point for some of them and feed that instability. People who get hooked on the power fantasies where they can be who they can't be in real life and get so fixated on them that they define their self-worth through those games and the communities. And if anything changes this "safe space" - by having more diverse casts in games or taking narrative choices that they don't agree with - they lash out.

That's my 2 cents, anyways.
—Stephen Jay Gould

FunkMonk

Quote from: Razgovory on July 06, 2020, 11:49:38 AM

White males.
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.