Chris Avellone accused of sexual misconduct by multiple women

Started by Syt, June 23, 2020, 09:59:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Iormlund

Quote from: Oexmelin on June 23, 2020, 10:32:11 AM
Similar accusations launched against Angry Joe - I think some people here followed him on youtube?

I don't really follow him, but I do watch his videos from time to time.

He plays genres/platforms I'm not that interested in, but his reviews seem genuine and are often entertaining (especially the bits with Other Joe). He does tend to interrupt his staff a lot, though, which I find annoying.

The Larch

Unrelated to that, but Cards Against humanity is also under fire recently:

QuoteFormer employees accuse Cards Against Humanity of a racist and sexist office culture
Co-founder Max Temkin has stepped down following these accusations

Habbaku

Quote from: The Larch on June 23, 2020, 07:26:44 PM
Unrelated to that, but Cards Against humanity is also under fire recently:

QuoteFormer employees accuse Cards Against Humanity of a racist and sexist office culture

Wow, you don't say. Who could have seen this coming. I am so shocked.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Caliga

0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Solmyr

Didn't Avellone have a drinking and drug problem as well?

At least he hasn't denied it and seems to be remorseful.

Tamas

Quote from: Solmyr on June 24, 2020, 03:35:38 AM
Didn't Avellone have a drinking and drug problem as well?

At least he hasn't denied it and seems to be remorseful.

What does being remorseful matter if he continues doing it?

Solmyr

Tamas

AssCreed's creative director has resigned. I am not sure if there's more to it, but it seems it was triggered by a female Twitter personality of sorts revealing that he is married and that she didn't know  as she was "with him for a year on and off" before finding out.

I guess revealing him as the manipulative scumbag that he is is a net positive but it feels childish to publicise what was basically an affair where one party lied about their life, and trying to latch it unto a growing upheaval over genuine sexual harassment cases.

garbon

Quote from: Tamas on June 25, 2020, 07:13:58 AM
AssCreed's creative director has resigned. I am not sure if there's more to it, but it seems it was triggered by a female Twitter personality of sorts revealing that he is married and that she didn't know  as she was "with him for a year on and off" before finding out.

I guess revealing him as the manipulative scumbag that he is is a net positive but it feels childish to publicise what was basically an affair where one party lied about their life, and trying to latch it unto a growing upheaval over genuine sexual harassment cases.

Looking at her twitter account, she says that she found out he had done this to multiple women and thus felt compelled to speak out.

And in her own words:
QuoteIf someone is routinely seeking out partners who are 8-18 years younger than them and fans of theirs, that person is seeking out people they can take advantage of. They are abusing their position of power.

It's not rape, but that does not make it okay.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

HVC

Sleeping with groupies is bad now? I mean what position of power do you hold over someone who's a fan?
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Tamas

Quote from: HVC on June 25, 2020, 09:03:23 AM
Sleeping with groupies is bad now? I mean what position of power do you hold over someone who's a fan?

Yeah this is not a good narrative unless you imply women are unable to control themselves around people they admire.

HVC

Half the reason most people become famous is to sleep with attractive people :D
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

HVC

Quote from: garbon on June 25, 2020, 10:15:15 AM
Quote from: HVC on June 25, 2020, 09:03:23 AM
Sleeping with groupies is bad now?

Hasn't it always been sleazy?

I mean sure, especially in the case of married people, but to use

QuoteIt's not rape, but that does not make it okay.

to intentionally connect the act with rape is a whole other thing. Plus to lose your job over it?

garbon

I've no issue with people losing their job over such actions. After all its down to the company to determine what image they want to promote and game designer isn't a low flunky position.

Agreed though that it is nothing akin to rape and wrong to still hint at an equivalency by bringing it up.