News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Star Wars: Squadrons

Started by Syt, June 12, 2020, 02:11:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

My last experience with 5v5 was Overwatch. Some of the teams with randos were great, most were meh, and some were unpleasant because someone left during the match (which you didn't to do because it incurs penalties), or sabotaged the team for the lulz, or was toxic. I generally don't like games where my enjoyment depends on others playing competently and not being assholes.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

katmai

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

katmai

Quote from: Tamas on June 15, 2020, 02:12:15 PM
Don't be such a nerd Syt, it is possible to have a good game without the B-Wing :P
diaf
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Sophie Scholl

B-Wing is for people not good enough to maximize the Y-Wing and who need a handicap.
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

Rex Francorum

I hope there is a solo skirmish mode with bots. Can't stand multi-player.

To rent

Syt

Gameplay trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nCcfJ9uEwvs

I admit, I liked seeing Hera Syndulla from Rebels and Admiral Rae Sloane (the military leader of the Empire during the Aftermath trilogy, during which this game seems to be set).

One thing that kinda annoys me is how colorful space has become. Battles take place in asteroid fields and debris fields, there's colorful nebulae and dust clouds, and some battles seem to be near or in atmosphere ... I understand that you want to add "terrain" for gameplay reasons, and that you want to make the scenarios visually interesting, but I really miss the days when space was, for the most part, a black void. :(
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Syt

—Stephen Jay Gould

FunkMonk

I want to troll people by disabling their ships with ion cannons and then just flying circles around their ship while they look on helplessly.  :nelson:
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

FunkMonk

Interview with the Creative Director:
https://www.polygon.com/interviews/2020/6/18/21295900/star-wars-squadrons-everything-you-need-to-know

Really does sound like the successor to the classic X-Wing/TIE Fighter games. I am very, very into First-Person cockpit view only.
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Tamas

I have watched the gameplay trailer. I am proper hyped.

celedhring

So, hum, in order to make 5v5 work does that mean that the ships will be equivalent?  :huh:

I mean Empire vs Alliance in Star Wars lore is supposed to be a quantity vs quality approach.

Syt

Quote from: celedhring on June 19, 2020, 10:49:58 AM
So, hum, in order to make 5v5 work does that mean that the ships will be equivalent?  :huh:

I mean Empire vs Alliance in Star Wars lore is supposed to be a quantity vs quality approach.

Watch the Star Wars Explained video, he covers it a bit. But yes, it seems they're *roughly* equivalent, with the rebel ships being a bit sturdier, and the Imps a bit faster or having a bit more fire power. Though I would question that the TIE-Fighter and X-Wing are near equivalent in firepower (in the video, the TIE is shown to have a slight edge ...).

Of course in the movies the X-Wings were never the bullet sponges (with shields) that they were in the X/T games or yore.
—Stephen Jay Gould

celedhring

Quote from: Syt on June 19, 2020, 10:53:06 AM
Quote from: celedhring on June 19, 2020, 10:49:58 AM

Watch the Star Wars Explained video, he covers it a bit. But yes, it seems they're *roughly* equivalent, with the rebel ships being a bit sturdier, and the Imps a bit faster or having a bit more fire power. Though I would question that the TIE-Fighter and X-Wing are near equivalent in firepower (in the video, the TIE is shown to have a slight edge ...).

Of course in the movies the X-Wings were never the bullet sponges (with shields) that they were in the X/T games or yore.

Meh, as you say X-Wings are far better armed. Unavoidable, I guess, with 5v5. I won't touch MP so I won't care too much as long as they don't put shields on TIE fighters.

Also I presume they'll shoehorn the different models into their MP class system. I.e. the TIE Interceptor is supposed to be better than the TIE/ln across the board, but they'll make it "less armed, but faster/more agile" to fit the interceptor class.

Anyhow, I'm parched of Star Wars content that's not yet another Battlefront or lightsaber action game so I'll be getting this as long as the SP campaign isn't just a token.

Habbaku

Watched the gameplay trailer yesterday and I'm pretty sold. The price point is nice, too.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Barrister

Yeah, I'm sold.

Only question is do I buy it for PC so I can use my HOTAS joystick, or on the PS4 so I can use the big screen (and let my boys play it too).
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.