JK Rowling reveals she is survivor of domestic abuse and sexual assault

Started by garbon, June 11, 2020, 07:30:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HVC

Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Valmy

Quote from: HVC on August 28, 2020, 10:20:19 AM
the weirdest one is she described how wizards poop.

Yeah that was bizarre.

How about if she wants things to be a certain way in her world she write books and put those aspects in her stories instead of just babbling on social media?

I mean she can say what she wants, I just sense she is acting erratically and it confuses me. Not that it is really any of my business but so long as the topic is being brought up here :P
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Syt

Quote from: Sheilbh on August 28, 2020, 10:17:35 AMShe did come out and say Dumbledore was gay though.

But it's not mentioned in the books or movies, I believe? So it kind of feels a bit hollow.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Valmy on August 28, 2020, 10:19:22 AM
I understood that was done at her request because she decided she was supposed to be black for some reason.

I mean she had full casting power on the films, if she wanted Hermione to be black she could have established that at the time.

But if I was mistaken about that I withdraw the example -_-
No it was colour-blind casting call and the director made the decision. Rowling approved it but just noted the book never specified so she could be white or black, and as I say there's apparently always been a stream of fans who thought Hermione was black.

Incidentally we definitely need more colour-blind casting especially in the UK given how much of our cultural production is period drama/adaptation. See Armando Ianucci's incredible recent David Copperfield, starring Dev Patel.
Let's bomb Russia!

Sheilbh

Quote from: Syt on August 28, 2020, 10:23:43 AM
Quote from: Sheilbh on August 28, 2020, 10:17:35 AMShe did come out and say Dumbledore was gay though.

But it's not mentioned in the books or movies, I believe? So it kind of feels a bit hollow.
Yeah (God this is aging me as the generation that bore the full brunt of Potter books :lol:). I agree. In the books it is mentioned that in the past he was obsessed with Grindelwald and they were very, very close but that's it. So arguably it's implied in the books and might be depicted in new prequel films - not sure, haven't seen them?
Let's bomb Russia!

DGuller

Quote from: Valmy on August 28, 2020, 10:14:57 AM
Quote from: DGuller on August 28, 2020, 10:07:25 AM
Quote from: Valmy on August 28, 2020, 08:36:41 AM
Doesn't she have a book to write or something? This woman just cannot keep out of the social media buzz.
Yeah, how dare someone express an opinion when the correct opinion has already been decided on.  Why does she worry her pretty little head about it?

Well that is your opinion on the matter but not one I expressed so I am not sure why you said "yeah".

I mean she expressed her opinion. I don't see why that requires months of needing some kind of affirmation for it or just to keep going over it again and again and again. She went on similar weird social media things in the past several years. Just going "oh Hermione is black now!" or whatever years and years after she finished her books. What even is she doing? Just fighting the good fight over various issues until she wins praise? Because that is a good use of ones time.

I just don't understand what she is going for with all this. This trans business is hardly the first time she has engaged with her social media in this way. She just keeps it going and going and keeping her name in various discussions for some reason.
So if you an express an opinion, and a cancel culture mob converges and calls you a transophobe, the appropritate response is "point taken, let's move on"?  Seething resentment is an entirely predictable outcome of an environment where people are shamed for expressing opinions that are currently incorrect.

Valmy

Quote from: Sheilbh on August 28, 2020, 10:25:03 AM
Quote from: Valmy on August 28, 2020, 10:19:22 AM
I understood that was done at her request because she decided she was supposed to be black for some reason.

I mean she had full casting power on the films, if she wanted Hermione to be black she could have established that at the time.

But if I was mistaken about that I withdraw the example -_-
No it was colour-blind casting call and the director made the decision. Rowling approved it but just noted the book never specified so she could be white or black, and as I say there's apparently always been a stream of fans who thought Hermione was black.

Incidentally we definitely need more colour-blind casting especially in the UK given how much of our cultural production is period drama/adaptation. See Armando Ianucci's incredible recent David Copperfield, starring Dev Patel.

And I think color blind casting is great, especially in stage plays where everything is not literal anyway. Though by also casting her children black it kind of suggested she the character was being made black retroactively. I mean the potters were not all color blind casted.

But it seemed to fit a pattern of her wanting to go back and make her work retroactively socially relevent to receive praise, which kind of fit a pattern of her needing praise and relevency...or at least that is the sense.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

garbon

Quote from: Sheilbh on August 28, 2020, 10:27:18 AM
Quote from: Syt on August 28, 2020, 10:23:43 AM

Yeah (God this is aging me as the generation that bore the full brunt of Potter books :lol:). I agree. In the books it is mentioned that in the past he was obsessed with Grindelwald and they were very, very close but that's it. So arguably it's implied in the books and might be depicted in new prequel films - not sure, haven't seen them?

I believe she's only just ever said it but such leanings never made it into the films.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Valmy

Quote from: DGuller on August 28, 2020, 10:31:05 AM
So if you an express an opinion, and a cancel culture mob converges and calls you a transophobe, the appropritate response is "point taken, let's move on"?  Seething resentment is an entirely predictable outcome of an environment where people are shamed for expressing opinions that are currently incorrect.

I mean it took a pretty long time and effort to get the cancel mob really going. At first I think most people tried to ignore it outside a few fanatics because her stories are so beloved. But is she really being cancelled? Her books and movies came out years ago. There is nothing to boycott. She is already a billionaire. Why does she care if some people think her opinions suck?

And of course her primary reading audience is millenials who tend to feel strongly about this so even those who are not cancel types, this is bad for business.

The Brain

I don't think people stop having feelings when they get rich.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Valmy

Quote from: The Brain on August 28, 2020, 10:40:28 AM

I was addressing the claim she was being cancelled.

The Brain

Quote from: Valmy on August 28, 2020, 10:42:07 AM

OK. I was addressing "Why does she care if some people think her opinions suck?".
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

crazy canuck

Quote from: DGuller on August 28, 2020, 10:31:05 AM
Quote from: Valmy on August 28, 2020, 10:14:57 AM
Quote from: DGuller on August 28, 2020, 10:07:25 AM
Quote from: Valmy on August 28, 2020, 08:36:41 AM
Doesn't she have a book to write or something? This woman just cannot keep out of the social media buzz.
Yeah, how dare someone express an opinion when the correct opinion has already been decided on.  Why does she worry her pretty little head about it?

Well that is your opinion on the matter but not one I expressed so I am not sure why you said "yeah".

I mean she expressed her opinion. I don't see why that requires months of needing some kind of affirmation for it or just to keep going over it again and again and again. She went on similar weird social media things in the past several years. Just going "oh Hermione is black now!" or whatever years and years after she finished her books. What even is she doing? Just fighting the good fight over various issues until she wins praise? Because that is a good use of ones time.

I just don't understand what she is going for with all this. This trans business is hardly the first time she has engaged with her social media in this way. She just keeps it going and going and keeping her name in various discussions for some reason.

I am not sure why you think the expression of ideas should be immune from criticism.  About 30 or so pages ago Grumbler correctly described what freedom of expression is.  I suggest you go back and read it. 

DGuller

Quote from: Valmy on August 28, 2020, 10:42:07 AM

It's possible to have failed attempted at cancelling.  Thankfully.  Just because you're being cancelled unsuccessfully doesn't mean that you're not allowed to have feelings about that.

Valmy

Gotcha. But needing social media praise is very unwise, which goes back to other things I was saying. She needs or wants affirmation for her unpopular opinions and that path leads to madness.