JK Rowling reveals she is survivor of domestic abuse and sexual assault

Started by garbon, June 11, 2020, 07:30:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Solmyr

Quote from: Admiral Yi on August 17, 2020, 07:04:51 PM
Quote from: Solmyr on August 17, 2020, 09:21:08 AM
People who say it's not ok to punch Nazis: Do you think it's ok to fight against Islamist terrorists?

Of course.  :huh:

So why is it ok to use violence against Islamists but not against Nazis?

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Solmyr on August 18, 2020, 03:50:56 AM
People who say it's not ok to punch Nazis: Do you think it's ok to fight against Islamist terrorists?

Beats me.  You asked about Islamic terrorists.  That's what I answered.

Solmyr

Quote from: Admiral Yi on August 18, 2020, 06:47:27 AM

Okay. :huh:

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

grumbler

Quote from: Valmy on August 17, 2020, 10:55:46 PM
I am not saying the whole country is shitty. I don't think that. I was simply saying that a lot of the horrible things I have heard about my country seem to be bearing themselves out and I find that depressing. And those polls have, and will be, born out in election results and political policies and cultural issues. They are hardly some outlier by some random poll.

You aren't saying that "the whole country is shitty," but instead talking about "how shitty the US is?" 

I don't see the distinction that you are making.

QuoteAlso I am upset because I do love my country and its people, but you seem to be attacking me for hating it? Very odd. If I really thought America was shitty I would not find what is going on very upsetting, it would fit my preconcieved notions.

I never said that you hate America?  What words did I use that you interpreted as such?

What I chide people on is this simplistic "I don't like something that happened in the US  so the US sucks" approach that completely ignores all nuances.

QuoteBut hey you say I am wrong and I hope you are right. May events bear your perspective out and not my concerns.

I'm pretty sure that events will show that lots of things about the US do not suck, and that a characterization of "the US sucks" is childish hyperbole.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

grumbler

Quote from: Solmyr on August 18, 2020, 07:50:21 AM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on August 18, 2020, 06:47:27 AM

Okay. :huh:

:huh:  Do you really believe that the same actions should be taken against people whose speech you dislike as should be taken against terrorists?  That's crazy-man talk.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

garbon

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2020/aug/28/jk-rowling-robert-f-kennedy-human-rights-award-trans-views

QuoteJK Rowling returns human rights award to group that denounces her trans views

JK Rowling is returning the Ripple of Hope award given to her last year by the Robert F Kennedy Human Rights (RFKHR) organisation after its president, Kennedy's daughter, criticised her views on transgender issues.

The award, which is for people who have shown a "commitment to social change", was presented to Rowling in December for her work with her children's charity, Lumos. On receiving the award, Rowling called it "one of the highest honours I've ever been given" and said "Robert Kennedy embodied everything I most admire in a human being". Previous winners include Barack Obama, archbishop Desmond Tutu and Joe Biden.

But earlier this month, Kerry Kennedy, a lawyer and president of RFKHR, put out a statement describing her "dismay" over what "deeply troubling transphobic tweets and statements" made by the Harry Potter author.

In early June, the author wrote a series of comments on Twitter laying out her views on gender identity, including one that said: "If sex isn't real, the lived reality of women globally is erased. I know and love trans people, but erasing the concept of sex removes the ability of many to meaningfully discuss their lives." These comments were condemned by LGBT charities, as well as several actors who have worked in the Harry Potter franchise. Rowling then wrote a highly personal essay revealing her experience of domestic abuse and sexual assault, in which she argued that trans women who have not undergone hormone therapy or surgical transition should not have access to single-sex spaces.

In her statement Kennedy said that Rowling's comments "had the effect of degrading trans people's lived experiences", and that her "attacks upon the transgender community are inconsistent with the fundamental beliefs and values of RFKHR and represent a repudiation of my father's vision".

"The science is clear and conclusive: sex is not binary," wrote Kennedy, adding that she had spoken with the author to express her "profound disappointment that she has chosen to use her remarkable gifts to create a narrative that diminishes the identity of trans and nonbinary people, undermining the validity and integrity of the entire transgender community".

On Thursday, Rowling announced on her website that she would be returning the award.

"Because of the very serious conflict of views between myself and RFKHR, I feel I have no option but to return the Ripple of Hope award bestowed upon me last year," Rowling wrote. "I am deeply saddened that RFKHR has felt compelled to adopt this stance, but no award or honour, no matter my admiration for the person for whom it was named, means so much to me that I would forfeit the right to follow the dictates of my own conscience."

Rowling said that Kennedy's statement "incorrectly implied that I was transphobic, and that I am responsible for harm to trans people".

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

The Brain

I'm shocked that a lawyer would make "sex is real" into "sex is binary".
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Valmy

Doesn't she have a book to write or something? This woman just cannot keep out of the social media buzz.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

DGuller

Quote from: Valmy on August 28, 2020, 08:36:41 AM
Doesn't she have a book to write or something? This woman just cannot keep out of the social media buzz.
Yeah, how dare someone express an opinion when the correct opinion has already been decided on.  Why does she worry her pretty little head about it?

Eddie Teach

You have nearly 50k posts here and fault her for speaking her mind?

The buzz is stupid, but blame it on the bees.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

garbon

Quote from: DGuller on August 28, 2020, 10:07:25 AM
Yeah, how dare someone express an opinion when the correct opinion has already been decided on.  Why does she worry her pretty little head about it?

I think its more like why does she want this to continue?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Valmy

Quote from: DGuller on August 28, 2020, 10:07:25 AM

Well that is your opinion on the matter but not one I expressed so I am not sure why you said "yeah".

I mean she expressed her opinion. I don't see why that requires months of needing some kind of affirmation for it or just to keep going over it again and again and again. She went on similar weird social media things in the past several years. Just going "oh Hermione is black now!" or whatever years and years after she finished her books. What even is she doing? Just fighting the good fight over various issues until she wins praise? Because that is a good use of ones time.

I just don't understand what she is going for with all this. This trans business is hardly the first time she has engaged with her social media in this way. She just keeps it going and going and keeping her name in various discussions for some reason.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Valmy on August 28, 2020, 10:14:57 AM
I mean she expressed her opinion. I don't see why that requires months of needing some kind of affirmation for it or just to keep going over it again and again and again. She went on similar weird social media things in the past several years. Just going "oh Hermione is black now!" or whatever years and years after she finished her books. What even is she doing? Just fighting the good fight over various issues until she wins praise? Because that is a good use of ones time.

I actually don't think that was her - I think The Cursed Child cast a black actor as Hermione and Rowling didn't have an issue with it (though in the books Hermione's race is never specified, just that she has curly hair and I know a few people who always thought she was black until the films came out). She did come out and say Dumbledore was gay though.
Let's bomb Russia!

Valmy

Quote from: Sheilbh on August 28, 2020, 10:17:35 AM
I actually don't think that was her - I think The Cursed Child cast a black actor as Hermione and Rowling didn't have an issue with it (though in the books Hermione's race is never specified, just that she has curly hair and I know a few people who always thought she was black until the films came out). She did come out and say Dumbledore was gay though.

I understood that was done at her request because she decided she was supposed to be black for some reason.

I mean she had full casting power on the films, if she wanted Hermione to be black she could have established that at the time.

But if I was mistaken about that I withdraw the example -_-