JK Rowling reveals she is survivor of domestic abuse and sexual assault

Started by garbon, June 11, 2020, 07:30:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Valmy on October 12, 2020, 11:12:18 AM
Quote from: Crazy_Ivan80 on October 12, 2020, 11:10:01 AM
sounds like orwellian newthink.

What the fuck does this mean? I mean I have read a bit of Orwell but I guess I missed this in Animal Farm.

It's from 1984.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

merithyn

Quote from: The Brain on October 12, 2020, 04:28:01 AM

Why do you think the supposed advantages of trans women would be unfair? If trans women are women, how is any advantage of theirs different from the advantage a cis woman with awesome genes has over other cis women?

People who go through puberty with an excess of testosterone build bigger muscles and stronger bones. Those don't entirely go away even with testosterone inhibiting drugs. They diminish, however, which is what makes this so tricky. A transwoman who transitions by taking testasterone-inhibiting drugs before puberty is, physically, no different than a cis-woman.

At the same time, there are any number of women who are cis-women with an overabundance of testosterone themselves. They are simply born that way. Because of that, they, like transwomen who transition post-puberty, are going to build bigger muscles and stronger bones. We do not test these women, and we don't exclude these women.

As such, it seems rather disingenuous to exclude transwomen. The primary issue would be transwomen choosing not to take their testosterone inhibiting drugs while training. That is akin to a cis-woman taking testosterone, which is banned (as I understand it). I know several transwomen and the idea of going off their meds is horrific to them, so I can't see this being a big issue, but since there's concern, testing for this seems appropriate, just as testing for extreme levels of testosterone in cis-women is done.

But this isn't cut-and-dried. There are so many nuances to all of this. That's why I say that I'm really glad that I don't have to make this decision. Transwomen are women (and I really wish we'd stop calling them trans and instead just call them women or men), but because of the public debate and vast sums of money on the line sometimes, I think there has to be some form of making sure that it remains a relatively even playing field. How that's done ... yeah... really glad I don't have to make those decisions.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Razgovory

Quote from: DGuller on October 11, 2020, 09:17:12 PM
Let's make this conversation more interesting.  What it is that most people are thinking but not saying when discussing this topic, leading to the inability to hold a coherent conversation as we're witnessing here?  My guess is that people are desperate to avoid any insinuation that being born transexual is a birth defect of some kind.

Damn it, Dguller.  Try harder!  This conversation still isn't interesting.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Razgovory

Is abuse of transsexual protections a big problem in sports right now?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

merithyn

Quote from: Razgovory on October 12, 2020, 12:10:28 PM

I know of one transwoman who wishes to compete at a high level of sports, and there are cis-women in that sport who object.

I have no idea if there are others.

Razgovory

I was thinking more of abuses.  Someone identifying as tran just so they would be better in sports.

merithyn

Quote from: Razgovory on October 12, 2020, 12:22:19 PM
I was thinking more of abuses.  Someone identifying as tran just so they would be better in sports.

I've not heard of that happening, which doesn't mean much as I'm not specifically following this type of thing.

Josquius

Quote from: Razgovory on October 12, 2020, 12:22:19 PM

I don't think there has been a practical example of that yet. Though certainly you've had conspiracies about some women actually being men.
And there was a futurama episode.

I can however recall examples of able bodied people posing as disabled to get into the paralympics. The Spanish basketball team one is the famous one.

I think a key point with this is that it's only very recently that countries have really started to recognise transsexuals to a decent extent. Its one of those things where a completely positive change, making things easier for trans people, can open up new avenues for people to be dicks.
██████
██████
██████

Valmy

Quote from: Eddie Teach on October 12, 2020, 11:41:23 AM

What the fuck does this mean? I mean I have read a bit of Orwell but I guess I missed this in Animal Farm.

It's from 1984.

Ok how does it sound like that thing? And what does that mean that it sounds like that thing?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

Virtually every loophole in sports has been ruthlessly exploited to gain a competitive advantage. So even if it is not a big deal now we can anticipate it will be.

I recall a few controversies in this area in the past that resulted in this exact discussion on this board so I think it does happen? But I don't know.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Sheilbh

I don't think so. So that was sort of the basis of the complaints against Caster Semenya, that she had an unfair advantage. As I say I think that was handled dreadfully from the complaint to the investigation and everything else.

The issue, I think, is bigger in a pretty heavy contact sport like rugby where as well as issues of inclusion and fiarness, you have safety concerns (that wouldn't apply, for example, in touch or tag rugby).
Let's bomb Russia!

grumbler

I believe he means Newspeak (the simplification of language to prevent complex thoughts among the proletariat).  Or maybe he means doublethink (words that convey contradiction in and of themselves, to make it difficult to think in absolutes).  [I am oversimplifying, of course].  I don't believe that "newthink"  is an Orwellian term.

In any case, it seems a vague and bizarre accusation, especially when devoid of any specifics.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

crazy canuck

Quote from: grumbler on October 13, 2020, 07:35:28 AM

I believe he means Newspeak (the simplification of language to prevent complex thoughts among the proletariat).  Or maybe he means doublethink (words that convey contradiction in and of themselves, to make it difficult to think in absolutes).  [I am oversimplifying, of course].  I don't believe that "newthink"  is an Orwellian term.

In any case, it seems a vague and bizarre accusation, especially when devoid of any specifics.

Ivan engaged in Newspeak.