Are you High Brow, or Low Brow (TIME Magazine 1949)

Started by Syt, May 22, 2020, 11:55:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oexmelin

Quote from: merithyn on May 26, 2020, 07:46:36 PM
Which Life article is this? I'm flipped through the magazine, but didn't see this. Is it the High-Brow/Low-Brow article?

"Judge Hamill Hears a Divorce Case", p. 124
Que le grand cric me croque !

merithyn

Quote from: Barrister on May 25, 2020, 04:17:20 PM
Okay - now how the FUCK did you manage to find that?  Teach me your mad skillz.  :worthy:

The details all seem to check out - right part of the world, right age, name of Gladys, son's name is Robert Turner...  but I didn't see her maiden name anywhere in the life article, and there's no mention of the first husband (understandably so given the arson).  And all of those names are relatively common.

And of course now I want to know if Col Joe Wiley was the neighbour from two doors down she was accused of having an affair with.  Gladys did get married the following year in 1950 to him.

The little boy said the neighbor's name was Bill. So not likely.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Barrister

Quote from: merithyn on May 26, 2020, 09:48:41 PM
Quote from: Barrister on May 25, 2020, 04:17:20 PM
Okay - now how the FUCK did you manage to find that?  Teach me your mad skillz.  :worthy:

The details all seem to check out - right part of the world, right age, name of Gladys, son's name is Robert Turner...  but I didn't see her maiden name anywhere in the life article, and there's no mention of the first husband (understandably so given the arson).  And all of those names are relatively common.

And of course now I want to know if Col Joe Wiley was the neighbour from two doors down she was accused of having an affair with.  Gladys did get married the following year in 1950 to him.

The little boy said the neighbor's name was Bill. So not likely.

Thank you. :hug:

Not that it would have mattered - I don't care if your spouse has an affair, you don't try to burn down the house they live in!  Just curious.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

merithyn

I'll point out that the judge said that he doesn't believe the woman had an affair. The man clearly did beat her and the children though.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...